Dry skin, dry mouth and cough at 30,000 ft.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sdashiki, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

This is an offshoot of the UK terrorist bomb airplane thing thread.

So currently you are not allowed to carry-on the following kinds of items:

gels
    liquids
    pastes
    prescription stuff that isnt labeled for the person carrying it

Now some might say, ok ill just check those items with my luggage.

Sure, good, fine, awesome. That does work.

But what about people who fly all the time, and take overnight bags the size of a briefcase? They now have to check their luggage because they bring their own toothpaste.

Or what about everybody who flys and brings their own bottle of water(s) on board? I personally bring a Gatorade because I like it with my munchies I also bring with me on trips.

Or the lady who has dry skin and has a bottle of lotion with her 24/7?

Or the 6yr old with the cough who cant have his liquid cough medicine because its in the cargo hold.

You can see how this can turn out kind of ridiculous. Flying is a mode of travel, and as a paying customer you do have some sort of expectation to have "comforts", which typically include liquids of many many kinds. Of course people also expect to travel safely as well. But does safety have to come at the cost of even LONGER lines (people who want to argue with TSA agents that they must have their water or whatever and blah blah, you know itll happen all the time) and the possible elimination of airline travel for some people?

Imagine living 1.5hrs away from Jacksonville, Fl airport. The cost of a round trip ticket $150-200 dollars, sometimes and with gas going up who the hell knows, that gets you from Jville to Miami in 2hrs or so from sitting in the plane to getting off the plane. Include driving to the airport, parking, checking in, waiting, boarding, waiting, flying, landing, waiting, deboarding, finding luggage carousel for your flight, waiting, waiting, waiting, damn is mine the last bag I only packed my toothpaste, hair gel and cough syrup, finding friend or cab to where you are staying. Total time, about the same time it would take to drive there, and the costs would probably even out as well if not make air travel way more expensive. Had the person not had to check their luggage, or wait in longer lines, their travel time could have been cut by up to 2 hrs, which to some time fiends is probably alot.

Time for the conspiracy theory: make airline travel so tedious and complicated that it no longer is worth the time and money, while at the same time drive up gasoline prices so that people can not travel by car either. now citizens are forced to stay at home and well, you can take it from there...

Thoughts anyone?

2. Lau Guest

Agreed, and I just posted a similar sentiment in the other thread. Link.

An opinion on Boing Boing about it.

As I said in the other thread, DVT is a far bigger risk from dehydration than a day-to-day terrorist threat. And also, where does it stop? Do you stop people bringing drinks and bags onto trains or the metro?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

governments in a gobal society just don't know how to react to anything with sense.

and where does it stop? things are getting a bit out of hand already.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Less air travel is better for the environment.

Maybe this is a way to keep to Kyoto agreements?

I'm only half-joking btw.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Are you just ranting (which is certainly your right), or did you have a point? Assuming for the moment that this isn't a hoax, and that continuing to allow people to bring unknown liquids on to airplanes is a risk -- what is your proposed solution?

6. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I have absolutely no solution other than sheer determination to want to drink a gatorade on a plane while soothing my dry cracking skin and my cough and hair with various liquids, on a plane.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

With such long lineups, the terrorists may miss their flight! They'd be better off going after trains or something. It's likely cheaper as well. I mean, yes, blowing up a plane is more flashy and newsworthy, but if they put their egos aside for a second, they'll realize that maybe terrorizing a train travelling from Boston to NYC is faster and cheaper now that they messed up the airline industry.

And do they allow flyers to check in more bags now that they're not allowed carrying a bag on the plane?

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, that's the American Dream in a nutshell, isn't it? :D

I don't want you to think that I'm A-OK with this. This affects me too (indirectly). My wife is a cancer survivor and needs to bring extra water, mouth gel and stuff like that with her when she flies. Assuming that this ban is still in place the next time we need to fly (probably in November) we're going to need to come up with a workaround.

9. Lau Guest

I don't think anyone has a problem with this today, as there is (allegedly) a known threat. But where do we go after this? If there is a way to build a bomb using a bottle of liquid that looks like a soft drink, how long do you ban them from flights? Do you ban soft drinks from trains? Government buildings? All public places?

