Drugs

Discussion in 'Community' started by diorio, Oct 11, 2002.

1. diorio macrumors 6502a

Today my crosscountry team had its Metro crosscountry race. On the way to the meet I found out some bad news. One of our best runners (#2) had overdosed on speed and liquor earlier in the day. He is now in the hospital. Obviously he is off the team, and probably expelled from school. We probably would have qualified for state with him, but its going to be tough without him.

I feel angry, sad, and frustrated by this. He is a good friend, and I didn't think he was doing any drugs. He has know put his life in danger, and less importantly, our season on the line. Has anyone else had friends with drug problems? Please, give me your experiences with friends and loved ones having drug problems.

2. big macrumors 65816

big

drugs are bad, even pot. I have seen it used as a "gateway" drug, even though people say it isn't.

I assume most of these boards are "fairly" young posters, so I will say this. Those of us whom are older and either indulged or watched our friends do them, see a HUGE change in a persons life. even cigarettes can change a person's persona.

Don't start me on driving under the influence of anything. My wife's family was devastated when her & her siblings were in a car wreck due to a drunk driver.

Call mom and dad if you get too ripped. so what if you get grounded, ruining other people's lives is not fair.

3. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that my friend had done pot previously, like one year ago, but I thought he quit. He threw up during third period and went to the hospital. They found the speed in his backpack. Drunk driving is probably the worst thing you could do. I don't understand why people can't drink responsibly, do they like throwing up and feeling like s*** the next day?

4. big macrumors 65816

big

when a person gets older, normally they learn to enjoy drinking, responsibly.

5. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, most teens don't drink responsibly, they drink to get drunk. I guess it takes them time to realize that it isn't good for them.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Never been drunk... Never done drugs... Im an angle.... Im 15 though.... I get my highs from challenging myself....

:rolleyes:
    :D

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Never have done drugs, never will. I kind of wish I did though, because I feel like about 2/3 of Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper is going right over my head. Tomorrow Never Knows is ****ing mind-bending enough when you're on the straight and narrow - I can't even imagine how incredibly mind-warping it would be on acid.

8. big macrumors 65816

big

The beatles are just fine sober, and so is the Pink floyd & Wizard of Oz thing (which is so for real!!!)

I never drank until I was 19 or 20. My dad died (when I was a baby) after popping some pills and taking a few shots of alchohol.

I have seen so many people in and out of rehab, I'm just glad I lived through my "bad ass" faze. and now admire those friends of mine whom substained (they still do, and are more successful, all of them) Maybe there's some corrillation there, I sure can not spell either

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

my dad used to let me have beer when it was 13 or 14. I drank it for a while, and then it made me sleepy so I stopped drinking it. after that there's been too much controversy to have a reason to start drinking it again spontaneously without motivation. and I like orange juice a lot better anyways :D

10. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Acute, Right or Obtuse? ;)

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

diorio:

I feel for you. Maybe it will just wake everyone up at skool and they'll take a little more time to evaluate the dangers.

I've seen a lot of people killed by others taking drugs or drinking and driving. I feel very responsible for my actions in public...maybe it's just the Japanese side of me.

I first got drunk when I was 3. My adoptive dad left his wine too near to me on the bar at home. I got it and it was good. :D My parents used to have parties and my mum's family would let me take sips of different drinks just to try them. Because of all this, I never thought much about getting drunk. It wasn't interesting enough.

In 5th grade, I did a science project on drugs and had a whole poster with the various kinds and their effects and whatnot. This probably wouldn't seem too precarious today, but it was back in the late 1960s when the whole "free drugs, free sex" movement was making its way around the USA. I woke a few people up that night. :)

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that sounds really conceited man. distancing yourself from drugs is one thing, but "i get my highs off challenging myself" hurrumbug! humility is a vitrue

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Conceited? How? If that's how he gets his "highs" then sobeit. He's saying he doesn't need drugs, and I applaud him for that.

I've also never touched drugs. And I broke off my engagement to a girl who did drugs behind by back, and then lied to me about it for two years. I've said it before and I'll say it again (even though it is a bit off topic): a relationship is worthless without trust (among other things). It wasn't so much that she was doing drugs that angered me (although I did object to it when we started going out); it was the fact that she lied to me about it. That was the first time I had trusted someone completely... and probably the last.

14. big macrumors 65816

big

>Shadowfax

bravo! *standing ovations* *clap clap clap*

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

LOL, I made sure that I didn't put angle, but angel, and somehow I managed to put angle in there. Hmmm, I would definately be and acute triangle though. What I mean when I say 'I get my highs by challenging myself' is that I can go through life without drugs. So far I can. I know some people who do drugs, but I try not to get 'too close' to them.

