Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsalsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Ever since I got DSL, my keyboard is slow. Sometimes it even freezes up for a few seconds. Is there any remedy to this?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Does it happen randomly or all the time?

is the keyboard wired or wireless?

are the Keyboard Settings in System Prefs both set to fast and short?

(Universal Access isn't on is it?)

The system maybe is busying doing something, check the Activity Monitor in Utilities

Or as cubist said having a firewall in place might fix the problem :)

bsalsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Thanks for the info on the slow dsl. I checked everything out you all suggested. Then when using my word program, I noticed it did the same thing, so I switched keyboards with someone: same thing. I have 2 computers (one is a PC, don't hate me. Needed it to run one program) They are plugged into a Miniview 4 port USB KVM switch so I can use one monitor, one keyboard and one printer. Is this the problem?

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Did you try testing the keyboard(s) without it being connected to this Miniview Hub but straight to the computer?

If you can try this maybe we can see if this fixes the problem :)

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Did you have to install anything to get the DSL running? If so, then the software you installed is probably hogging resources. When I got DSL it came with some software that had to read and write large chunks of data to the hard drive every 30 seconds, causing my computer to lag and crunch and grind. We need to know how you have your DSL hooked up to your computers as well. Is it wireless? Ethernet? USB?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by OutThere761
Did you have to install anything to get the DSL running? If so, then the software you installed is probably hogging resources. When I got DSL it came with some software that had to read and write large chunks of data to the hard drive every 30 seconds, causing my computer to lag and crunch and grind. We need to know how you have your DSL hooked up to your computers as well. Is it wireless? Ethernet? USB?
Most people try to look for ethernet DSL/Cable modems and use DHCP or manually enter the ISPs settings into the computer, rather than using the ISPs software -- because they tend to create more problems than they solve.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I found that out the hard way, but there are two possible situations resulting in the use of the ISPs software:

A) It tells you to. Generally people follow instructions.

B) He is using USB (when I'm at home I have a USB PhoneNET adapter), which requires special drivers. The drivers for the phoneline networking adapter are buggy as hell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.