DS Lite or PSP?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DarkNetworks, Jul 4, 2006.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm planning to buy a handheld by the end of this month but i need to decide weather to get a PSP or DS Lite. I dunno but I do enjoy playing Sports and Racing games more rather than RPGs etc...should I go with the PSP or DS Lite? Don't really plan to use this thing for Music or Videos as I do have an iPod. As far as browing, can i do some web browsing with the DS? Is the DS just a game console and nothing other than that? What would you recomend? Need advice. Thanks in advance...

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

you will soon be able to have a web browser on your ds lite. since the media is not that important to you that takes alot of value out of the psp. also you have to ask you self would you want to play a 30, 40, 50... (etc) hour game on your psp or your tv or computer. having played both i prefer the ds lite as my game system and my psp as a back up ipod + video player.

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Get a DS Lite. You can buy the DS Lite web browser if you want when it comes out.

But if you want a game machine- you'll enjoy the DS Lite.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

If you want racing and sports games then definitely go with the PSP, I just got one and I love it. My only complaint with it is that it doesn't get great battery life but other then that I love it.

Also don't make the mistake I did, I thought the PSP used regular SD cards but they use their own MemoryStick Duo (about 1mm thinner then an SD card).

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if your going to do home brew get a psp

if not DS lite.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Get whatever suits you...DS for great platformers and nintendo originals...PSP for action/adventure and racing games....music and the likes...whatever you want.

Bless

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

No more homebrew on PSP past Version 1.5

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd say you should go for the PSP because I had the same preference when I bought a handheld and I bought both. I played the DS for about a week, got board and sold it at a loss and I'm still playing the PSP.
    Note: this was over a year ago and I recently bought a ds again for some of the new games and I am seriously considering taking it back after the couple weeks. The PSP is just better. IMO.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

firmware downgraders.

11. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Ditto. It's fine that plenty of people around here love the DS and hate the PSP, but the simple fact is that the best sports and racing games are for the PSP unless you like the cartoony Mario Kart. Graphics are better on the PSP, and the single widescreen is much better for sports/racing games than are the two DS screens, which are great for other innovative games. I play NBA Live 06 on my PSP every day and I absolutely love it. There are multiple NBA, NFL, MLB, and Soccer games available for the PSP. Check out http://www.gamespot.com for reviews and screenshots of lots of games for all current systems.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

DS Lite for-
    Battery life
    Amazing screen
    platform, FPS, action and new types of games (which are very very good, Animal Crossing, Kirby etc)
    Multiplayer
    Price

PSP for-
    the 2nd best screen in a handheld system
    homebrew
    racing and sports games (though one of the best racers I've played has been on the DS - Mario Kart)

DS Lite against-
    have to purchase accessories for multimedia and browser abilities
    legacy games poke out the bottom
    stylus should be a tad bit longer
    sound quality (same for PSP, original DS sounds better)

PSP against-
    Battery life
    controls
    sound quality
    Dead pixels
    over priced
    Memory card duo
    Not very portable
    Not very good games
    LocoRoco being the only game bringing something "new" to the table

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Guess who hasn't got Mario Kart :rolleyes:

14. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I'm sensing some bias in that...

The PSP's battery life is no match for the DS Lite's but its not that bad I get about 4.5 hours with the screen all the way bright (better then my PowerBook). The DS Lite does have an amazing screen but so does the PSP, also remember the DS Lite just came out and the PSP is from the time of the original DS so maybe Sony will update the screen (that's assuming they get their heads out of their arses with the PS3 first). What's wrong with PSP's multiplayer? The PSP is $200 I really don't think that's asking too much for what it is, Nintendo has always had lower prices they everyone else. It's portable enough for me and all the games that I own and have seen for it I like, the only games I have seen that I really don't like (ironically enough is a sports game) is Winning Eleven 9 and that's only because when on defence it keeps switching your player.

15. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Guilty as charged. :D

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It really isn't bias he has owned both. And it is very true what he says

17. crachoar macrumors 6502a

You want bias?

How's 19 defective* PSPs suite you, to 3 defective DS units?

*dead pixels, stuck pixels, lit pixels, bubbles within the screen coating, dust under the screen, came pre-scratched (as in, lots and lots of scratches) broken buttons

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Please. Let's not try so sell him our personal preferences but the handheld that is the best suited for his needs. I'm a DS lover myself but in this case, I thing the PSP is best suited for his needs, which are A) Sports Games, B) Racing Games, and C) Web Browsing.

19. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The PSP currently has the best Sports and Racing games but that isn't to say that good ones won't come out for DS. Say what you want about it being cartoonish but Mario Kart is one of the most fun online racing games available (even with snakers...)The touch screen also makes Metroid Prime Hunters the best FPS even though the graphics are not as good as a PSP. Unfortunately, the next big games for DS are Zelda, FFIII, Starfox, and Phoenix Wright II...not any racing or sports...

With the Opera web browser addon, the DS will be superior for browsing. The touch screen will make it easier to navigate around websites...

To those saying you can't do homebrew on the DS, I guess you haven't seen the M3. There is a pretty big homebrew movement on the DS, although maybe not as big as on the PSP..(there is even a linux installation for DS)..Also, buy a Play-yan micro or M3 and it can be a .mp3/mpeg4 player.

Here is a link to a thread where I listed many of the great games for NDS...There are far more than PSP but if you are only interested in the genres you specified than the PSP is for you.

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

trouble is the M3 costs a fair amount, with the psp you don't need to buy anything extra, just downgrade the firmware.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

DS Lite +M3 (uses cheap and common SD cards)=£140-150
    PSP value pack=£170
    PSP giga pack=£210

Still saving money. plus the DS has the upcoming Doom DS remake, a really good homebrew app in the making. Sure its only 1, but it's DOOOOOM.

22. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Ummm.. One way or another ones gonna be.......oh forget it,D.S. Lite all the way:D

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Memory Sticks aren't free are they? Yeah you have to have the M3 on top of a flash card but I was just pointing out it is possible.

24. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Okay, look, honestly, if you don't know, don't post.
    Homebrew can be run all the way up through v2.6. above v2.0 you just have to have GTA to play homebrew.
    Pretty soon due to a recent break through, all homebrew may be able to be played on v2.6. Kernel access!

25. buffalo macrumors 65816

can someone give me a brief description of what homebrew is?

Thanks!