Dropping Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BicyclePunk, Sep 21, 2004.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

Ok, I know this is a vague question and is like finding a needle in a haystack, but figured I'd ask it anyway...just in case there is a known problem of which I'm unaware.

Anyway...recently I've noticed the wireless connection that I set up in my house suddenly drops my 15" 1ghz PowerBook with airport extreme. I'm using a Belkin Wireless router (b...not...g). All of a sudden, I have no connection. The base station has all the proper lights on, and the DSL modem is running fine. But the laptop is not connected. Yet, my wife can still connect on her windows laptop.

So are there any issues out there that could cause this? Anything I can do to further troubleshoot?

Thanks.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

similar problem(no fix yet)

With my computer, it always seems to have a similar problem when it comes back from being asleep. I will just stop doing anything internet related even though it shows I am connected to the wireless router. Even weirder, sometimes I will be doing stuff on my computer and it will all the sudden just loose the connection and the router won't show up at all in the internet connection. The only way I have found to solve the problem is to unplug the router for a few minutes. This seems to only happen at night though, during the day if I am home, everything works normal.

Hope someone can help us here.(sorry I couldn't be of any :) )

3. Spizzo macrumors 6502

My brother just moved into a new apartment, and he was having the same problem. At the same time, his mac and mine would both lose connection, while his roommates PC would still be online.

What we did was switch the router to another channel, and havent had any problems since. I dont know if we were getting interference from something else, or what.
    :confused:

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Often times a 2.4GHz cordless phone will disrupt the wireless signal if it is near either the receiving computer or the base station. If there appears to be random dropping of signal, it can be cleared up by switching the channel on the base station.

5. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what happens with mine...especially at night! But I'm going to try switching channels on the router and see what happens. At least I know I'm not alone with this. I'm at work now, but will check when I get home, and report back here. Thanks!!

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

my linksys router will do this about once a week. i found if i reset the DHCP on the router it will let me back on. but that is weird, it should automatically set the DHCP. :-/ though as i think of it now it hasnt happened in a couple of weeks (knock on wood). i dont know about changing the chanel, because i have already changed the channel to get my airport express to work. . . and i have the hardest time changing the channel on that.

7. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

good idea

Man, I never even thought about changing the channel ( sometimes my brain just doesn't work). I am in class right now, but when I get home, I will try it out and share what happens. We do have a 2.4ghz phone, and sometimes I put the phone right next to either place ( hub or computer). Never even gave that a thought before.

8. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...silly question, but if the phone is not in use, but still not in the cradle, will that make a difference? Hell...if it's in the cradle, too? The base station for my phone is right next to and/or on top of the base station.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There are a lot of report of the latest Panther update and Airport card update causing problems like this. Random dropping of WiFi connections. I too had this problem with my PowerBook. The solution, which still makes no sense to me, is to hard reset your base station. I hard reset my NetGear WiFi router and upgraded it's firmware and I haven't had the problem since.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I had instances where if I had my handset near my Mac and the phone rang, it would knock out my wireless connection. I also had instances where it would drop without apparent reason while the phone was near the Mac (perhaps just doing a quick check for the base station or something?). Once I changed channels, no more problems.

As for the update breaking the system as well, I've heard that and completely forgot about it (I haven't run the update, shame on me, so don't have a problem).

11. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

This is when I started to notice it, too. It first happened on my PowerMac dual 500 G4 with the old Airport Card. But I'll try to change the channel on the base station and see how that works. Apple should fix this, if this is where the problem is.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Note, I didn't change my channel, I just reset the WiFi router.

13. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

I know I reset the router by unplugging it for a minute last week, but that didn't change anything. Is there more to resetting it than that? Thanks.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm not familiar with your set up, but I'm guessing there's a reset button or switch of some sort on there?

15. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Cool. I'll have to check when I get home. Now that you mention it...I think there is a reset button. Thanks!

16. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...I changed the channel on the router. Just did it now and things seem fine. I'm also starting to think this whole problem has something to do with our baby monitor. Not sure, though. If things are still screwed up, I'll try resetting the router....it does have a reset button. Stay tuned.

17. madforrit macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem - Powerbook 1.5 can't use the network after waking from sleep despite seeing the signal. Always fixes once I restart the router (D-Link DI624) by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I tried resetting it via the pinhole and that hasn't fixed the problem. As for changing the channel, it seems that the router has only one channel - 6. Anyone know how I can change this? It only gives me one option for the channel when I use the router's webpage config...

18. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...reset the router, changed channels and everything. Still the same problem. What's even more weird is that my desk top with the old AirPort card is connected even less. But on that machine, I'm showing a fairly strong signal...but it's not connecting. this is pretty frustrating......

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Try downloading and reinstalling the 10.3.5 Combo Updater, as well as the latest AirPort card update. Plus do some WiFi Router firmware upgrades if available.. it's probably been a while since you've done that, right?

20. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Of course the firmware update for my router won't unstsuff. But it's a year old anyway. But I installed AirPort Card Update 2004-08-31 just now. I don't think it did anything, though. I'm gonna try to reinstall the 10.3.5 combined and see how that works. Would having a g card running on a b router be that much of a problem? how about a b and g running on a b router? Maybe I should just buy a new g router?? Stay tuned.

21. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I have a linksys (b) router with the exact same problem, but I was able to fix it. All I did was update the firmware for my router, and I havnt had a single problem since! computer sees router just fine, no connection drop outs, and even after I wake my PB up, its immediately online :D

so what I would do, it look and see if your routers brand has firmware updates for your particular router, 9 times out of 10 that will fix most major problems.

22. madforrit macrumors regular

Downloaded and installed latest version of firmware for my DI624, even though this was the same version that was already installed. It fixed the problem though, it seems... :confused:

23. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Well...I downloaded a firmware update for my Belkin router, but when I try to unstuff it, it throws some kind of error saying it wasn't compressed properly. I'm gonna see if my wife can download and decompress it. That, or I'm going to buy a new router tomorrow.....

24. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok...on the wife's windows laptop and connecting to the wireless network wonderfully right now. Tried downloading and unstuffing the firmware update for the router from this machine, too. No luck. Bad stuff. Screw it...I'm going to buy a new router today. Damn. :mad:

25. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Another vote that Belkin makes poor quality hardware?