DS Homebrew

Discussion in 'Games' started by 7on, Aug 2, 2006.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Any good suggestions for DS homebrew? Like for instance the hardware to run them? I was looking at the Passcard 3 and SD flash card from M3 - but I hear some homebrew doesn't work with certain hardware, would a Passcard be perhaps the most compatible? Thanks.

2. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

Bump?

I pretty much want a rundown on how to do homebrew on the DS. Googling it is waaaay too confusing.

pwease?

3. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

This thread at Neowin.net is full of DS homebrew info.

4. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I just got my G6 Lite and Passkey and posted a tiny review on my blog. Heres a copy and paste:

[​IMG]

Whats a G6 Lite? Its the highly anticipated Nintendo DS Flash kit, the only one which fits into the Nintendo DS dust cover flush. With the G6 lite I can download Nintendo DS games, movies, and books without paying the $39.99 price in stores.

G6 Lite did a nice job packaging the kit professionally. Inside the simple white box is a round tin case with G6 Lite stenciled on the top. Inside the tin, neatly placed in foam is G6 Lite cartridge, three color cartridges to match your Nintendo DS, the usb burner that the cartridge will fit into, and a empty size GBA cartridge just in case you have a fat Nintendo DS. Overall, the packaging is much better than the competing flash kits.

A few minutes later after downloading the new software for the G6 Lite I was enjoying my free Nintendo DS games. The 4gig G6 Flash, the one that I got, can hold about 8 Nintendo DS games adn 22 Gameboy Advance Games.

[​IMG]

To prevent exactly what I'm doing Nintendo made it so no Nintendo DS data cannot be loaded from the Gameboy Advance slot on the bottom. This was easily avoided by hackers with a method that involved "Flashing" a wire that prevented the data to be loaded. "Flashing" involved poking the wire with aluminum foil to short circuit the wire, doing this can also "Brick" your Nintendo DS, meaning the whole Nintendo DS was flashed.

A safer way to mod your Nintendo DS is to buy a Passcard. Most are the same size as a Nintendo DS game and don't require anything but putting it inside the Nintendo DS slot. I'm not sure what it does but it works.

Even with this though I will still buy some Nintendo DS games, some series will get my financial support. Anyways, as Brandon would say the Nintendo DS world is my clam.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Passcard/Passkey/PassMe you use doesn't matter. Both the M3 CF and M3 SD will run any homebrew designed for flash carts and regular cartridges, though some homebrew is designed specificly for the Compact Flash cards, so the M3 CF is the most compatible. These days most homebrew has been adjusted for the M3 SD though, so M3 SD would probably be fine and is much smaller than the CF.

The G6 is like the M3 but is a flash cart- it doesn't have anywhere near the potential capacity of a SD card. The Supercard is also like the M3, but $10-$20 cheaper and has bad compatability in GBA mode.

Moshiii, please don't promote piracy.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You need a PassKey to put in the top slot of the DS to trick it into booting in DS mode (you can, if you want, use it to flash the DS firmware so you don't need it anymore), and an adapter in the bottom slot to run your homebrew.

I'd recommend the M3 as the best adapter. G6 and Supercard are alternatives. But M3 works best, both for GBA and NDS roms (GBA roms are easy to rip, and the M3 actually has a downloadable rom ripper software that rips games from the top to the bottom slot for you), and for homebrew.

7. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

Okay. So I have a DS Lite. I have a bunch of CompactFlash cards as well (and a card reader ). I need a PassKey and a M3 to download and run GBA and DS Homebrew? Am I to purchase anything else?

I don't know why, but I find this particular thing very confusing. The DS Emulator sites say absolutely nothing.

8. kallaway1 macrumors member

something that I've been able to find absolutely no information on is how people actually patch and then transfer the games and homebrew applications to your SD card in the first place. It seems like the M3 comes with a piece of software called Gamemanager, of which there is no mac version. Do we *have* to install bootcamp to do this (I only have an 80 gig hd), or is there another way to get this software patched?

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. PC only.

