DS Lite Problem: I Need Your Advice!

Discussion in 'Games' started by AppleGuy08, Jul 9, 2006.

1. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Hey all. Just a few minutes ago, I was playing a little Sudoku on Brain Age. As I went to fill in a number in the bottom right hand side of the touch screen, it popped down then up! Its almost like pushing in the cap of a snapple bottle..you know what i mean? It just pops in and out, in and out. Its driving me nuts. I just got this DS last saturday, and still have the receipts. Should I go and exchange it?

[​IMG]

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you really expecting anyone to suggest not to take it back?

3. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

lol...haha...wierd question....:rolleyes:
    just take it back....;)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No don't take it back. You'd be silly to replace it.

5. playm0de macrumors member

Exchange it. Don't settle for anything less than perfect.

6. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Wow. The people at Fry's sure are dicks. They wouldnt take it back because of "physical damage." Considering ive taken care of it as if it were a baby, and that its less than 10 days old, thats a bunch of BS. I am currently getting higher and higher up in the "chain of command" there with my complaint. I think when im done with them, they'll just give me the new one.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Here's what you do. Pour a little water or soda into the card slots, wait a week for oxidation to take effect and for everything to dry and short out the machine. Then go back and say the machine just died on you and you don't know why. Instant exchange.

There are are other ways but that was common when I worked in the electronics business.

8. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Or just take it back at Walmart, say you got it as a gift and don't have the receipt.;)

9. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

^^^ good ideas lol. i like the walmart one slightly better though. Considering its near my house, and all the people who work there are morons :)

10. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Call Nintendo: 1-800-255-3700

1. Tell them the problem and tell them Fry's won't do anything about it.

2. They'll replace your unit.

End of story. Sucks Fry's is being bitchy about it, but you should have bought it from a store with a better return/exchange policy (Costco, Target, Wal-Mart). Fry's is horrible when it comes to problems like the one you're having.

11. crachoar macrumors 6502a

They ask to scan your national I.D. in that case. It scares me...

12. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

In the past, ive had great experiences with Fry's return program. But heres an update! I just went to walmart. I told them i got it as a gift and didnt want it anymore. She asked for my ID. I hesitate, but pull out my driver license. To the fellow above ^^^ (she didnt scan it!) lol. Just as she was about to give me the gift card, a piece of paper came up saying that the DS was from FRY'S! I couldn't believe it. Of course I played dumb, and briskly walked out.

Heres the new plan (what i should have done in the beginning) In about 2 hours, im going to go back over to frys. Hopefully the black guy that helped me is off duty. i will just say i dont like it, and return it (not mentioning that anything is wrong w. it) then ill be sure to get my cash back (within 30 days) and ill walk over and get a new one.

13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

just call nintendo. from what I've heard, they're great about things like this and they'll even send you a new ds before you have to send in your damaged one.

why spend so much time trying to pull one over on fry's or wal-mart when one quick call is all you need to do?

14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Just tell them it has stuck/dead pixels err (white spots on the screen after you use it for a while)...They won't have a game to test it with and will exchange it...If they don't send it to Nintendo...They will replace it no matter what...I can't believe Fry's won't take it back...I've been buying stuff from Walmart lately when I can't wait for something to come from an online store...They will take anything back pretty much..Bestbuy and Target will too...Costco has an extremely liberal return policy although they don't do exchanges...Returns only...

To be honest, it is really dumb for them to lose a customer over something so stupid that won't cost them anything...It seems that it may cost them some customers from this forum as well...I know I won't buy something from them after hearing this...There are too many inexpensive places to buy electronics to put up with this ****!

15. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

^^^ Very true.. Anyway, i just got home w/ my new DS :) Went over to Fry's, some woman looked over every part of it, then i got my money back. Problem is, they didnt have anymore in stock. So i hopped over to walmart, and picked up the new one. Fu*k frys! I win

16. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Hrm...interesting comment there. :confused: I'm interested to know why you think that piece of information was relevant.

17. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

wow cool..glad to hear, problem solved...:D

18. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Because thats the same guy that told me i couldnt return it. If i went back when he was on duty, i would not have been able to return it and get my money back. (and please dont over analyze this story and change it into some race thing) im just telling my story.

19. MS bulldog macrumors regular

its fraudulent acts like this that make those "customer friendly" return programs disappear forever. it also contributes to rising prices for everyone else. glad they shot you down. for everyone else, computers can track serial numbers on electronic hardware...especially gaming devices. i would venture to guess that tracking is necessary nowadays, since it seems people have no problem with committing fraud.

glad you got it resolved the right way.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Call Nintendo directly.

21. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

What i tried to do is hardly a fraudulent act. Its just all one big circle. Do you really think that walmart has some guy back there with a little screw driver and his little tool set fixing all the broken DSs? Hell no! They send it right back to Nintendo. A "fraudulent act" would have been me buying a DS, taking it home and gutting it for parts, then returning it. Or getting a game, taking the chip out of the shell, and returning it.

22. MS bulldog macrumors regular

rationalize it however you want, but the bottom line is that you lied. you tried to convince a company that did not sell you the item to use their resources (man power, shipping necessary to return, and administrative expenses) to satisfy you as a customer. the problem is that you were not their customer, you were fry's customer who was trying to exploit a company's lenient and forgiving return policy. luckily walmart was not as moronic as you thought and prevented your unethical dumping of a faulty product. luckily fry's, after a little persistence, agreed to honor their return policy and take care of you the customer.

bottom line is that honesty is the still the best policy.

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I agree that honesty is the best policy but the bottom line is that there is no reason why Fry's shouldn't take back a device that will just go back to Nintendo with no questions asked. There are plenty of places out there to get cheap electronics that don't hassle their customers over a simple return...

24. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I'll admit...

The returning to Walmart is fraud, even though I ushered the idea, lol. However, when I got my DSLite, nobody scanned its serial number, and so I figured they didn't scan yours. Sometimes it's just easier to take it to Walmart for a return. And besides, while I don't deny it shouldn't be Walmarts problem, all Walmart does is send it in and they get another from Nintendo. And if Fry's were to screw you over, it does seem like a nice alternative.

How do I rationalize it? These liberal return policies aren't going to last for more than a few more years. Millions of people take advantage of them each year, to make PROFIT off of stores like Walmart. Some stores, like Target, have already stopped being so easy on returns. If it's gonna end soon anyways, and I was about to get screwed out of a DSLite, I might as well just exchange it at Walmart.

I'm not here to make any enemies, or throw my ideas out to make anyone else seem wrong. I love this site, so don't hate me. :p

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

victimless crime is victimless.

i draw the moral line when something has a negative effect on someone elce that is not acceptable.