DS lite wi-fi

Discussion in 'Games' started by paddy, Jun 24, 2006.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hi, I asked a question in a thread earlier but I got no response so I'll try again. I got my DS mainly for its wifi which I hear is pretty good. Anyway I went home turned it on and tried to connect onto metroid prime online. The DS cant find any wireless connection. I found this really annoying as after no effort I connected a friends psp to my wireless modem. I have an iMac G4, no airport and a Netopia Cayman 3347W wireless modem. I should be able to connect shouldn't I? Any answers would very greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, MR's hasn't let me down yet.

2. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

3. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Of course I did, give me some credit I'm not that lazy. Anybody know of anyway I can connect via wifi? I might just get a psp instead. That connected with no problems!

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Check the WiFi settings.

Is WPA on, or is it in G-only mode?

Also do you have the latest router firmware updates?

It's not detecting a wireless network at all?

5. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

I don't think I can access the wifi settings because I dont have an airport card. No the DS isn't detecting any wireless network at all.

6. kinesin macrumors regular

What does your router say?? What brand/model is it? <edit: info in the 1st post>

login to the router and check it's config settings. You can find your router at:
    http://192.168.1.254

Any browser should work..

7. kinesin macrumors regular

Right I've looked round the web and read Netopia's product spec... As far as I can tell it's only a 802.11g router :confused: They never mention whether it's 802.11b compatible - and if it isn't then it's never going to play with the DS :(

8. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Please don't let that be the reason! But if it is at least I know now, thanks for your help.

9. kinesin macrumors regular

It might not be... I'm now reading some of the techincal docs and they only mentions 802.11b!! It could be that Netopia haven't updated the doc's on a version change etc.

You defo need to login to 192.168.1.254 and check out what your SSID and security is set to. Post a screen shot ..

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure the PSP is only 802.11b, not 802.11g, thus eliminating that as a possible cause of the problem.

Did you RTFM? The DS WiFi Connection is painless to setup and use. Either you have a subtle configuration problem or you're not configuring the DS properly. If the PSP is working, the DS should work. It's that simple.

11. kinesin macrumors regular

By default the PSP is only 802.11b, however the chipset does support 802.11g, but it wasn't even an option in the firmware. I know sony updates the firmware a lot - they might have enabled it at some point. Not having a PSP, I'm using wikipedia for info.

12. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ya I read the manual. I'd say it's more of a subtle problem. How can I access my wireless settings if I dont have an airport card?

13. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ok I set my prefs to connect using PPoE and the DS can find the access point. How do I find my WEP key? I didn't ever set one I think.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

uh not really. thats YOUR routers IP address. mine is 192.168.2.1. the default is 192.168.1.1. not everyone has the same address.

15. Torajima macrumors regular

Wifi can be a tricky beast.

Are you using WEP? If so, you'll have to enter the password on the DS.
    Are you using DHCP, do you have Static or Dynamic addresses? It could also be a subnet issue.

This link will walk you thru manual settings:
    http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumerservice/gettingStarted.do

16. kinesin macrumors regular

Nope mine is 192.168.1.1 :D I went reading the Netopia user guide to find out what Paddy's router default address should be - assuming it's still the default and I was reading the correct file. Seem's the 3300 series routers have different defaults to 3347W wifi routers.

Well at least the DS can find the base station - Look for a 'wireless configuration' and WEP.

I think this the link to your model of router: http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/manuals/3347W-ENT_qsg.pdf
    See pages 33-37

17. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

This may or may not help, but when I had my old D-Link DI-514 it was not compatible with the DS' wifi connection, it was even stated by nintendos website. However I got it to work by going into the advanced wireless settings and setting the Basic Rates to 1-2 mbps and it worked.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Don't be silly. 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b, unless you set the router to G-only mode.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Do you have ANY computers connected to the router?

If so, just go to
    http://192.168.1.254

20. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

21. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

My friend and I tried to connect with our other friend through Wifi when we were out of town last week. We had to pay $30 for 3 nights of internet at the hotel only to find out that you can't access WFC through a paid connection! What a rip!

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It should have been obvious- on a paid connection, you have to use a web browser to authenticate. DS don't have a web browser. Yet.
    It's not the DS's fault, the paid connection requires you use a web browser.

23. Torajima macrumors regular

24. PBz macrumors 6502

DS Wi-Fi and Apple Networks

Through trial and error I was able to use my DS with my Apple Airport-based network.

A few notes...

If your password is WPA-based, it WILL NOT work.
    If your password is WEP-based, it WILLwork but......

I am almost positive that I had to turn my firewall off AND...here is the fun part...

There is a setting in where you setup your network that adjusts the signal from the router. I forget what it is called but the max setting is 11, others are 2.5, 5.5 or something similar. Anyways.. I had to ALWAYS reduce this power setting to the lowest setting to get consistent signals/connection on the DS.

I did not adjust any port settings. Maybe this has been updated but I grew tired of having to reconfigure my home network settings everytime I wanted to play MarioCart wirelessly.