10. Queso macrumors G4

We should demand Coca-Cola gets banned. That ought to make the Government stop and think :)

11. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Answer...

I understand the need for security and safety at a time the world is not as nice a place as it could be, so

All airlines provide all the things they won't allow a passenger to bring on - and at no extra cost

Or have a fully stocked supermarket after the security gate - at supermarket prices - so you can buy your lotions, gatoraid and chocolate

With some flights having limited ammenities available to non-first/business class passengers - well, have them for everyone

Sure, flying is not a right, but in this day and age it has become a rather regular means of transportation.

And what about damage to items that you are being forced to put in the hold? Your laptop, video camera, iPod and other items previosly carried on?

What if your luggage is lost (or stolen as there will be a lot of neat stuff in checked luggage now)?

For business trips I guess you could courier your stuff and just pick it up at your hotel when you check-in! Now that would be travelling light!

Interesting point!

12. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

You just need to put a barrier between you and the snakes!

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's it! I have had it with these mother f**king snakes on this mother f**king plane!

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

In the press conference this morning, DHS Secretary Chertoff was asked if it would be possible to develop technology to detect liquids that could be used as explosives. I don't remember exactly how he answered the question, but I think he concurred that that's something they'd like to be able to do, so as to be able to allow you to bring "safe" liquids on a plane again at some point in the future.

I don't get the impression that this is intended to be a permanent ban, despite BoingBoing's hysterical overreaction. For crying out loud, the arrests only took place just last night, less than 24 hours ago. :rolleyes:

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I know most the airlines have stopped providing meals on most flights, but have they also stopped serving beverages?

17. Lau Guest

Obviously being able to detect explosive liquids would be a good thing.

I don't think it's a hysterical overreaction. I've already said it's justified on a day in which they've had a specific threat. I think it's just a warning over how far we go with this, and how long we keep it up. There's been some strange rules since 9/11 – not allowing knitting needles or safety razors, yet still allowing duty free glass bottles on board. I'd rather a terrorist had a safety razor than a broken bottle.

I think it's just worth bearing in mind what the threat actually is, and where the point is between preventing attacks and infringing massively on people's day to day life, which is exactly what the terrorists want.

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

time to invest in video conferencing.....................

this is a desaster. because travelling sucks anyway. but now it's not only more uncomfortable, it also means no work can be done while flying because you can't bring a notebook. you have to leave expensive sensitive electronics in your suitcase and check them. guess how many will be stolen........

i think the airlines will take another hit. because if business travel goes down by only 5% that's enough to drive them into chapter 11.

i hope they ease up on this new limitations soon. just a few month ago they allowed scissors and nailclippers on board again.

well, i need at least another 2 liters of water for a transatlantic flight. otherwise i arrive with a dry mouth and a hangover...

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I just flew and was provided with a very small cup of soda, we're talking maybe 3 - 4 oz,

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

All of the domestic flights that I've been on in the last five years have had beverage service. I think this will most affect people who need access to other kinds of liquids that your friendly flight attendant isn't going to be able to provide (e.g. gatorade, liquid medications, toothpase, etc.).

21. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

You should at least be able to get a coke onboard a plane from the stewardess.

If you have a problem with the size, they'll go ahead and give you a can, if you ask for one (the can is your standard 12/16 oz can that you buy in packs of 12 and place in your fridge).

It wouldn't surprise me if planes started doing background checks on flights. May not be such a bad idea.

22. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Why can't you bring a notebook?

23. Lau Guest

They're currently not allowing any books, newspapers or anything like that on. I'd be surprised if that lasts though, I think it's just to speed up security.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ah, this is for flights leaving from the UK. OK. I'd only been reading up on the stuff affecting U.S. flights, which as far as I can tell is just the ban on liquids. So as long as my notebook computer isn't liquid-cooled, I can still take it on the place with me. ;)

25. Lau Guest

:p

Over here they're not letting people take on anything except a wallet, passport, spectacles (minus the case), and any medication or sanitary products they need for the flight, all in a clear plastic bag. Everything else has to get checked in. If you have a baby with you, you can take a bottle of milk, but you have to taste it in front of security to prove it's not explosive.

It'll be interesting to see how many of those restrictions stay.