Discussion in 'Games' started by spaceballl, May 31, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I was wondering what everyone thinks about this...

For the first time, I had the chance to sit down w/ a PSP a few days ago and walked away relatively impressed. I just bought a DS a week ago too. I'm only moderately impressed with the DS lineup right now while the PSP one is pretty great. However, the future lineup for DS looks superb, while the future games for PSP look sparse.

DS is outselling the PSP by a lot right now too. Right now it looks like neither console will be the clear winner, but I think PSP might reach game gear status at some point. Then again, Sony has a lot more $ to pump into this thing than Sega ever did.

The screen on the PSP is pretty amazing.

What do you guys think?
  2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    PSP all the way.

Although DS does have more games. It jsut depends on what you like. After all you'll be the one making the ultiment choice. :)
  3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Haha I've already made my choice.This thread is just for general discussion...
  4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd definitely go with DS for my primary handheld. Superb upcoming lineup, the touch screen has so much potential. And battery life is a must. Most PSP games I've seen don't appeal to me personally (remember, this is me; Racing games bore me with the exceptions of Burnout 3 and Mario Kart, because you bash people in the process; I don't like bloodbaths; I hate sports games; and I don't like the dual joysticks control for FPS games).

The PSP's price is by far the biggest putter-off for me. The multimedia features are a gimmick IMO- extras thrown in. When I compare the gaming features, I get...

Far better graphics

Much better price point
    Better control for FPS and RTS
    Far better battery life

The DS offers a more unique experience.

That said, I am considering picking up a PSP as a secondary handheld *if* my sister can get a significant discount being a Best Buy employee. Otherwise I'll wait until next year to get it when it drops in price and has better battery technology. Why am I looking at getting one as a secondary handheld?

Two reasons:
    Burnout Legends
    Star Wars Battlefront II

However, I am seriously put off by the high up front cost and the insane price of the games ($50 for a handheld game), so like I said, secondary. If I were to get one, I would only get two or three games total for it. I have a whole list of DS games I intend to buy.

I'd vote DS for the best handheld. It's all about the games IMO. The PSP isn't terrible, but I don't think it will do incredibly well because of the same reasons the Game Gear with a color screen and better graphics lost to the black and white GameBoy; the GG had terrible battery life and high prices. It'll sell decently, make Sony a nice profit, but because of the high price it won't actually outsell any of the competition. Think of it like an Alienware.
  5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live

haha i should or read it rather than just skimmed it. :p

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    PSP all the way. or.. that is until you get one of the many units with bad pixels.. ;)
  7. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

May 30, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Actually SEGA had a LOT of cash back then when the GameGear was launched. Their problem was that their system costed much more to compete with the Original GameBoy. They also had to fight the juggernaut of fan base that Nintendo had & also the key factor of their demise, not many kids/parents rationally purchased either system has set-top consoles where the norm. Different era of entertainment as well.

Same issue this time around: PSP better graphics (doesnt necessarily mean DS is blurry, current games are I know), costs more - hence need to bundle a game/2 with the system, needs to fight installed Nintendo fan base. 2 things going Sony's way, somewhat more portable, and video playback/music playback.

Just remember that Nintendo's installed fan/user base has the ability to play a HUGE selection of games (GBA/DS) and also with a GBA cartridge (allowing CFII or SD memory) to play videos as well. Lastly, Nintendo has teamed up with another company to host an online arena for worldwide game play interactivity; head to head to head depending on the games; AT NO COST TO DS Users!

So any decision anyone makes is entirely up to them. Either way have fun with whatever you choose.
  8. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    ohhhh don't get me started with dead pixals.......

although ive gotten used to it.... :rolleyes:
  9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    DS? Current games are blurry? Huh?
    PSP has Dreamcast-like graphics, DS has slightly-better-than-N64 graphics except without texture filtering. That's where the disparity is, not blurriness.
  10. Foniks Munkee macrumors member

May 15, 2005
    Blurry, no; what your seeing is just a limitation of the hardware. They wont get much better beyond the usual tweaks developers do over the time.

