Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Hello!

I'm quite into recording my own songs using the iMac here, and I've gotten fairly good at it. I recently bought Logic Express to take me to the next level and the videos from macprovideo.com have really helped me learn to use it quite quickly.

Luckily, I play a few instruments myself but the drums in my songs are really letting them down at the moment. The Apple Loops are okay, but I can never really get the sound or beat I want and the fills never quite fit.

I've tried 'playing the drums' using my midi keyboard, but it's not quite working out, especially during the fills. Is there any software out there I can buy to programme in a sequence or something? Anything to help with the drums really.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
people work differently, so what works for me may not work for you. that said, i use Redrum in Reason to program loops. i'm rubbish at doing it any other way.

grum

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
somthing like ez drummer, BFD, or especially Groove Agent might be useful to you I think

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I recently bought Logic Express to take me to the next level and the videos from macprovideo.com have really helped me learn to use it quite quickly.
Hi Garry,

I am interested in your opinions on these training videos. I am looking for something to help me understand Logic Express myself, and I can't tell how much of their video course is applicable to Logic Express (as opposed to Logic Pro).

Thanks in advance for your response!

- Martin

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Hi Garry,

I am interested in your opinions on these training videos. I am looking for something to help me understand Logic Express myself, and I can't tell how much of their video course is applicable to Logic Express (as opposed to Logic Pro).

Thanks in advance for your response!

- Martin

I can't speak highly enough of them. I was skeptical myself, but I had (have?) a coupon code to get 33% off, so I figured what the heck...

I bought Logic 101 which is about 5 hours long, and it covers a lot of ground. If you're new to Logic you'll finish the 5 hours having a good overview of most of Logic's features and being able to guess what the rest do and how powerful Logic is.

I have Logic express myself so was worried some things would be Pro only. In fact, I think the only things covered in the video marked as Pro only were the Apple Loops Utility (making your own Apple loops) and HyperDraw & Automation curves. Having said that, I actually *do* have the Apple Loops Utility and 7.2.3 brings HyperDraw & Automation curves to Express! If you don't know what they are you'll find out - and be grateful for the fact you have them. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.