Drugs = No HIV Vaccine?

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Muffin Man, Aug 22, 2004.

1. The Muffin Man macrumors regular

I made a theory tonight. It is that one or more of the people who have messed up their lives with drugs might have invented an HIV vaccine if they hadn't started drugs. Perhaps they made this person fail high school or college and were therefore not able to go to med school and learn about all the stuff. Anyone think this is possible?

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

What are you talking about? Are you high?

3. The Muffin Man thread starter macrumors regular

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    da hell kind of muffins are u baking i didnt understand the post at all

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I suppose the corollary might be that people may have done something different than what they did, if they were doing something different at the time they did it.

It may also be useful to ponder how much wood a woodchuck would chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Or maybe the way you look at things, maybe if Daddy hadn't made it easy for him to avoid the draft, and didn't dodge "higher" NG service GW might have the cure for AIDS?

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Let me try to interpret.

Is it possible that??

The person or people who had the capability to find the cure for AIDS did not reach their potential because they chose to use drugs and not even finish high school.

Personally, no I don't think so. Although it is an interesting thought.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or you can say things like, "Well, if Ernest Hemmingway wasn't an alcoholic, he wouldn't have been such a good writer." ;)

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know what you meant...

It is a shame that there is so much wasted (no pun intended) potential in the world. People who could have done a lot of good for this world but didn't, either because of their own self-inflicted stupidity or because of something beyond their control. I find it's best not to think about it.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would kind of follow the logic of abortions. We will never know what all those lost children might have contributed to society. Just being on drugs doesn't mean that a person can't be productive. There are a lot more lost to car accidents caused by drunk driving.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    ah.. the 'butterfly effect-esq' discussion.. i've had many of those with my buds early in the morning after some great spacecakes.

12. The Muffin Man thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, people have brought that point up about abortions, but I'm still pro-choice. Couldn't you just as easily say not to use contraception because those eggs/sperm might turn into Albert Einstein type people?

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yes.

I tend to go for the: If God really wants someone to come into existence, they will ;)

PS like your signature!

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The converse is also "true" (as true as anything can be in a conversation like this). How many "bad people" have been aborted or brought down by drugs.

Really, do you think Hitler woulda been all "final solution" if he was baked out of his mind half the day?

Lethal

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

While I think your conjecture is logical and plausible, I fear that the construction lacks much by way of utility. How useful in both a practical and theoretical sense is the statement that those whose lives failed because of some external factor were unable to accomplish as much as they would have in the absence of that factor? I believe that the conclusion to be reached, which is the one you DID reach, is trivial and self-evident. Clearly, millions of people across time have ruined their lives over whims, sins, indulgences, and vices. Certainly, those individuals would have contributed more to society if not for the negative side effects of the aforementioned whims, sins, indulgences, and vices. While we cannot argue conclusively that this truism may be applied with confidence to the case of the development of an AIDS vaccine, it might be safely assumed that the AIDS vaccine is only one of many positive contributions to society that may have been lost by way of certain individuals' self-destructive behavior.

What I think is confusing others is the significance of this realization. I don't think it provides much insight into either the cures or the causes of decadent behavior, nor does it really offer new ideas and knowledge with regard to the negative effects of such behavior; that is, it is already well-known and well-accepted that the use of drugs, along with many other unsavory activities, threatens to harm oneself, one's fellow people, and one's society.

While I think you're absolutely correct in your conclusion, I do not necessarily see the epiphany in it.

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

lol. damn. i wonder how well that statement would go when i am wearing my "what wouldn't jesus do " shirt. I can't wait to wear it to my next frat party, haha

iJon

17. The Muffin Man thread starter macrumors regular

LethalWolfe, I can answer your question to a certain extent. I don't think Hitler smoked pot, but he actually was on drugs. He was addicted to speed for quite a long time. themadchemist, you use mighty big words, but I think I got what you said. Lol you sound like I do when I make fun of people.

18. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

or perhaps someone, inspired by a crackpot with AIDS she saw as a kid, decided to become a scientist and will discover the vaccine

a lot of great art, literature and music has been produced under the effect of drugs or other sensation-altering situations (not to mention much of the world production of mystic/religious material, although that could be evaluated either way).

On the other hand a more massive use of contraceptives could have prevented the appearance of a fairly large number of morons

anything is possible

19. brap macrumors 68000

I'm the proud wearer of a "What would Kompressor do?" shirt. Confuses the hell out of (pun not intended) the religious types I come across.

Back on topic... what if a butterfly flapped it's wings in the Amazon? Woah.

20. frescies macrumors regular

aye.... Couldn't agree with Lethal more on this one. Either way you look at it, it becomes a wicked slippery slope. You can run it down one side of the slope and say that drugs are evil and humankind is wasting it's potential on drugs, for all of the energy and mental focus placed on their use/production could have been used for great things. Or you run it down the other slope and say that since drugs cause a dehabilitating mental stagnation that could have prevented so many maniacally destructive people from inflicting civil setbacks on humanity, and thus for the sake of humanity we should focus all of our effort on getting everyone high; in order to prevent political purturbations that allow for such destruction.

On a similar subject, the original poster seems to have this tone that I can't put my finger on. It's a problemt I have with his statment, as if he is staging something for an argument and only my subconcious picks it up. I can't shake the feeling that his statement blames stagnancy amongst humans for us not having a cure for HIV. The lack of an HIV vaccination is not anyone's fault. The characteristics of the virus are so complex, robust, and dynamic, that finding an overall cure is likely to be impossible. So many strains have developed in a relatively short time. It's construction is flawless, from a viral standpoint, with the ability to exploit our very nature as extremely sexual mammals, while having a prolonged incubation period. Vaccinations, as we design them, are usually designed as a "rocket booster" for an existing immune system. However, HIV is unlike other viruses that attack various cells bound within our epithelium, intestinal villi, or other fleshy areas. It appears that gene therapy is more of a necessity as the very frontline of our immune system is not only somewhat oblivious to HIV, but is the very target of the virus.

It's of course bound to happen as any sexual population increases to gargantuan numbers.

Back to the main topic... I only hope that someone as drugged up as the implied example, in the original post, continues using those drugs until they are utterly sexually impotent and thus incapable of illegitemate reproduction or the spread of STD's... Or mb they should trap themselves in a coma..... (I should stop)

-David

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Haha--you know, it's just one of those moods. ;)

22. Dros macrumors 6502

Drugs? Car accidents? These are trifles. I would guess that given the current economic situation in the world today, that out of the 6 billion or so people out there, only 100-500 million have been in a situation where their potential could have been realized and allowed them to pursue the kind of education and training to come up with a vaccine. Think of the power of the world's population if everyone had enough to eat and a place to live and the oppportunity for an education.

23. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Muffin Man, I'm sorry but your idea was quite possibly the most pointless conjecture that I've ever spent time pondering in my entire life.

No hard feelings :p

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm hitler was an anti-alcolholic and a vegetarian so i don't think he was taking other drugs either (he was against these things)
    but i might be wrong

25. The Muffin Man thread starter macrumors regular

i watched a show on the disovery health channel called hitler's medical secrets. it said he received injections of a speed-like drug everyday from a crazy doctor.