Drunk driver...

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, Sep 24, 2004.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    So, I am driving home tonight. As you can see for the post time, it is not all that late, but I am (was) tired.

On the way home, I pass someone because they were going 10+ under the speed limit. People for some reason can't got 55 on this road... but that is beside the point. When i catch up to the person in front of them, I find out why they were going slow.

The person is obviously drunk. Within 30 seconds of me being behind him (or her...) they cross the median and almost hit an oncoming car. I for some reason shrug this off and stay back a ways. After they screech to a hault at a red light, then peel out when it turns green, I get a little mad.

I take out my cell phone, then have second thoughts about calling the cops on this person. I don't like to be a rat. But, once again, the driver solves this moral dilema for me by almost driving off the shoulder.

So, I call the cops. When the call is connecting, they decide to turn left, so I don't get a license plate number. First mistake. Then, when the cops ask where he is, I just tell them the intersection, not that he was turning south. Plus, I only guessed on his make/model, as the rust made it hard to distinguish.

Now I am awake and mad because some drunk f*** made me mad because he needed to drive, and that I completely failed on giving the cops enough information to catch him. I'll have to do some looking in the paper and see if I was lucky.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Oh, man, sorry. You did the right thing, though, calling the cops. I have done that several times and it has worked out fine. Don't hesitate next time, just call. It's not being a tattle tail...it's being a good citizen. If you don't call, it could mean someone's life, even yours. Sorry that you didn't get it though...The effort is worth it, though.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Seriously, you should have followed him to get a plate number. You and your conscience are lucky nobody was hurt or killed. It sounds like someone could have easily been hurt by his driving that night. I'm talking about 1/2 or 1/3 chances. Calling the cops was good, but providing some decent info to get his ass landed in jail would have been better. It may prevent a repeated incident as well if he was behind bars.

4. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

That is exactly why I am mad.

But, if you really want to break it down; what if during my following of him, he caused a large accident and I was hurt or worse? What if he noticed me following him and got mad and tried to do something stupid.

Not saying either would happen, or that either popped through my head at that time, but when a drunk quickly decides to take a left, one does not usually swerve in behind him.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Yeah, if you give the cops an approximate location and a decent description they will find the driver hopefully fast enough. In illinois a few of the counties will send you $100 from MAAD, I mean its not something iti get all excited about BUT money or not drunk driving like that is so dangerous you have to do something.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i guess that kind of affected you having a happy birthday...btw did apple ever use a 68010 in a computer?

7. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

:)

didn't realize i just made it to 68010...

and no- not according to this website:

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree, you did the right thing by calling the police. As always hindsight is always 20/20. Don't be too hard on yourself, you did your best. Now that you have had time to think this situation through, then next time you will be prepared. Following at a distance should be safe.

Happy 24th B-Day. I hope that you will still have a great day with family and friends. Any special plans for the weekend?

[​IMG]

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

thanks wd and homer.

my plans are simple. going to go see a friend, do a little drinking. nothing special, as i don't feel 24 is something to be all to excited about. maybe when i turn 25 i will rent a car. then when i turn 60 i will got to a movie and get a senior citizen discount. other than those two days, i see it as just another day, and quite possibly a day off work if it is during the week.

10. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

A $100?? Hmm. that would buy me, like, 3 cases of guinness. :)

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lol and as of this time you're the only 68010. :p:D
    btw, i was looking through the members list and noticed a moderator named AmbitiousLemon, but ive never seen any of his posts. does he mod the pol forum?

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

He is a general moderator, but I don't think he posts much anymore.