I don't know about the DS - I have one, its nice, but the touch screen thing? I find it very hard to use, the metroid game felt kinda crap.

This is just my opinion BTW, i'm sure others love it, but I don't see myself getting into it as a platform since Nintendo seem to be insisting developers make use of the pen system (i'm not sure, I haven't worked on a DS game as yet), and I find it very uncomfortable. Also - the little thumb thing, it doesn't seem to reach across the entire screen when it is attached to the back of the DS.

Anyway - PSP all the way for me.
  11. MoeG macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2004
    Dubai, U.A.E.

ok, as a DS owner i would say the DS has the best portablility, and has better chances of surviving a fall than the PSP, this is an issue many overlook
    as they are portable systems they can be droped, i dont think anyone can dipute the PSP is better in grfx and 'extras' but there are some downfalls like the batt. ( which i think sony will fix in time ) and one more thing is the size of the games ( i.e. UMD diskes VS DS cards) all i need is to carry the DS and stash some games in my wallet for example and i'm set ( this is to say with no carry cases or anything, sort of on the run thing), but the PSP's UMD's are not as easy to carry ( i can carry 3 DS games to the PSP's One ) .

IMHO these things make a difference for me as somtimes i dont carry my breifcase or shoulder bag...so DS in the jacket pocket...some games and i'm on the run....or in transit....or wating for somthing.... :eek: :p :) :rolleyes:
  12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    A good point- my DS has a ton of scratches on the outer case, I'd hate for that to have been the screen. Clamshell rules.

BTW, for disks vs DS cards;

Disks have the advantage of taking more space, but they do use more power.

Cartridges are smaller, but have less space. Most importantly, and unmentioned so far...NO LOADING TIMES.
  13. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    DS. especially if you live in europe. Sony pushing the release date back to god knows when. how foolish.

so here goes the theory side of it, and the PSP loses out bad;

+Battery life
    +cart based
    +touch screen
    +no loading times
    +no heat or motion or anything
    +plays GBA games (massive thing considering the legendary GBA games)

-disc based
    -have to be careful with screen (nintendo realised that the exposed screen thing dosnt really work)
    -new to it all (read; dosnt have a clue)
    -will NOT be able to play FPS. other than Doom or with a goldeneye style *hold shoulder button to look* movement. bad idea.

and the unwritten rules for handhelds?

+Must have long battery life
    +Must be able to take a lot of damage
    +Must not have superfast 3D graphics (isnt that for consoles?)
    +Must not use discs (loading, vibration, kills battery, savefiles dont like discs, easier to damage than cart)
    +Games must be able to pick up and play with no fuss (portability)

The PSP is alright, but they're trying to be a console. and im only after the Zelda's, metroid's and mario's. and they really remind me of Windows, a patchwork system. trying to do everything but badly :cool:
    not even the DS is brilliant in my eyes. the handheld genre was always one of fantastic gameplay as they couldnt produce beautiful graphics the game makers efforts were focused elsewhere, be it gameplay or music or whatever. Advance Wars, Tetris, Mario Land, Mario Advance, Metroid Zero Mission etc. and now that handhelds are all going 3D we're going to lose the only solid place for 2D gamers, like it used to be consoles for 3D and handheld for 2D. bugger.
  14. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    DS hands down, i mean that is the easiest decision i have had to make in a long time.

where can i get zelda, and metroid, or any of the mario games (in love with mario pinball for GBA) its a very easy choice for anyone that is an actual game fan.

and of course wario ware, i can't wait to buy that game friday when i get paycheck
  15. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    The PSP has a lot of cool features and the games look somewhat interesting. I also like the way the look. But I would also go for a DS just because the price is better and I always liked the type of games the DS has for a handheld system.
  16. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    I chose the PSP over the DS. Neither one is the "killer" handheld, so I think it really comes down to the games. Personally, I'm not into Mario, Zelda, etc. (crazy, isn't it ;)), so the choice was easy for me. I like the sport and racing titles on the PSP, so that was a big factor for me. The music, photo and video functions are just a bonus.
  17. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I'd like to take a moment to congratulates my fellow board members. This is the most civilized, courteous and informative thread I've read about the 2 portable gaming consoles.

