DS web browser and new game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Feb 14, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=86

UPDATED: It's official!

http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=89
    http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=90

2. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

wow this draws my intrest and can't wait to see what they are planning to do.:eek:

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Sounds too good to be true

(*still crossing fingers*)

4. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

damn... I just got castlevania DS today! it rocks, but if this is a new zelda DS or pokemon DS, I'll be psyched!

5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No Zelda DS. They announced:
    (A) A TV tuner for the DS
    (B) Opera web browser for the DS
    [​IMG]
    http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/
    (C) Japanese pricing and release date for Super Mario Bros DS and Tetris DS.
    (D) Cooking software for DS
    (E) Calligraphy Training DS
    (F) Super Robot Wars, Dynasty Warriors, and Winning Eleven discussed, Children of Mana and Xenosaga footage shown

6. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Sounds great but is the screen up to it, especially for tv. Even more when it is compared the the PSP screen. Still good news none the least. The web browser sounds great though :)

7. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

This is really something. I can drop $150-160 for a new, smaller DS (whenever it gets released-- "spring," IIRC,) and $20-30 bucks for opera; and get much better wi-fi browsing than I can get on my treo with a $50 a month data plan and no wi-fi. That's not even considering the gaming, which is very high quality. This is huge.

8. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thats that settled then. I was seriously considering a PSP but now I'll definitely get a DS even if it was just for the web browser.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There's also a 4gb HDD thingy for the DS now. for media and such.

Personally I wont bother with Opera on my DS or these new media features. but its nice they exist.

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Sounds great. Too bad I sold my DS back in October. I may have to pick up a DS Lite once they come down in price to what the normal DS's are sold for now.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

gamefront.de even pointed something different out: wining eleven will be in fact WiFi enabled which sounds like a blast as well

12. cubist macrumors 68020

This is GREAT news! :D
    Takao, it says that Super Robot Wars and Winning Eleven will be Japan-only. What is Winning Eleven about?

13. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'm a little off topic here but I don't want to create a new DS thread for my question.

I wanted to know if any of you know about a good Nintendo DS game cards holder. (Just for the games, not for DS and accessories). I currently have a neat compact aluminum one that can old 8 cards but my game collection outgrew it.

I'd like to get a new one, that could hold at least 12 cards (more = better). Ideally, it would be as compact as possible. Anybody know of a good one?

Thanks

14. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I already love the DS and now have even more reason to do so! Can't wait to check my email on my DS :) Not sure if I would actually buy the Opera card but wonder if they would allow for the demo service that I have read about... being able to walk into any store that sells the DS and previewing titles on your DS through WiFi.

Even more exiced about the new Mario Bothers game :)

15. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've been watching cartoons on it and it looks great. Not sure how movies would look though.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

oh well would have been too good news perhaps

winning eleven is a football(soccer) game series ...

17. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I must say that despite the ingenuity of this web browser design, I'd rather browse on a PSP.

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yay trolling is fun

19. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Stating my opinion = trolling?

20. Kimi macrumors regular

This sound cool. Free internet is never a bad thing! I'll be picking one of these up when it's released I think. It'll be most useful for checking thinks while I'm out.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You mean longer load up times? Without the intuitive use of a stylus and keyboard than a D-Pad?

Yea. sounds a little like trolling. even on paper the DS trumps the PSP browsing, only made better by its bigger screen. Even though I hear the PSP browsing is very limited. Opera is very not-limited.

I'd rather get that TV thing though. I think (unsure) that Japan and the UK use the same broadcast format or something.

22. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Well duh, if the Dreamcast taught us anything, it's that typing with a d-pad and surfing the internet with a joystick are the two most wonderful activities ever created.

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Since the PSP's browser runs off the firmware I doubt the load times are any longer than the DS.

But surfing with a D-pad sounds like the most horrible thing I've ever heard. How do you click on links? It's like surfing on a PC without a mouse and tabbing to each link...ouch.

But jimmi, stating an opinion, even a silly one, is not trolling.

24. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Man that sounds really cool.. I only wish I had more time to play games... Darn work...

25. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I think this picture is a very good sign as to the brightness of the new screens!