DS vs. micro for GBA games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by kingcrowing, Jan 17, 2006.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I just played a GBA game on both an original GBA and then a DS, I own the DS, not the GBA, and the difference was huge! the screen on the DS is way better, although its very annoying having it on the top screen or the bottom for that matter... i've heard the screen on the micro is great, how does it compare to the DS? thanks!

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If your only going to play GBA games then the Micro is the way to go. I've played every GBA-enabled product (GBA, SP, DS, GB Player, Micro) and I have to say the best system is the Micro. well it would be, its modelled around GBA games!

What makes it better than the DS? The buttons are beautiful to press, very responsive. the screen is stunning. It really is small but still the image is totally clear and legible. It has a real pick up and play factor. The battery life never cut out on me whilst I had one and I played a couple of hours a day for about 5 days. Its a marvellous machine designed specifically for GBA so it has an advantage right there.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Both the Micro and DS have high quality backlit screens- except the Micro is smaller (at the same resolution).

It's like the 12" and 14" iBook- in reality, both screens are the same resolution, the 14" is just stretched wider.

The Micro will probably look more stunning simply because it's the same resolution packed into a smaller area, but they're about the same in quality (but the Micro is brighter I think). GBA games look amazing on the DS.

It's similar to the PSP effect. I've found many people that think the PSP of higher quality than a TV and one site even proclaimed that the PSP's screen is "near HD" (ridiculous as it sounds, it's true, they actually said that), when it is in fact a lower resolution than a normal TV- when you have the same amount of pixels over a smaller area, it looks clearer.

4. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

I never directly compared them before, but dang the Micro screen blows away the DS screen... ssooooo much brighter and the games appear sharper.

Like said the Micro also has nicer more "pushable" buttons, so with that in addition to the better screen, I think the Micro is the best for playing GBA games. It also feels very comfortable and I actually play the thing outside the house (very unlike the DS, just too big at this point).

The SP also received a slight upgrade (many call it the SP+). They are the same as the orginal SP except that they have much brighter backlit screens, that are more along the lines of the Micro screen than the DS. Personally I don't like the SP, isn't very comfortable and the buttons aren't great. But everyone has their favorite.

5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Stupid question... I'm a big portable gaming fan, I've owned every portable released in the USA besides the GBC and the NGP (I owned a NGCP though). My question is, why is the GBA Micro selling so well since the GBA is practically dead?

There have barely been any games released for it for the past year, and certainly there are no major releases scheduled this year that I can see. Wouldn't most buyers be better off buying the future-proof NDS?

Sure, great screen, great size, but the SP was pretty pocket sized too. Are people buying the micro new GBA owners or are they existing fans?

As an existing owner of a GBA and two GBA SPs, I've beat all the games I want to play on the GBA, so I don't have any interest in the Micro.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ god knows! There have been a couple of sought after games; Final Fantasy 4 and Castlevania double pack.

There is no logic to the Micro. There was none in developing it and none in owning one. but for some reason its outselling the Xbox 360 in Japan.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

My thought was that the DS was not meant to be the successor to the GBA/SP/Micro. I thought that I'd heard that Nintendo was splitting the two systems and continuing development on both. That's the reason that you have the GameBoy Micro and the Nintendo DS. Yeah, the DS is a portable game system, but like I said, it wasn't/ isn't meant to replace the GameBoy.

As far as their releasing the Micro, well, here's my thought. Originally, they released the GameBoy and later (after sales dipped) the GameBoy Pocket, a newer, smaller model.

After the GameBoy color, Nintendo released the GBA. But a lot of people complained that there wasn't a backlight (like me). So Nintendo released the redesigned SP, and people sold their GBA's and bought an SP (like me). The Micro is really just the smaller GBA, in the same way the Pocket was the smaller GB.

8. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

yeah, I agree about the DS and GBA as seperate things. I really want a nintendo handeld, that would have to be a bit bigger than the micro, but the same style, but with graphics like the DS (maybe a bit better since it'd only have 1 screen) I like graphics like castlevania DS, and then even similar to mario 64 if they wanted a 3D donkey kong tye game... I'd be happy with just 2D like Castlevania DS though...

9. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

The screen on the GameBoy micro is really tiny, but also really sharp (sharper than the iPod nano, IMO).

My only problem with the GB micro is the top buttons. Given the size of the system, I can hardly hold it in a way such that I can easily press those buttons (can't play Metroid Fusion/Zero on it). For classic NES games such as Zelda, however, it's the perfect system.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo is still supporting the GBA and doesn't WANT it to be dead. With the sheer installed base on the GBA, they plan to keep making GBA games for a while since the DS can play them too.

11. benpatient macrumors 68000

The fact that people are willing to pay 30 bucks for an emulated Mario 3 should tell you something.

I got my wife a micro for christmas, and suddenly she's this big gaming freak. This is the same woman who literally choked back laughter when she saw the DS in person for the first time because she thought it so...unattractive.

The micro is exactly what the GBA should have been all along.

I'm just hoping they keep making games for it. Exclusive ones would be nice.

12. cubist macrumors 68020

You guys haven't seen the new, brighter GBA SP? Simply put, the display is gorgeous. Bright, sharp and big. Luscious!

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup, the SP is both beautiful and the new screen is apparently gorgeous. Only probably is with me, and a few other people here, the shoulder buttons are just too hard to get to sometimes.

to sum the whole thing up, from personal experience and my own opinion...

GBA: Feels great. no pain. works very well with Classic games (aka, games you have to hold B to run and A to jump)
    SP: Looks brilliant but shoulder buttons hurt. bad for Classic games.
    DS: Owns the future but terrible for Classic games.
    Micro: Best for Classic. Pity about the new port and lack of GB compatibility.

Every system has its good and bad points. you'd think they'd just make one killer system and be done with it... GB2 anyone? With the speed that the GB2 will have it wont need classic GB chips to play old games, it could just emulate!

14. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I've never owned any portable gaming system, but am now considering the Micro.

The PSP is too expensive, and the DS is tempting but for some reason having two screens seems silly to me, plus it's huge in comparison to the micro.

15. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I'd say it almost seems micro compared to the Ds... :)