Drum programming on garage band?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nycheese, Feb 20, 2005.

1. nycheese macrumors newbie

I'm looking for tips on doing real sounding (close anyway) rock drum programming in Garage Band. I find the on-board sounds and loops are very limiting, so I've been importing sampled individual drum hits. I have my samples stored as little quick time files, and it seems to work pretty smoothly. Individual drum hits (snare/kick/crash) sound fine when they have a little space around them.
    Here's the problem: How can I get hits in rapid succession to not sound robotic? Hi-hat is a prime example, when I try to tap on a closed hat sound, it sounds like a skipping CD. Any suggestions?

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, not sure if this can help but have you left the hats open a touch more just to hear the diff. I understand what you are saying but I wonder if the tones are getting cut out causing a short wave (hat) sound. :rolleyes:
    This happened when a buddy gave me a demo tape and we put it in and some tones sounded off with the drums. As a drummer I really never setup any systems on my own set someone else always did it for me.
    They also used Proband. Now back to your setup, how do you have it setup? Also have you moved the mic around to see if you get a diff. sound?
    If you could give more info it could help ;)

3. nycheese thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarification

Hi, thanks for the reply. Just so you know, I'm not actually recording my own sounds. I'm importing them off a CD of pre-recorded drum hits and sample beats. It seems that both a slightly open hat, and a very tight closed hat produce the same robotic kind of sound. I suppose maybe I could try to finesse the volume a little bit to humanize them a little, but it just seems like there's a better way to do this. Maybe the answer is a different program.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Okay makes sence now. If you live close to an Apple store see if they have any other tracks from the exp. pack for Garage Band on one of the G5's to be able to hear if there is a diff. ;)

5. powermac99 macrumors member

powermac99