Drying out a Powerbook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jknight8907, Dec 8, 2004.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

Jun 14, 2004
    Hudson Valley NY
    Guess what my sister just did? Yep, glass of tea, right down on her 15" PowerBook. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Uh huh. That was an :eek: alright. So I took it, turned it upside down while turning it off, and let as much of the tea run out as possible, the wiped off the case with a towel. Now it's dry as far as I can see from the outside. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure it's survival?

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Don't power it up for a week. I would look into whether you can take off the keyboard, out the memory, etc and make sure it has a chance to totally dry. Other than that, wait wait wait to be sure you don't fry it any more than it might already be. especially since it has been turned over to let it drain, who knows where the liquid has gone.
  3. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    Good advice! I friend of mine bought a Rev A 17" PB, and did the exact same thing as you did (well it was coffee..), he didn't power it on for five days and since then it has been working for about 1.5 years without any problems.

I hope you are as lucky as he was.
  4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Man, that sucks. I would agree and say wait atleast a week. You don't want to take any chances. Mabey keep a fan blowing on the keyboard area to help dry it out. Don't put the fan too close, otherwise it might move the liquid around, keep the fan at a distance, just so you feel the air hitting it. That should speed up the drying process a little.
  5. goodknight411 macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    MiddlaNowhere, Arkansas
    I'm the sister

Hi, It's my pb that's being discussed. Now the spacebar and the click bar under the trackpad are very stiff. They don't want to click. And the spacebar makes a crackling noise.

Any suggestions? I'm gonna call AppleCare afterwhile.
  6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  7. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    my bf dropped a 18 oz mug of green tea of his 17" powerbook.

he took the powerbook apart immediately, and dried the stuff out. in 2 hours, it was dry enough to put it back together, and he got online ...

there were whiter areas on hte screen, but those dried out too, in a few days.
  8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Eep, sorry about that. I've dumped everything from beer to coffee on various computer components, most of which have recovered since. OK, so I'm a bit of a klutz... :)

Anyhow, in addition to all the good advice posted above (especially about taking out the battery), I've also had success with a couple other things in these situations:

* If you need your system back sooner, after opening it and exposing its "guts" to the open air, a hair-dryer on *low* power can help to dry things a little.

* Also, a little light rubbing alcohol on a soft cotton pad or t-shirt scrap used to wipe off the exposed parts can keep them from getting sticky. It's labor-intensive to do it right, but it also keeps goo or residue from heating up on the mobo or other system parts and becoming a problem down the line. A funny story I experienced related to this: A couple years ago I dumped a half bottle of beer on my Extended Keyboard. I unplugged it, set it upside down, and patiently waited for it to dry. After a few days, the keys were a bit sticky, but it worked again. In the Bay Area, we have a huge problem with ants (think like roaches and NYC) and a couple weeks later I noticed a *lot* of them on my desk. After cleaning the desk and thinking it solved the problem, I was surprised to find them still hanging around. One evening, I finally noticed an ant trail that led *directly into my keyboard* - apparently they were feeding on the beer residue. So, I took the whole thing apart and rubbed it down with alcohol and voila, no ants!

All that being said, I always assumed (not being a PB or iB owner) that Apple's laptops had a rubber liner underneath the keyboard and mousepad for exactly these reasons. Is this not the case?

Good luck!
  9. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    if you wanna go all out, put the PB in an enclosed space with one of these...
  10. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    Open it up. and dry it out. if you really want to make sure, send it in to apple shop but then that requires you having to pay.
  11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

AppleCare is not going to cover much due to the spilt liquid. You may have to pay to have the KB fixed since Apple will see the liquid and make you pay.
    Keep the computer off and if you can find a local friendly technician who is willing to take it apart have them unassemble it to see where the tea ended up so they can clean it out. Liquid with sugar or salt can cause havoc on electronics.