Dropped Powerbook? Wont power on.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jadekitty24, Feb 8, 2006.

1. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Oh my I am in a pickle. (Sorry-I get really cheezy when I'm upset) The other day I tried to go on the internet, but the computer says there is no airport card installed!! Out of nowhere. I then repaired permissions, I even tried verifying and repairing the disc (even though I don't know what that does) and it wont finish verifying, it says "header needs minor repair". So, being too upset to investigate further, I shut it down and went to sleep. When I came home last night I decided to tackle it again. I noticed a LOT of dents on my Powerbook. When the Powerbook opened it did so hesitantly, as if the latch was screwed up. This is obviously where all problems started, I must not have noticed these dents and such the other day. Anyway, I hit the power button to boot it and nothing but the fan comes on. Quite loudly, I might add. I've never heard it so loud. I don't know what is going on-I know I didn't drop it, although before everything went wonky my brother spent the night and made a very hasty exit the next morning. I don't know if there is anything I can do to fix this, I doubt it, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I also have another question. Suppose the PB was dropped (it obviously was, or thrown or knocked over). Being under Applecare, would they fix the above problems or would it be on me to do so? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    PS-Don't know if this info will help but here it is:powerbook G4 1.5ghz running 10.4.4.

UPDATE:
    I got it to power on (the airport card had somehow been disconnected) and I went straight to "Verify Disc". I get these results:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    %)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

What should I do now? Also, FYI I found out my brother threw the Powerbook. That is where all the damage occured.

2. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Kill him.

As for the Powerbook, Apple Care?

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Make your brother pay for it thats what i would do

4. cnakeitaro macrumors 6502

I don't think Applecare covers damage like that unless you can prove you had an issue before the damage occured, even then I don't know. Applecare doesn't cover "accidental" damage like that.

5. dmetzcher macrumors regular

This is correct. If they see dents, they don't support your issue.

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Are there any visible dints/marks of it being dropped? If not then you can take it to the Apple store, play dumb (just say it stopped working all of a sudden) and they should repair it for you under Apple Care.

7. jadekitty24 thread starter macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I want to but I don't think I'd care much for jail.
    He's an un-employed bum who isn't even man enough to own up to what he did.
    There was no issue until the damage occurred, I believe.
    Yeah, I was afraid of that.
    Yup, there is definitely visible damage. There are a few dents on the sides in various areas including in the latch area, making it a pain to close. The damage is obvious enough that they will notice it right off the bat. Although I am pissed as hell, I can live with the physical damage, I'm just worried about my hard drive. I don't know how to interpret the "Disc verify" error I had. I've been using it and it seems ok so far. Thank you to everyone who replied. And if anyone knows what I should do about my "Disc verify" error please let me know.

8. jtalerico macrumors 6502

read errors? I would backup everything.. (Guessing that it works) buy a new HD.

9. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

MAKE YOUR BROTHER PAY! YOU MUST GET REVENGE!... *Ahem* Well really if it wasn't you fault somhowe you must get him to pay.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Well, wait, did you just run Disk Verify or did you do Repair too? If not, that's why it stopped after telling you what was wrong. You have to boot off your Tiger disk and do Repair Disk.

11. jadekitty24 thread starter macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I finally figured that out. At first I was trying a "Verify" and it wouldn't finish, saying the volume header needed minor repair. I then booted from the cd and ran Disc Utility (I verified and repaired the disc). I believe the problem has been fixed. Ok, the main problem has been taken care of. I'm just wondering, being a dumb-ass when it comes to computers, what exactly does that mean? (Volume header needing repair) Does that mean my hard drive was damaged as well?
    My lesson has been learned. Never leave your laptop unattended. This could have turned out so much worse. The powerbook is humming along like usual after being thrown across the room, at a distance of probably 10 feet. Thrown by a rather large and strong dude, I might add. Aside from cosmetic damage and a sticky latch it has help up like a champ.
    Again, thanks to all who helped. I'd like to say I hope this thread will help out someone else in a similar situation, hopefully no one will need it;)

12. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

sounds like your brother is a jealous poor-white-trash scum-bag. albeit, he's your brother and i'll bet u love him, but MAN... i'd probably kill my brother. if Applecare won't fix it, (it doesn't sound like they will, they don't fix "accidental" damage), i'd take it apart and sell what u can on ebay and save up for a Macbook Pro (and a security lock so u can lock it to a table.)