DS WiFi range

Discussion in 'Games' started by chairguru22, Jun 11, 2006.

1. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

why is it that i can access my wireless internet upstairs using airport at full reception while i can't use my DS? the wireless obviously reaches up here so is the signal just not strong enough for the DS's wi-fi capability?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

DS uses 802.11b and when you're running in mixed mode (b/g) then the b length is significantly shortened. I'd go from 4 bars to 2 in my tibook when I enable mixed mode on my router.

3. chairguru22 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe its my router (Voyager 2100) but I get a good signal. I mean, my PowerBook is on the 20% mark, and the DS works online if you sit in a certain spot. It's so far from perfect it's untrue, but it doesn't seem that reduced to me. definite reduction though.

5. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

how do i change it between the 2 or do i need to/want to?

6. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

B is slower, G is faster. However, the two aren't really compatible. You can run most routers in B/G mode so that both type of connections can connect, but doing so usually limits the range of both. If you're having trouble getting your DS a signal, you can try to switch to "B only" mode in your routers settings to see if that increases the signal quality or distance any.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

your Mac can pick up both b/g signals. it's just down to configuring the router. to broadcast in b or g only.

connect to it (normally "192.168.1.1" in Safari) and browse around there.

though it will be slower to transfer files across, regular internet usage will be fine. unless you have some kind of uber-broadband.