Dropped iPod in Sink!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by maxrobertson, Oct 15, 2006.

1. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

My sister just dropped her iPod Nano into the sink! It wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it into the computer and the screen turned on a flickered, but nothing happened. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it broken? I told her to just let it dry out for awhile, and maybe it'll work, but I'm not too hopeful :(.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

wow, that sucks, just let it dry out a while. My cell phone went through the wash once, and it still works. (although the front outside screen doesn't)
    Out of curiosity, was it the 1st or 2nd gen?

3. maxrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was a first gen 1 GB Nano, so luckily it was sort of old, cheap, and extremely scratched up. I feel bad for her though, because she saved up her money for a long time! Thanks for your reply :)

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Yeah, just let it dry out for a couple days, i'm not sure if trying to turn it on/plugging it into the computer was a good thing, might have shorted it out. but we can always be hopeful.

5. maxrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just leave it alone for now. Thanks for you help!

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I remember reading a review of the iPod nano somewhere (ARSTechnica I think), and they put it through a washing machine cycle, dried it out for a few days and it still worked. So there is hope!

7. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

yeah let it dry out....I wouldn't have plugged it in soo soon though. flip it upside down too and let it dry out that way...make sure that all the water is out before trying to start it back up again.

8. maxrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's really great to hear! I thought I'd read something about that a long time ago, but I wasn't sure. I hope I didn't ruin it, though, by plugging it in to the computer :eek: .

9. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

why did you turn it on? you may have just fried it while doing that. you should have let it dry out first. well we shall see

10. maxrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know! I let it sit since last night, but she said something and it just made me want to see... I guess I didn't really know how long it would take, and it was really dry. I guess I was just stupid :mad: .

Ps- Thanks for the links!

11. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, that sucks. I hope your sister's Nano is ok.
    My 12 year old niece just put her Nano through the washer AND the dryer. She forgot it was in her pants pocket. She was too afraid to turn in on to see if it worked, so she is letting it sit all this week and dry out while her family is away on vacation and then she will try turning it on when they get back. I feel bad for her because, like your sister, she saved up her own money to buy it.

12. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

do you have the <clean> version of all your songs now?? :p

seriously though, that sucks big time. I doubt there is much you can do. It is likely similar to a pager into the toilet. d-e-d dead.

13. maxrobertson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I've read a few accounts on the internet that said iPods went through the washer and were completely fine. My sister only dropped it in the sink, and I don't think it wasn't even full of water. I guess time will tell.

14. cschreppel macrumors regular

I've dropped other devices in water - cellphones, PDAs, etc. - just give them a few days (3 seems best for some reason) to dry out. Wait a week if you have the patience.