Drum Machines and GB

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Patmian212, Mar 19, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey guys,

I am using garageband to create my own hip hop tracks. . . I am sick of using their pre-recorded loops. I have the following question, is there any drum machine (MPC style) out there that works with garageband so I can create my own beats? I was thinking something like this http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INT...yID=wLvVqHzld4AAAAEV9BlWf70R&JumpTo=OfferList
    (sorry its in spanish but you get the idea). This also says it has MIDI IN/OUT does that mean I can plug a mic into it. Any opinions are highly appreciated.

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Very interesting link! Thanks. However I am still very much a newbie in the digital audio world, what are you trying to say? The mic cant plug into it?

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

midi is not audio. so, no, you can't plug a mic into it.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ok thanks for that clarification. One more question. How would I go about plugging in that KORG beat machine or maybe a keyboard and a mic into a macbook or ibook, CHEAPLY. What would I need to buy? Once again sorry for the ignorance.

6. macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

MIDI could be described as similar to written music, except read out in real time for devices that make sound. Sound itself is not transmitted. The midi ins/outs are useful for syncing and controlling devices. For example you may have an electric drum kit that you trigger a drum machine or samples with, it may also keep electronic instruments effects in time etc. Most mics use XLR which is a circular 3 pin connector..