Dropped iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macguymike, Feb 25, 2004.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

My iPod belt clip caught on the seatbelt in my car today and popped off and fell to the ground. :(

The metal casing on the right side of my iPod is now pushed out slightly; it no longer sits flush with the white face plate.

Is this fixable? It doesn't seem to want to pop back in place.

Also, it may just be me but the screen seems a bit darker, more pixelated after the drop. There is a visable "edge" between the screen itself and a clearer blue area bordering it when I have the backlight on.

I bought Best Buy's insurance policy with it - does anyone know if I could get it exchanged it under this coverage?

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sorry to hear about that.

I would certainly call Best Buy to find out if it were me. And I'd be pretty PO'd if they didn't repair it!

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

this happens every once in a while with mine. some gentle pressure (from your fingers, nothing stronger) on the sides of the metal casing at the area of bowing out will usually fix it. You'll feel the metal case "pop" back into place as the plastic clips move back into their homes.

Hope that helps - not worth placing it in the questionable hands of the best buy techs quite yet ;) The screen thing, however, may be a different issue, and if you paid for (were suckered into) the long-term service contract, take advantage of it. They owe you that money back anyway.

4. filmmaker2002 macrumors regular

Good luck with that. Best Buy will find any excuse not to repair or fix something. Happened recently with my digital camera. I had minor dings and dents from 2 years ago, then it stopped working last month, sent it in under the extended warranty (which I bought for 80% off while I used to work there) and they refused to fix it due to damage...bastards.

5. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

The case can be popped back together. If you're not able to do it by hand, you can use a knife blade to gently pry it into place. However, use extreme caution when doing so, so as not to scratch the plastic. I've heard a guitar pick also works quite well and is much less likely to mar the plastic.

Popping the case together may or may not solve your screen issues if it has separated from the front. Good luck.