DS, V-Pocket, & Palm OS

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Mar 30, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Handheld rumors have been flying around the web lately, and the most interesting I've seen is the latest from Nintendo.

Apparantly, Nintendo trademarked the name "V-Pocket" in Japan. Many have speculated that this is the American version of Play-Yan (multimedia player). However, considering where the name was trademarked, this doesn't make much sense.

To complicate matters further, several unconfirmed sources have said that Nintendo has licensed palm OS. Very interesting indeed.

I think that this thing is a new "suite" of productivity app's for the DS. The V-Pocket system probably ships with a CF adapter and multimedia software (in a gba cartridge). Also, I bet the palm stuff will go on a DS cart. This means that both could be shipped together. Hopefully, Nintendo includes an email client and a web browser. With a touch screen, the DS would be a fully functioning browser platform.

Any thoughts???
  2. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Can you put both a DS cart and a GBA cart in at once?

I'm intrigued by the DS but can't talk myself into it quite yet... being able to use it as a PDA might push me over. What's the story on the hinge, btw?
  3. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Yeah, the DS has a gba slot on the bottom and a DS slot on the top. When you turn it on, there are three options on the touch screen. The top one is the DS game, the middle is pictochat, and the bottom is the gba game.

I currently have mario 64 ds and Zelda Minish Cap (gba) in my ds. It's pretty cool to have two games on you at all times.
  4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I speculated about them doing this back before the DS was released. The ideal setup, imo, would be all the software on a DS cart, with a small bit of flash RAM (or whatever memory DS carts use to store savegame) to store system settings, and a GBA Play Yan cart with it's MPEG decoder and SD slot; hopefully the MPEG decoder is improved to playback higher quality video, or they scrap it all together, drop the price, and shift the decoding to one of the DS CPUs.

If they do it right, the DS could be an excellent PDA. If it featured a complete media player, web browser, email client, and a couple forms of text input (grafiti and an on screen keyboard) right out the box, and also had the ability to run Palm OS software, without too much reworking (there would have to be some changes made to accomodate for 2 screens, and only one of them being touch) it would be huge. The expandability to include IM, voice chat, etc would make it extremely popular.

Oh, the DS and GBA slots can be used at the same time, Nintendo announced early on that it could be used for 'add-ons', which I figure included things like this, rumble packs, or expansion packs to popular games.
  5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm almost certain V-Pocket is PalmOS from combining the info on all the sites I've read.

I see two ways it could be done:
    A) The DS carts use 600k or so of saveram, and the rest is ROM. They could make a special cart that is fully read/writable, although it'd probably be a bit expensive.

B) Normal DS cart, the 600k is for saving system data, the cartridge has all the main OS stuff. You then buy a CF or SD card adapter that goes in the GBA slot (or it comes with the package) for $20, and then put a CF or SD card for memory.

And no, the card adapter is NOT the Play-Yan. The Play-Yan is for the GBA to play movies and music, as a result it actually has an MPEG decoder on the cartridge, and costs like $85.

Lik-sang actually has a standard CF card adapter without all the extra MPEG decoders and stuff, and it costs $25.

That would be awesome... :D

Also, Nintendo has said IIRC that they are going to be using the DivX codec to release full length movies for the DS. Cool. Although I probably won't buy many if its $20 or more (just like I complained about the PSP- I could buy a DVD for the same price), I may pick up double copies (DVD and DS) of my favorite movies (Star Wars Episode 3?) once in a great while.

But that means they're going to support DivX (a great format)- in which case, w00t. PalmOS I believe is fully capable of playing movies, music, and going online with a web browser (the DS already has 802.11b hardware), so this will be *sweet*.

I'd put some trailers or Clone Wars cartoons on a CF card ($80 for a gig!), and then stock up on homebrew DS games people make. Maybe a GameBoy Color emulator and all my old GBC games. Or SNES even! Maybe my old Sonic games for Genesis. Emulation, baby... :D Anyone know if PalmOS already has emulators like that?

Then I'd take it to school for..."note taking". :D

I can see bottom screen having a popup keyboard, D-pad functioning for scrolling, etc. But yeah, there would need to be some serious modifications for dual screens. That explains why Nintendo is taking so long (the DS runs on the same processor architecture as PalmOS, so a straight port WOULD be possible, although then you'd have problems when it wants you to click on the top screen ;) ).
  6. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I haven't seen a single rumor about V-Pocket ever since it was revealed as a trademark of Nintendo with logo, and I've been following GameSpot and IGN quite often lately.

I think V-Pocket will be the American or even international name for Play-Yan. What could the V stand for? Video is my only guess and would fit in perfectly. I know, the trademark was registered in Japan, but I don't see what the V stands for.

However, I will say, if it's pretty much PalmOS on a cartridge, I'm gonna have to buy a DS and V-Pocket. That could be a killer app, from a non-gaming standpoint.

But, there have been a few, sparse rumors about Nintendo releasing a sort of DS 1.5, you could say, at E3. It's supposed to be a souped up DS with many more multimedia capabilities, like the PSP. V-Pocket could just be that.

But, hey, it's all speculation.
  7. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    I highly doubt Nintendo would retool the DS into a "DS 1.5" so quickly - it would make everyone that's bought it up to this point incredibly angry, and calling it the V-Pocket would abandon what little brand recognition they've got with "DS".
    I really hope it's a Palm OS port. I'd prefer it on a GBA cartridge to keep it in at all times, and use the DS slot for games. Web browser, instant messenger, image/video viewer and word processing and I'd use my DS a gazillion times more often than I do now.
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

The Screen Savers also claimed V-Pocket was PalmOS on the DS.

But it still makes no sense. Like you said, it's registered in Japan. Why patent the American name in Japan? Besides, V could stand for Virtual.