DS vs. PSP

Discussion in 'Games' started by virus1, Dec 29, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

virus1

i am stuck midway.

the ds is cheap.

the psp has the style.

i can afford the ds with a game and a case right now, but im 80$ or so away from an unarmed psp. is it worth the wait? i have games that i would love that are on either platform that aren't on the other. gta on the psp and Trauma Center: Under the Knife on the DS.

advice?

2. macrumors demi-god

MacRy

I've got a PSP and think it's absolutely wonderful. I got GTA Liberty City for Xmas and it totally rocks. I'm at work at the minute watching iRobot on it which is a godsend.

Let's bring on the Nintendo fanboys then.......;)

3. macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ive played both, now in my opinion, PSP has the graphics and style but DS has the gameplay, you gotta think to yourself what you will be playing more, simulators(realistic games like for example gran turismo) or games like mario kart. They both have different styles.

4. macrumors 68000

I think you hit the nail on the head there - you can buy a DS and 2 (or more) games for the same price as just a PSP. This, I think, is one of the main reasons why the PSP hasn't sold at all well (the DS was outselling it in the PSP's opening week)

5. macrumors Core

Dagless

DS reasons;
    cheapest
    Animal Crossing
    Mario kart
    Advance Wars
    free online
    long-ish battery life (nothing compared to the SP and Micro though)
    robust as bloody hell

PSP reasons;
    GTA (which pales compared to its predecessors)
    free online, until Sony start charging for it.

in the UK you can get a DS and 4 DS games, or you could buy a PSP Giga Pack with no games.
    speaks volumes.

Also how would you feel paying for a film twice? even more for the UMD. I saw part of a film on a PSP once and I gotta say I'd much rather see it on my 32" living room TV. a brand new DVD here will set you back £12, a UMD costs £15-£20. which is the most retarded thing I've seen a company as big as Sony do.
    OH! its only light-hearted. but I was on the bus yesterday taking my Micro back to the shop, and there were these 2 scallies sat behind me and my mate. One had just bought a PSP game and was playing away on it. Only Tom asks if he could look at my Gameboy cuz he's never seen a GBM in real life. I open the box and all that, and the scally behind says "whoa!" and im sat there thinking... you won James. you won.

6. macrumors demi-god

MacRy

It isn't all simulator type games though. For example Crash Tag Team Racing for the PSP is in a similar vein to Mario Kart (although Mario Kart does rule!).

7. macrumors 68020

Patmian212

HEHE it was more of a generalisation, DS has fifa but the psp does sims better then the DS and the DS does fantasy better then the psp in my opinion.

8. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

PSP looked better to me at first, but when i played them PSP was exactly what I was expecting and DS was more than I was expecting. I'd get the DS and save some money.

9. macrumors regular

I've had both machines since launch, and think they're both great but at the moment the DS seems to be racing ahead with the quality of games available. Although I have a fair few PSP games, very few of them are 'must haves', whereas on the DS the 'must have' list keeps growing and growing.

Of course the PSP has the additional function, ie media player etc, but it depends whether thats useful to you or not.

The one thing where the PSP is streets ahead is design and quality, it really is a desirable piece of kit where the DS looks and feels cheaply made.

10. macrumors Core

Dagless

might wanna take a trip into the real world there, the PSP does look and feel better but have you not heard the stories of them being a tad delicate? they can die after a single drop with motors and lasers etc. the DS may feel cheaper but its a tank, I've dropped mine onto a tiled floor twice from hand level and its honky dory. a handheld needs to be tough like that, more so than a console because they're exposed to more dangers.

great design and hardware quality is one thing but its an extremely bad idea if it sacrifices the machines strength.
    but hey, being able to survive a single fall is a requirement for me. maybe other folk don't mind about delicate gadgets.

11. macrumors 68000

Even better, you can buy a proper portable DVD player (4.5" screen) for about 1/4-1/3 the price of a PSP

12. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'd go with the DS as that has more originality and a lot of games. But you can play movies on the PSP (if you fancy buying all your DVDs again for £20 on UMD, just so that you can watch them on that tiny screen, that is! :rolleyes: )

13. macrumors regular

Well I look after my gadgets ;)

I've no doubt that it is stronger, but it still LOOKS and FEELS cheaply made.

14. macrumors demi-god

MacRy

Ah but you don't have to buy all of your DVDs again because you can convert them for your PSP and have them on a memory card using FFMPEGX or similar.

