DS Lite WiFi woes

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mike Teezie, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Two of my friends got DS Lites on Sunday, and came over to my house to use my WiFi to play online. This was to be the litmus test for me, to see if I really wanted to fork over the cash for one of these little beauts.

Well, they came over, and neither of the machines would connect. The network would show up, I'd put the WEP passkey in, hit test connection, and get nothing.

My wireless router is the MS MN-700. I tried connecting the DS in every room of the house, even two feet away from the router itself. Nothing.

It was very frustrating, and my friends had to leave before I ever got the issue resolved. We are supposed to meet over here tomorrow on our lunch breaks, and I really want to be able to connect and play online.

Do you guys know of anything I should try, or that I might be doing wrong?

2. x86 macrumors regular

x86

Sometimes a router will generate several passkeys, but only one will work. Are you using the same one as say, your notebook?

3. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Yeah, I had to enter the passkey in myself when I set up the WEP encryption. Could it still be generating more than one?

4. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Ok, after scouring nintendowifi for information, I found this in my router's setup. I had it set on g(fastest), and now I've changed it to mixed b(fast).

My main concern - my PM has a wired connection to the router. Will my internet be slower now that I've set the router up this way?

It's embarrassing how little I know about WiFi......:eek:

Attached Files:

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I have the same router as you and I hate it with a passion like I hate all Windows products. ;)

Anyways, to your question. No. Your wired connection will keep the same speeds no matter what happens to your wireless connection. You could turn the wireless off and still have wired connectivity.

6. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

No, it'll just allow 802.11b devices (such as the DS) to connect to your WAP. The downside is that a single 802.11b device will slow the whole wifi network down to 11Mbps. For most uses, it doesn't matter.

Also, I don't think the DS does WPA connections -- Only WEP.

7. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

That's right, no WPA. People are complaining about that from what I understand. I wonder why the DS is only b, and doesn't support g?

Anyways - thanks for the help and info everybody. I'll report back tomorrow when the fellas come over.

8. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Just for clairty's sake (since this thread will be indexed and referenced), it's "No WPA."

WPA = WiFi Protected Access (roughly), used to encrypt wifi streams
    WAP = Wireless Access Point

You've got it backwards, actually.

The DS is a 802.11b device, by design (probably to save costs, since the DS never needs 54Mbps). The router, an 802.11g device, was configured to not support 802.11b devices.

802.11g is backwards-compatible with 802.11b (meaning you can use an 802.11g card on an 802.11b network and vice versa), but some devices have software or drivers that let you configure them a "g only", barring 802.11b devices and ensuring the 54Mbps data rates.

Make sense?

9. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Argghhhh, typo! Corrected.

Yeah, I understand that much about WiFi, I was just wondering why Nintendo didn't make the DS Lite 802.11g. I figured a game system would need as fast of a connection as could be had. I had to assume that cost was the reason.

Sweet little system though, for sure. It's going to be hard not to go buy one after I play my friends' online tomorrow.

10. Torajima macrumors regular

I believe "g" devices use more battery power as well. Which is probably why my Palm only has "g".

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

And b is (was) much cheaper when the DS launched, too. And actually, the DS is capped at 3 mbps, so it doesn't even run at full 802.11b speeds.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Depends on the games, but typically a game system would want to have a low latency (delay in receiving/transmitting data) than high speed (quantity of data over a period of time).

Doesn't matter if you can transmit one megabyte per second if it takes 2 minutes for the other end to respond "I've received it". I'd rather have one kilobyte per second that gets there in 0.1 second. ;-)

And as others have pointed out, the DS won't ever reach the maximum allowed by 802.11b anyway.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Which really doesn't matter. I mean, the DS doesn't do network file transfers, and most people's internet connections are slower than 3 mbps or not much faster (IIRC mine is 4 mbps, my previous one was 1.5 and worked perfectly for PC gaming).

14. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry to dig this thread up again Btu I just got my DS Lite yesterday and I was really looking forward to playing metroid online but now it won't connect at all. My wi-fi modem (Netopia Cayman 3347W DS compatible) is connected to my non-airport equipped iMac G4. The annoying thing is my friends psp connected with no hassle at all! Help greatly appreciated.

Edit: Anyone? I'd love to start playing online now! Again help greatly appreciated!

15. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Bump. I'd really like to know how to play wi-fi so please help. It was one of the reasons I got a DS. Thanks in advance, Paddy.