DS Lite or Nano?

Discussion in 'Games' started by bowens, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have been wanting a Nano for quite a while. I have a Shuffle but was thinking about getting a Nano with the Nike+ kit. But now I have played a DS Lite a couple times and I'm really thinking about getting this instead. My birthday is coming up in a few days so I know I'll be getting some money, probably a couple hundred bucks. If I bought a Nano it would be the $250, so I would have to put in some of my own money. If I bought a DS Lite, I could afford the system and a few games. What do you guys think?

Also, what does the DS come with? Any accessories? I would probably want a car adapter for long trips. How long does the battery last? What games do you guys think I should get. I have already decided if I do get one, I will definitely get Big Brain Academy and True Swing Golf. I also saw that Madden 07 is available. Does anyone know if NCAA Football 07 will be available. I didn't see it listed on the website. Thanks.

Edit: One more question. Brain Age or Big Brain Academy?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go for the DS Lite. but I already have an iPod Mini so don't really need a new iPod.

The battery life lasts between 8-15 hours (from experience) though it wildly varies between screen brightness, volume and wifi.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Get a Nano.

BUT GET IT FROM APPLES REFURBISHED STORE ONLINE! THE US IS EVEN CHEAPER THAN THE UK, AND A 4GB NANO IS £113 HERE - THATS ALMOST £70/£80 OFF THE RRP!

4. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I like my 4GB white nano very much but I'm selling it after a week or two of owning it (it's in nearly perfect condition) because I'm going to need the money for Mac Pro RAM.

I'm selling for $200, PM me if you want it.

5. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

just to let you know the madden and ncaa graphics probaly wont be to good

6. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

US Apple store are selling them brand new, with a years warranty, and free shipping for $169.

Go there, for sure!

Link to Apple Store page..

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends how much music you listen to. In my case, I don't listen to enough music to justify the purchase of an iPod- I've got a 5-hour MP3 CD in my car with all my music, namely, the soundtracks of Phantom of the Opera, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros Melee, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and some assorted MegaMan X and Super Mario Bros tracks.

8. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I think in the long run you might have more fun with a Lite. But it depends on how much fun you have with video games. Maybe put in some more of your money and get a refurb Nanon and a used Lite?

9. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

DS Lite! If you want to get your hands dirty you can do some research and find out how to turn your DS Lite into a mp3 player.

10. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Seems to me that you've made up your mind already, anyway, so get that DS lite ;-) I recently bought one, too, and I don't regret it. So far I have NSMB and Mario Kart. If you have WLAN access you should definitely get one of the games that support online gaming (have a look at www.nintendowifi.com).

The Nintendo DS lite basically comes without any accessory other than the charger and a second stylus. One accessory you might want to buy on the long run is a Supercard lite or a M3 Perfect Lite (allows you to run homebrew stuff).

11. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

So what do you guys think about my last question?

Brain Age or Big Brain Academy?

I haven't played Brain Age but I thought BBA was pretty good.

12. deggs37 macrumors member

Brain Age is much much better than Big Brain Academy, I have both of them and I haven't touched BBA since the day I got it.

13. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

I'd almost say the Nano, I have both DS Lite and Nano and I must say you get a lot more use out of an iPod (well I do anyway) seeing as it doesn't require your undivided attention and if you plan on running the iPod is a must!

14. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

DS Lite. It is such a worthy investment that will only get better with new games, your nano will be outdated every 3 months when they come out with new ones:)

15. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hasn't been a Nano update for almost a year now.

Depends really bowens, if u get the subway places get a DS, if u walk places, cycle or drive an iPods the best for that. Unless of course you plan on using them for home, in which case I'd recommend the DS.

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

When I bought mine, Toys 'R' Us was running a promotion where for an extra $20 I got both Brain Age and Big Brain Academy, plus a carrying case. That was a great deal because I like both of these games. Not sure if they are still doing that but it wasn't that long ago.

17. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Exactly why there will be an update soon. October is iPod season.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Am I the only person who goes jogging without an iPod? I can't stand music when I'm running, detracts from the experience I find. worrying about earphones falling out, or cables bashing around and of course the thin music player + doing something sporty just doesn't seem like a safe combination.

Mind you I do fell running so it's a little more dangerous/exciting than running around a city in Nike shoes :p

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

My vote is for DS Lite. Nanos are delicate.

To turn your DS into an mp3/mpeg4 player get the:

Play-Yan Micro

and

One of Ninetendo's supported 2Gb flash cards (Hint: The ones with circles next to them work)

or if you want to do homebrew get an

M3 adaptor

The M3 adaptor uses a flashcard to hold its files and homebrew is done through emulation software such as moonshell.

The Play-Yan is an official Nintendo product and supposedly doesn't have much Japanese on the menus at all. I found that 2 Gb flash card that is supported for like $70 a few months ago on Amazon so altogether it would cost $140 or so to make a DS into a music/movie player. So it is more expensive for less capacity than an iPod but you get the ability to playback movies saved on a flashcard. I'm not sure but I think if you could get them compressed right you could get at least a few movies on that size of card. Also, you should know that the play-yan has better quality playback than an M3. Oh, and finally you will need an flash card reader to get the files onto the cards. They are like $10.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

...hard question. My DS lite, is my favorite game system i have EVER OWNED, but the iPod is an amazing little music player. My try a 512mb Shuffle and a DS lite. If thats not on the cards, i'd say go DS lite, as the Nano is likly getting upgraded soon anyway, so save up for 2g Nano

21. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Btw., the M3 lite adapter will be released soon, so it's probably a good idea to wait another 2 weeks before buying an M3 adapter.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Although that uses mini-SD's, doesn't it?

Anyway, the M3 group has always been VERY bad about keeping release dates, so we'll see. The original M3 didn't come out for like three months after they said it would. The date just came and went and it was never available.

23. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry forgot about that, I thought he meant every 3 months from when he buys an iPod it'd be upgraded.

Anyone ever used/own one of those 2GB flash cards for music? I'd be tempted to buy one, the old minis on the blink.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe I'm spoilt, but I can't use anything else as a music player since getting my iPod. no DS/M3 adapter, no PSP, no phone. though with the GB Micro's small size it could be a very small and convenient MP3 player. though the software is severely lacking.

25. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Read my first post. I have a 1 gb shuffle. I was thinking of upgrading to a Nano or buying a DS Lite.