DS buttons. are they too small?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sam10685, Jul 29, 2006.

1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

as some of you know, i am planning on getting a DS Lite as soon as my copy of NSMB that i ordered off ebay comes in the mail. anyway, i was testing one out at Gamecrazy yesterday and i was wondering about the buttons. do any of you think that the buttons are too small? they feel a bit small to me. i just don't know if it's ok or if it's causes issues.

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't know, are they?

That question is pretty relative. If you're 500lbs and have bananas for fingers then yes, those buttons might be too small.

It's all up to you. If you think it's going to be a problem, then don't bother.

Either way, if your hesitant about the size, you should test it out for a few days just in case. I had the same initial reaction to them but haven't had any problems.

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I find the start/select buttons too small on the DS Lite. They were the right size on the DS. Nintendo probably changed them for design/look reasons...

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I don't like the small buttons so much where you need to pause or use the select during high action. However the new buttons have saved me from seeing this dude too much:

[​IMG]

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

To me the DS Lite feels perfect. I till aggree the start and select are small, but your can just quickly run your fingers across them, even if they are small.

The D-pad and the other button things are perfect for me. I have 10 ring size, if that even gives your a perspective...

6. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Yes, the buttons are too small, and the start / select buttons are laughable in their stupid vertical configuration and size. They're very difficult to reach comfortably. I really prefer the original DS layout.

But, hey! Games look good for once! Hooray!

The good news is - Nintendo will release the 'reasonably-sized buttons' edition a year from now.

7. nutman macrumors regular

mario kart was hard to play on the lite. but you get used to it after a bit.

8. anchov13 macrumors newbie

Haha Andy that was great, made me laugh a lil'. :cool:

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

What I dont like about the DS is how it is a such a Square. There is no effort to make it kind of curvy on the bottom or where ever to fit the hands best.

Like Left and Right paddels on DS and PSP both feel very awkward to me...

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, it think there fine, and have "big" hands

11. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

12. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

The DS Lite buttons are awesome. Way bigger than the DS buttons.

13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

what is so unreasonable about the size of the buttons now? I have normal sized hands and I find them to be the perfect size. :cool:

14. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

My cousin got a DS lite recently and I used it to play New Super Mario Bros. for about an hour
    Everything seemed perfect. The buttons, the stylus. It was all very well put together (not to mention not far from iPod cool.) The only problem is... NOW I WANT ONE!

15. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

really? i find it fine. which way are you using it? theres like 4 ways. lol

16. vincentvivi macrumors newbie

vincentvivi

I wouldn't say that the DS's buttons were too small, but I've certainly noticed that they aren't satisfying enough to press. Their sharp edges and stumpy height makes me try to press them too far into the DS every time. I'm a big fan of the buttons on the Gamecube, and a departure to sharp and short buttons is disappointing to me. I'm of the opinion that the higher and shinier the button, the more orgasmic it is to press.

17. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I think the DS Lite's buttons are the perfect size. The Start and Select buttons are also good, and in a better place than the original DS because they are harder to press by accident. The A, B, X, and Y buttons are definetly big enough and well spaced, so that you can press 2 at once if you need to, but you will not do by accident. One thing that i find a bit strange is that the Game Boy Micro has bigger buttons.

18. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

dude. bad word-picture. thank you for the help though!

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They're fine to me. Though I have been playing my DS fat recently. I really miss the big DS's speakers and the buttons. I prefer the SP-styled buttons. Shoulder buttons need to be longer on the Lite too. Maybe thats me.

Either way I'm not getting rid of my big DS for a while yet :)