But some mini DS games like the Zelda demos seem to work without patching. I just copied them off my Mac and onto my SD card and they run fine.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You only need to patch if you need savegames.

Demos don't need patching.

11. kallaway1 macrumors member

Do you think it would work if I used Parallels? I don't know a whole lot about that software but it seems promising for this application...

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Resurrecting this old thread because I'm getting more and more interested to have a look at the DS homebrew software out there.

I've seen this apparently neat solution. What do you guys think?

Things I like:
    - Fits in the DS Cart slot
    - OS looks good and simple
    - Looks VERY easy to use.

Things I don't like:
    - Kind of pricey
    - Kind of low storage capacity

I hope it works with the rumble pack.

Green emphasis in quote below = things I like.

Product page
    Review

_

Attached Files:

13. lost_mobius macrumors newbie

DS Lite Homebrew

I have a supercard lite and passme 3. They work great and the price was more reasonable. The supercard lite uses micro sd and plays homebrew, ds games, gba, nes, and more. I got scummvm to work as well for monkey island. I love ds homebrew. Everyone is correct though you need a Windows box to patch games, but you could try crossover to install the loader program into osx. Hope this helps.

lost_mobius

14. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

How do you get n64 emulation to work on the DS?

15. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You don't. From what I remember, the DS isn't much more powerful than the '64, and that doesn't leave enough spare to emulate another proc arch. Sorry, dude. Although from what I remember, the GP2X should be able to do it (I know it does PSX emulation)

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure piracy is frowned upon on this forum. I'll forward this thread to a moderator's attention.

17. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Agreed, but please report only the offending post. The rest of the thread stayed pretty much on topic, which is the use of legal homebrew software on the DS.

18. darkwing macrumors 65816

Yes that's what I did. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

19. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Wow, a tattle tale. :rolleyes:

20. lost_mobius macrumors newbie

Who got n64 working on there ds. I own the games I transfered to my ds lite thus it is not pirating, I only loaded the stuff I bought. And my supercard lite also sits flush with my ds lite, nothing sticking out. I actually bought it for that reason because I play gba a lot and the games stuck out of my ds lite, thus with the supercard lite I can play my purchased gba games and not have them stick out of the slot, i just load them on the supercard lite. You got to love technology. Now I only carry the ds lite and the charger, I already have every game I own loaded on the microsd the supercard lite uses.:D

21. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Has anyone gotten their DS-Xtreme cards yet? I plan to order one, but I'm just waiting on another review or 2 that says it's all that it says it is.

It's the only card that has OS X support too which is good for me since I hate having to hook up my PC.

If the DS-Xtreme isn't so great, then I'm ordering the M3.

22. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I haven't tried it yet but the biggest weakness of the DS-Xtreme seems to be its relatively small capacity compared to its competitors (512MB). DS games are supposed to be 5 to 30MB on average and up to 128MB theorically. Just wanted to make sure you didn't expect more. ;)

The smaller capacity wouldn't really be a problem for me because apps can be quickly switched with drag and drop but it might be very unconvenient for people who want to carry lots of apps at a time.

The strongest selling point for me is its apparent ease of use.

Here is a review from MaxConsole

Here is a little video of the DS-Xtreme in action, running DSOrganize, a homebrew app: Link

23. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I thought the DS-Xtreme was going to have an SD port on it? I remember seeing it in photos but maybe i'm just going nuts :)

Yeah the convience of the DS-Xtreme is a huge selling point. Memory size is kinda low for the price, though you can still fit quite a bit on there especially if it's emulation/homebrews.

Definitely has to be better than my 128mb Flash Advance Xtreme Card.

24. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

If you mean the little black thing at the top that looks like a microSD slot, I think that's a flip-out USB connector

25. Rice Cooka macrumors newbie

Ok somebody explain this to me... as if I were a 5 year old: if I just want to run gba software from the gba port all I would need to buy is a G6 lite (so it would look snazzy in my ds lite) and I would not need a passkey as long as I don't want to run DS stuff. Correct? Or not?