Dropped my MacBook Air 11''

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by k3roro, Mar 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

So yesterday while cleaning the table I knocked off my MBA. It went from the table to the chair, bounced off the wall and then on the floor.

I don't see any cosmetic damages and it appears that it's still working. It was completely turned off at the time so hopefully nothing inside is damaged.

Should I consider myself lucky or have it examined.

2. macrumors 68040

peapody

If it works it works. What's the point of having it examined?

3. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think you should consider yourself extremely lucky.

Next time, I suggest that you clean the table very gently.

4. macrumors 65816

Dweez

It's working so you came out lucky. Use it and count your lucky stars. :)

5. macrumors 6502

Are you sure your MBA don't have legs?

6. macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

"have it examined" seriously, it's a computer, if it works then it works...:roll eyes:

That is all.

7. macrumors 6502

prvt.donut

I'll examine it of you. Just send me $100 to my paypal account and ship it to me!;)

8. macrumors 68030

There aren't any moving parts in the MBA (well except the fan)....so if it still works all is well.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

I was quite scared when it happened, it's like a scene in the movies where everything went slow motion.

I guess having the chair and the wall break it's fall it wasn't that bad. I was so scared that it was going to suffer cosmetic damages as I thought aluminum wasn't that strong to begin with.

10. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Well if it works then everything should be fine.

11. macrumors 65816

AlexH

Count yourself lucky dude! Keep on rollin', just a little more carefully next time! :cool:

12. macrumors 6502

You should be kneeling down to the high heavens if you have not already done so.

Just hearing your epic story made my heart skip a beat.

13. macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

you're the luckiest man alive right now.

14. macrumors regular

Here's one for luck and stupidity: forgot my Air had Caffeine running, stuck it in a tight carrying bag, and forgot all about it for maybe an hour. When I pulled it out of the bag again the fan(s?) was running full blast but the machine had turned itself off (maybe a function of the i5) to protect itself from melting. It was almost too hot to touch and I was sure I had cooked it. Luckily once it cooled down enough for the fans to turn off, I held the power button down for a few seconds and it booted up normally. It seems to not have lost any functionality or incurred any damage. Heat is the bane of all electronics and I may have shortened its ultimate lifespan a bit, who knows, but I do know two things: 1) I am extremely lucky, and 2) Caffeine is not an app for forgetful notebook users.

15. macrumors 6502

You got lucky it didn't cause cosmetic damage as that would have been a real pain to sort out, as others have said a lack of moving parts should mean you are fine.