DS Lite Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Moshiiii, May 30, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

12 more days.. discuss. :D

2. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm too busy with my GBA still!

Several games look great though.

Question for anyone that knows... can you play GBA games with a link cable and DS+GBA? I have a GBA and was thinking about getting a DS so my wife and I can both play via system link... possible?

3. macrumors 601

I was looking forward to the DS Lite, but then I realized that there are very few RPGs released so far for the DS, and there are a LOT of them for the GBA. I realize that you can play GBA games on a DS/DS Lite, but why? Is there any benefit, other than the adjustable backlight? I'm just asking, I really don't know much about these things.

4. x86
    macrumors regular

x86

lol, I just got mine today... The screens are amazing compared to the old model. The only bad thing I noticed is that the upper frame feels a bit cheap, but other than that no complaints here!

5. macrumors 604

zap2

GB Micro.. thats a nice little system, some Mario Kirby and Tetris and your golden:D

6. macrumors member

bump

GREAT QUESTION!
    Does anyone know the answer to this? This is the only thing keeping me from running out to pre-order the lite today!

Thanks ya'll.

7. macrumors 68040

No. There is no link cable port on the DS... there's only wireless for connectivity and a port for the charger. There may also be wireless (most likely WiFi) connectivity to the Wii when it is released.

8. macrumors Core

Dagless

longer for us UK folk, BUT WE GET THE BLACK ONE ner ner

9. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If that is true then the next question is: can you play system-link GBA games over WiFi with 2 DS systems?

10. macrumors 68040

I'm not sure about that one. I think it's a great idea, but I don't know if that's possible. Sorry.

11. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

I too am not sure what you mean, either but I'm guessing no/yes/no. let me explain.

GBA game that is multiplayer that would use the modified USB/System link cable to another GBA system ... "Possibly" would work over WiFi ... as there are WiFi adapters for the GBA SP systems but I would estimate NO because those adapter TRICK the SP into thinking its using a Link Cable.

YES for WiFi to GCN IF there was a WiFi adapter to that; but for now Nada.

This is tuff information to find out I say just take a stab at it.

Where are you people finding news of the DS Lite coming to the US?

12. macrumors 6502a

If this helps any, I dropped 3 different DS Lights today (1 on a very hard floor, the other 2 on a wooden floor multiple times) and nothing happened to any of them. Our handhelds are always made pretty sturdy. I've actually dropped the old DS (DS was open) about 5 feet from a hard tiled floor in a store and it didn't phase it.. sure couldn't do that with a psp lol..

13. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Wow I can't believe it's only 12 days away! I already have the New Super Mario Bros. and I'm thinking about dishing out the cabbage for Animal Crossing and/or Mario Kart... but I think I will rock Mario Bros. for now

14. macrumors 6502a

no the GBA doesn't have wi-fi like the DS has. The wireless adaptor is just that. It isn't true wi-fi like the DS.

15. macrumors Core

Dagless

IIRC it's just a radio transmitter/receiver. not 802.11x, bluetooth etc. just some real basic cut down wireless. wouldn't be surprised if it incorporated some kind of miniature gnat or similarly sized mini-beast to ferry data back and forth.

16. macrumors 6502a

sb58

i plan on getting it on June 11. i might have to be late/miss a party(zap2's) just to get it. but we'll see.

17. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No.

18. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Its out in Australia tomorrow :D However I just bought a Gameboy Micro, so I might wait a bit. Maybe I will get it when they release a game with the handheld :)

19. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'll be getting one along with new super mario bros. as well...can u believe i still haven't open my MP: hunters yet.

Bless

20. macrumors 68030

risc

I'm in Australia... tomorrow! ;)

21. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It feels good for a change, doesn't it :D

22. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I want pictures from my pals down under....don't care if they look the same...want pictures!

Bless

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I agree, the Gameboy Micro is a very sleek machine. I got Drill Dozer today to hold me until the DS Lite come. That game is awesome btw :D I unloaded my regular Nintendo DS, Animal Crossing, Resident Evil DS and Zelda: Minish cap on ebay to fuel the Nintendo DS Lite.

and yes I am jelouse of the Uk's black DS!

24. macrumors regular

I dumped my DS to my cousin for 50 bucks just so I can buy a lite. Just less than 2 more weeks and I'll be able to play all my DS games again in stunning color! Also copping New Super Mario brothers. And maybe a supercard.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

That was a nice gesture :D