Dropped my Powerbook! Now what?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Glossybear, May 17, 2003.

1. Glossybear macrumors member

Oct 1, 2002
    Hollywood CA
    Tonight I knocked my 12" PB off the armrest of the couch and it droped to the floor (≈20 inches)

It was making a loud rythmic clicking noise, and it sounded like it was coming from the Harddrive (or at least that corner).

I quickly poped out the battery and when I put it back in and re-booted it started clicking again for maybe 20 seconds.

Then it stopped clicking and FSCKed.

After another reboot everything seems to be fine. It runs good, no noise, no odd behaviour.

I have Applecare. Should I send it in?
    Or did I dodge the bullet this time?
  2. davegoody macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2003
    Reading, Berkshire, England

When I had my 15" TiBook I managed to drop it from a similar distance. Same issues as you, disk drive clicked, then the FS fixed itself. For a couple of weeks all was well, then one day in the middle of an (incredibly) important presentation - HDD failed with noise that sounded like a wounded animal. Fortunately had a backup but was too late for the presentation. Learn from this and get it sorted BEFORE it lets you down. Good luck :rolleyes:
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Remember Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage.... if you send it in and Apple suspect the fault is because of accidental damage and not a manufacturing fault then they'll charge you for the repair....

If you have your PowerBook insured then if it needs to be repaired they'll foot the bill, or even replace it.... Applecare is NOT a personal insurance policy!!

Hope you get it sorted though!!
  4. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i think you are lucky.

i would back everythink up and try applecare to fix it if it does not look like the cpu was dropped....

in sitges on the east coast of spain. loving it.

out of time on the computer....

you´re all jealous, i know. :p
  5. aethier macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2003
    Montréal, Canada
    I have dropped my iBook from that same higth, but nothing happened to it. it was even on and the the lid open. when i picked it up, i looked around for physical damage and it was fine. this happened last week and i havent had a single problem. But i think the ibook is disigned to be more resistent then the powerbooks..

6. celaurie macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland.