Ds/gba Compatibility Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by pcortez, Aug 23, 2006.

1. pcortez macrumors member

i just bought a copy of TLOZ:the minish cap. Haven't opened it yet, but on the back it says ONLY compatible for GBA, while my other GBA games (super mario advance4: super mario bros. 3 and Yoshi's island: super mario advnace 3) both have GBA AND DS compatibility on the back of the box.

would this just be an older instance of zelda before ds came out, or is this game really not compatible with the ds?

does anyone currently play zelda: the minish cap on their ds, and does the back of their box say ONLY for GBA?

THANKS A LOT, APPRECIATE IT!

-Peter

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm thinking you will be fine....All GBA games are suppose to work with the DS....I could be wrong though.

Bless

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I believe that all GBA games play on the DS. Every GBA game i have plays.

However anything prior to GBA do not work on the DS, so my pokemon red doesn't work but breath of fire II does work since the prior is GBC, and the latter is GBA

4. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I have the LOZ: Minish Cap and it plays fine in my DS just put it in the GBA slot on the bottom.

BTW: the Minish Cap is the best GBA game I have played. I am currently on the 4th dungeon and it is very very good. Some people complain about the game not being long enough and also being too easy but I find that it is plenty long if you take on some of the side quests and it is difficult enough to have to do some of the bosses a couple of times and I have gotten stuck a couple of times too. The fantastic art direction and story more than make up for any issues in length and difficulty compared to other Zelda games. The other GBA games that I have that I would highly recommend are Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Super Mario 3. I have River City Ransom as well but it is more of an acquired taste for fans of the old game. Good Luck and enjoy this game, it is a jewel.

5. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

every gba game is compatible.

the only reason it doesn't say so on some boxes is because there was a time in the lifespan of gba when no one knew about the ds yet. ;)

6. pcortez thread starter macrumors member

appreciate it, THANKS

-soon to be enjoying the minish cap

7. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I have the Minish Cap as well and it works just fine on my DS.

I'm playing it through again on my lite because the first time was on my 1st gen non-backlit GBA.

The difference is like night and day. Literally.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Exactly. I'm playing Minish Cap on my DS Lite and it's great.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The DS has the GBA hardware in it (the GBA had the GBC hardware in it, which is why it can play GBC games and the DS can't).

So any GBA game will run.

I've personally played Minish Cap on a DS, works great.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

-Gameboy Micro will only play Gameboy Advance games.

-GBA, SP and Player will play Gameboy, Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance games.

-Nintendo DS and DS Lite will play Gameboy Advance and DS games. Though there is no multiplayer capabilities on the DS for GBA games, no link port.

Though the lines are completely destroyed with an M3 adapter. Playing GB games on a DS Lite and Gameboy Micro with their excellent screens is pretty fantastic.
    this has already been said but just for extra details sake.

11. LastLine macrumors 65816

Does the M3 thing allow you to just plug your GB/C carts straight in or is it a bit more compelx? I've never figured that much out.

12. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

No, it's via emulation. The M3 is a flashcard in the shape of a GBA cart. You put the emulator and ROM on the card and play it like that.

13. LastLine macrumors 65816

Does the M3 adapter come with an adapter to make Roms from GB carts then or do I have to download illegal ones?

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

nope, you need an age-old adapter (Bridge?) to backup games.

15. LastLine macrumors 65816

Any ideas where I might be able to get one of these adapters for a Mac?

16. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Actually I had this question yesterdy, good opportunity to ask it. So on the M3 on a DS Lite, do you still need the Bridge to play GB/GBC games? I know on my old flash cart on the GBASP you needed a bridge. Didn't know if they did away with that or not.

17. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I really really want to play that game. Other than the Seasons Zelds games and Majoras Mask I've played through every Zelda.

I'll probably end up buying it soon, I recently tried flashing the Minish Cap Rom to my card but the copy protection must disable the flash save or something :confused:

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No. You use software emulators to emulate the GBC/GB.