Dropped powerbook! HELP!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hsvguy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. hsvguy macrumors newbie

May 15, 2004
    Hi guys,

OK. I've done something completely stupid. As the title suggests, I dropped my powerbook recently. After picking it up off the desk, it shocked me and I dropped it. It wasnt a far drop, but as anyone knows, it doesnt take much to do damage.

Wanna hear the worst part, It's only about 2 weeks old! I know it isnt covered by apple since it was my fault but i need it to be fixed. Someone told me that it usually cost a lot, which i hope is not the case.

Here is a description: It's the latest model 12" combo. It slipped from my grip and landed on its side with the screen bouncing open. As a result, there is an outward dint above the screen release button on the main body. I later figured out that this is because the main body itself is bent meaning the battery doesnt sit flush with the casing anymore. It also rocks slightly when i type.

Everything else works fine. Please tell me it can be fixed! Its only 2 weeks old and my first mac notebook in over 10 years. Im in uni now, so i really want it to be perfect.

Any ideas?

2. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    Beyond trying to bend it back to the way it was, I would just be happy that it still works. Maybe you have an insurance policy on your place that will cover incidentals like that? Other than that, just consider the dent something that adds character to it.
  3. hacurio1 macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2002

On how much you whant to spend, check pbfixit.com. You can buy a new bottom enclosure for $250; however, you need to disassemble the powerbook. Call them, and get quotes form them and apple. Maybe they can do it for you.
  4. web_god61 macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    Sad to hear but if i were you i'd send it back to apple and tell them if they dont fix it youll go to the papers saying how it shocked you and you dropped it and apple wont fix it. If you didn't get shocked you wouldn't have dropped it so its technically the powerbooks fault. You could always sue for faulty equipmemnt.
    I really think apple should fix this. And being zapped by powerbooks isn't unheard of.
  5. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2004
    So. Cal
    As an electrician, my questions regarding the shock are, was it static electricity? or was it plugged in? Was it just a quick shock or longer duration? Static wouldn't be Apple's fault IMO. However, if it was plugged in, and the shock was more than just the quick snap of static, you could have a problem with the power supply and connection, which would be something that Apple should be concerned about.
  6. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    really? :confused: i've never heard of (or even remotely experienced it).

but at college i had heard of someone's TiBook power adapter literally blowing up, smoke, sparks and all. :eek:

and my power adapter sometimes goes off, for seemingly no reason. i leave the PB on all night, and i'll get up in the morning to find that it's sleeping, and no light is on for the power adapter connection. i've got to unplug, then plug in the power adapter to the wall socket again to get it to work. weird huh? well i guess i've still got about 2 years of AppleCare, so if my power adapter dies, should be okay...

as for fixing your PB, of course it can be fixed, just a matter of which parts need to be replaced, and if they're expensive parts. i'm guessing the lower part of the aluminum case will be replaced, just hope the keyboard, or that top plate isn't wrecked. the keyboard and trackpad are all one piece, and fairly expensive i hear.
  7. Mblazened macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2002
    The Valley
    don't think so

How can you get shocked AFTER you pick up the powerbook? :confused: If it did shock you at all, it would be the instant you touched it, not after you pick it up. You dropped it like a klutz, admit it. Face the music and pay up.

8. pcproff macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale,FL.
    pretty harsh words by last postee, I wouldnt drop my book if it was on fire.
  9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard stories of peoples powerbooks carrying electric currents when plugged in. Sometimes I'm pretty sure my tibook is slightly charged. However, even if the powerbook did shock him, i doubt Apple will believe him or do anything about it. Many people have complained about the powerbook shocking them, and I beleive Apple's official response is to make sure it is plugged into a grounded outlet, and to check your home's wiring. Do a search on the Apple Support Discussions and you'll find plenty of posts on this.
  10. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    Wait - there is hope!

Assuming you have some kind of homeowner's insurance/renter's insurance, tell them that because of a problem with the wiring in the house, a laptop plugged into an outlet shocked you. Because of the shock, you dropped the laptop, and it is now damaged. Make a claim for the cost of repair. Also, some homeowner's insurances have accident clauses, so check that.

If this doesn't work/you don't have homeowner's insurance, try purchasing an accident protection insurance (like SafeWare). For companies like this, they often don't check the laptop/desktop before giving you a policy. Wait a few days, then fill out a claim form.

Good luck. Don't listen to the idiots calling you a klutz - accidents happen. If nothing works out, be thankful it still operates properly.