15. macrumors 68020

freeny

PSP for sure. Im guessing that there are many great games to come for this big screened gem!!

16. macrumors 6502

I buy a handheld for games, not to watch movies. DS by and large has the best games of ANY system right now. Whenever I'm on the metro to school, which is prime gaming time, I also have my laptop if I wanted to watch movies. Go Go DS!!!

17. macrumors Core

Dagless

assuming your watching a good quality DivX or whatever the PSP reads won't the films need to be about 700mb? how much does a 1gb Memory stick thingy cost anyways :cool:

18. macrumors Core

Dagless

RZOMG! U BUY GAEMS 4 UR HANDLED! OMG!!1 HANDLELD 4 MUVIZ N FINGZ DAT R NOT GAEMS!!!1 HAHAhaha GAMEMS SUXXORTS! DS LUKS LIEK POO SO IT IZ POO!!!!1 ROFL!

* i dont know what came over me, but that seems to be the thinking these days for game systems. of course games are secondary these days, duh!

19. macrumors 68000

wwooden

Less then $50 if you get the Giga pack.

20. macrumors 68000

wwooden

I definitely fall into the PSP type. I have played with a DS and it was fun, but the games are not my type, they feel very cartoony. I like FPS and simulation racing games. I tried the Metroid and Golden Eye games on the DS and they didn't do it for me.

21. macrumors Core

Dagless

a 2nd hand PSP with 2 games and a 1gb stick costs £269.00
    £269 will buy you the most popular handheld and pretty much all its most popular games out. well, 7-8 games. or 6 games with an extra battery pack, case and a rare collectable stylus. 6 games would be Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Tony Hawk, Sonic Rush and Warioware.

or you could get a brand new giga pack for £209 with no games. thats a DS and 5 games.

speaking about the games (most important part about a game system no?). in Game PSP games cost MORE than their PS2 counterparts. how on earth did that happen? a DS game will cost you £25. PSP games £5-10 more. for a storage medium that is cheaper to produce than flash carts... again... how did that happen?

22. thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

thanks guys. i think the psp is incredibly expensive now that i look at it. to have most of it's uses as a media player, you need to get a memory card on top of the $250 system. and movies on it, while is cool, is just not practical because of the price of them, and the screen size.

it is so dissapointing though how easy it would be for nintendo to make the ds have psp style. just drop all the ugly shapes about it, drop the huge gba slot, cover it in shiny metal and make it thinner. i suppose that is what i think about all portable electronics. i mean isn't it easier to have it look good? so you don't have to design all the ugly shapes....

getting carried away though here. i guess it comes down to pride. if it is worth being seen with a big looking POS. i used to tease the DS because it looked terrible and the dual screens looked dumb, but playing on it is just right.. you know? kinda like when you hold a new ipod..

thanks ppl

23. macrumors 6502

thumper

DS battery last 10 hours
    PSP only lasts about 2

when i play my PSP im always close to a wall
    cuz i got the AC pluged in. portable??? i dunno...

the PSP is cool.. but if you have a PS2 already... its kinda the same
    thing but the graphics arnt as good and the porty games are striped down.
    i was gonna get Starwars battlefront for the psp.. but then i found that i could get the PS2 version for the same price and it had more features...
    so i ended up buying the PS2 verson. more 'bang' for my buck.

the DS on the other hand as some really neat games
    that you can only play on the DS.

Mario Kart
    Animal Crossing (this is not a kiddy game)
    Castelvania DoS
    Mario and Luigi
    Advance Wars
    Mario 64DS
    Nintendogs
    and Final Fantacy 4 for the GBA slot

is what i got right now...
    and i think thats all i need to keep me
    busy for the next 2 YEARS!!!

the PSP games just dont really do it for me
    GTA is ok, but id rather play GTA SA on the PS2
    which is 20times better.

the PSPS has a nice big screen.. but i couldnt even watch
    lord of the rings on that with out the battery dying half way.

you can buy the add on for the DS which will make it play movies
    sceen is small but, it works and you could watch over 4 full movies b4
    the battery dies. the PSP you can only wach 1 if your lucky

24. macrumors Core

Dagless

hah, somebody removed my comment aye? so comments like mine can go but Nimbus's winking messages remain?

what a glorious fair world this is!

25. macrumors regular

If your PSP battery is only lasting 2 hours there's something wrong with it.