When I saw the thread title, I thought to myself that it would be another of those "A Rulez! B Suxors!" thread. Glad it's not. Very refreshing. (Have you guys ever read game reviews (from players) on EBGames? Then you know what I mean)

Keep playing nice ^_^
  18. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    This is really the thing for me. I *abhor* loading screens and every PSP game I've had the pleasure of dealing with has, well, given me too many loading screens for my taste.

DS all the way. I tend to be a Nintendo fan, though, so take that for what it's worth.
  19. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    How is the PSP somewhat more portable than the PSP? I have both and I know for sure that the DS is a lot more portable, for one it doesn't need any sort of case to protect it's screens and isn't as wide as the PSP although the DS is slightly thicker, however if you put the PSP in the Logitech case (that I am actually quite disappointed in can't believe so many people recommend it) then the PSP becomes quite the brick.

I think the "benefits" of integrated music/video playback are really just a gimmick, you want a MP3 player to fit in your pocket or clip onto your belt so you can easily take it with you and the PSP just doesn't cut the mustard for that especially with only 1GB max if you buy a memory stick. The movie playback could be a killer feature for frequent travellers or commuters but most frequent travellers already need to take a laptop with them so tell me again why I would want to awkwardly hold and watch something on the PSP's tiny screen instead of sitting my Powerbook on my lap and watching a DVD or DIVX movie on the 15 inch screen?
  20. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    the general public has more of a reason to buy a DS than a PSP... simple reason, the PSP is absolutely no different than what people can get on consoles. besides for the fact that its portable, it basically a handheld... playstation. For someone who doesnt travel a lot, its not really necessary. I'd rather play my games on a 65in widescreen TV with bose surround sound speakers, than squinting on a 5in screen with crappy speakers.

Now, I got a DS, just because the touch screen gimmick seemed really cool... and it is. I play wario ware touched every day. now i dont have a lot of games for the DS, but i have my eye on a couple new games that are coming out soon....
  21. Eric_Z macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2003
    The PSP will be the way to go for me, once it hits Europe. A truly sweet screen, nifty hw specs and games that I like. What more could I ask for in a portable?
  22. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    I have a feeling this is just the calm before the storm.. :rolleyes:
  23. diddy macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Games like GTA announced, and the ability to watch cartoons on the crapper.

I bought a PSP.
  24. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I like using the one tool for one thing ( becuase it will be better at the 1 thing) but that said, to carry a DS,MP3( for me an iPod), and a laptop around would be hard, so i would rather have the PSP to do all those things so most people who get a psp get it for gaming and the other are extra, nice to have but not as impoatant. thsi said i do not have DS or PSP so i could be wrong( not owning any of em)
  25. strydr macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2005

OK, So I never got into Playstation until the PSP came out. Here's my 2 cents:
    The PSP will have a Linux OS for it (OK, to be fair, DS does already have a Linux OS). PSP already has emulators to play all the old school Nintendo games (not to mention a ton of other emulators). The Screen is BEAUTIFULL (come on Apple, let's see a bigger version of this for my powerbook). It plays movies either from the UMD, or from memory stick. You can rip down your favorite movies with FFMPEGX to fit on it. How `bout using it as the controler for your PS3 (whenever it comes out).. I'm a Nintendo nut from the old school- I still have R.O.B. the robot from my original Nintendo... But I'm a switcher... (until the Nintendo Revolution comes out)..

2 cents out..