Dry Quick Sand

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Xtremehkr, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

[​IMG]

Newly developed dry quicksand

Better than landmines?

2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

"Traditional deathtrap quicksand" also doesn't exist, according to the Mythbusters. :D

3. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Odd that they should refer to it in the article.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The thing with normal quicksand is, you can swim in it. So it's not much of a death trap (unless you're carrying 50 lbs. of gear like the average soldier)

5. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I thought I was the only one who watched that. ;)

what I'm amazed with is the little tiny numbers on the top of the photos, 700ms (milliseconds) for the damn thing to disappear, and what's with the little jet of sand blown straight up?

6. aus_dave macrumors regular

Ping pong balls everywhere should be very worried :rolleyes:.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wonder if they can puff a big enough hole full of sand to swallow a vehicle.

Imagine a pond sized hole making a Humvee vanish without a trace. :eek:

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I don't think it would work quite as well....Humvees aren't exactly shaped like a smooth sphere if you get my drift. I imagine the process would be significantly slower.

Edit: Also, don't forget that a ping pong ball can't compact the sand beneath is like a large brick shapes vehicle. Most of the sand under a sphere gets pushed to the side easily. Under a large vehicle, however, I imagine that a lot of the sand would compress beneath it, limiting the effect.

9. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You don't have to sink a Humvee, just stop it (and the rest of the convoy) long enough to force people to get out and take time to remove it.

Since you also have these locations on GPS and can most likely signal the trap is sprung -- it's much easier to target them with GPS guided bombs/missles.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I can remember enjoying the use of quick sand in Tarzan and some other Jungle Jim Movies when I was a boy. They came on as Saturday afternoon movie features. I think they actually did use the dry quick sand at least once. A great way to catch the bad guys.

12. the_mole1314 macrumors 6502a

I just downloaded that one off bit-torrent!

13. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Never said you needed to sink it to do anything....I'm just talking about the sheer physics of sinking one. Even if you wanted to bog one down, there are more efficient ways

14. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Yeah, well I don't believe Rodents of Unusual Size exist eithe*CHULNGK*

15. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Sun Baked:

Deep sand will compact under its own wieght, so the fluffy stuff would only exist on top.

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    creating these traps would be time consuming tho, not very practical if your in a war

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Quicksand (normal kind) is so dense, that you would sink up to your chest and then stop. You would float. Now, just roll onto your back and slowly move out.

That's the abbreviated version from "Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook"

A good read... :D

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That reminded me of rip tides that occur with approaching Hurricanes here in New England. It is a current below the surface that will pull a swimmer out to sea. Even an expert swimmer can't fight against the rip tide. The only safety net is to swim at parallel to the shore till you escape the rip tide. A rip tide tends to be a narrow band. Then the swimmer can easily return to shore