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

"get my highs from challenging myself" says a helluva lot more than "i don't rely on drugs." i've never done drugs in my life either. saying you get your highs from doing things that are difficult for you just sounds (a) impossible and (b) like i said, like you are some kind of renaissance man who is always studying for his AP biology, AP european, AP french, AP spanish, (etc) tests or out learning yoga or diving or.. dare i say it? high school football. and on a further note to b, it sounds like you are proud of that. i know tons of incredibly talented people, like this giril i know who's in her senior year who's already APed out of her freshman year of college and who manages to be president of the student council, on varsity tennis, and participant in her church's activities. she NEVER EVER comes remotely close to boasting about how smart she is, and is extraordinarily gracious whenever she asks for help, and she takes considerable pains to notice people like me, who tend to get overlooked, always greeting me with, "hey nicholas! what's up? how was your weekend? wow, that's awesome!"

all that to say, "i get my highs from challenging myself" is much more loaded than you are implying.

and saying that you are acute just before you discount any suggestions that you are conceited is absolutely hilarious.

don't be obtuse LOL;)

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

This is becoming a "Let's all have a dig a scem0" thread, give him a break. You guys are picking apart what he says way too much. Just for the record, I'm 16 never been drunk, never tried drugs and don't intend to do either.

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i would add that "piccking apart" is exactly the vehicle by which you construct an argument, but granted, W-_-W, this is getting a bit nasty. sorry scem0, i admit i am reading a lot of your other posts into this one. i don't have a problem with you personally. i'm sure you're quite lovable in reality; i was just a bit upset by that comment... this isn't sounding a whole lot like an apology, but... yeah.

i pimped out on the SAT II's this morning, god i love challenging myself ;)

19. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Notice "too much" in my above post, to be honest, I had picking out, but I thought somebody would make a comment like this so I changed it.

But seriously guys, cut him some slack...

20. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel for you. Maybe it will just wake everyone up at skool and they'll take a little more time to evaluate the dangers. posted by bousozoku.

Thanks, hopefully the kids at my school will realize how much potential can be ruined by drugs.

Never been drunk... Never done drugs... Im an angle.... Im 15 though.... I get my highs from challenging myself.... posted by Scem0.

I haven't done drugs either and can't see why people use them. I get a high from running, though it's a natural high with the endorphines and all. Keep off the drugs and keep challenging yourself.:)

ND

21. big macrumors 65816

big

yeah, but you live on a beach... its different here in the south states, where the humidity knocks you flat.

I love running, and unfortunatly have been to preoccupied with school & work.

I need to get over it and back into it. I'm quickly moving into a stage where a habit like that will greatly affect the rest of my life

especially if it'll help me knock off my smoking habit. It seems when I run, I completely quite, but when I have too much school & work, I smoke more.

I wish I had never started. I have an appoitment with my doc this coming thurs & will ask for some help from him on the matter

22. diorio thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, I don't live on a beach, but I still don't have to deal with humidity where I live. Good luck on the smoking habit, I've heard it can be the hardest one to kick. Keep up the running, and don't work too hard.:)

23. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

As a former heroin addict, i know what it feels like when you see anyone you know, doing drugs. i saw my best freind overdose, and I held his hand when he died at the hospital later that night. Not somthing i recommend for people. Now my younger brother is acting worse than i ever did homeboy my brother actually accepted a dare and whipped out his member to a female in his class. So it kind of scares me to think that he would do somthing like that, so the moral of this story is DONT DO DRUGS

24. RogueLdr macrumors regular

When alchohol was made illegal in the US during the Prohibition, the incidences of alchohol poisoning increased dramatically. The very fact that a substance is illegal will move people to overindulge. The reasoning behind this is that if having an illegal substance in your possession will result in legal action, then it is good to not have it in your possession for long. The easiest way to make sure that you do not have an illegal substance in your possession for long is to consume it rapidly. Assuming that this reasoning is valid, then it would seem to follow that chronic drug use (alchohol or otherwise) results mainly from laws prohibiting the possession of said drug.

25. RogueLdr macrumors regular

When alchohol was made illegal in the US during the Prohibition, the incidences of alchohol poisoning increased dramatically. The very fact that a substance is illegal will move people to overindulge. The reasoning behind this is that if having an illegal substance in your possession will result in legal action, then it is good to not have it in your possession for long. The easiest way to make sure that you do not have an illegal substance in your possession for long is to consume it rapidly. Assuming that this reasoning is valid, then it would seem to follow that chronic drug use (alchohol or otherwise) results mainly from laws prohibiting the possession of said drug.

Hypothetically, if the current crop of illicit drugs were made legal, there would be less of an incidence of overdose, since users would be able to save any drugs they didn't want to do right then for another time without having to worry about being "caught" with them.

RL