DSL issues!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by camobag, Aug 19, 2004.

1. camobag macrumors regular

camobag

Hey guys,

my dsl connection is kinda pissing me off. I just got it in my apt. and for some reason, it just stops working even though my airport reception is perfect. For example:

--I get on my comp
    --my comp connects beautifully with the router
    --the internet is blazing fast
    --the internet slows done
    --my browser says the server is down.

now, this happens multiple times while surfing on the internet. It works, then it doesn't...can anyone help? Or, direct me?

I just got SBC Yahoo dsl.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. starcrossed macrumors regular

Your gonna have deal with SBC tech support. With my SBC DSL, it used to go down like all the time. The red light DSL light would be blinking on the modem, and I couldn't surf the web or anything, and turning the modem on and off wouldn't help at all. I then figured that if I took the phone cord from the modem and plugged into a real phone, and opened and closed a few times, then turn off the modem, plug the cord back into the modem and turned it back on, I would get a good signal for a few hours but it would go down again. After talking to SBC, they said the reason it was going down was because my DSL speeds were too fast for the distance I was from the main whatever SBC runs their DSL from. So they dropped the speeds from 1MB down to like 200kb or so, which sucks, but it would still drop. Well, now that I have my Airport Express, for some reason it has not dropped at all, and why that is, I don't know. But anyways, call tech support, and let them know but the moral of the story SBC DSL sucks, and i'm just waiting for my contract to be over so I can switch.

4. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Have fun with tech support. It'll take you 3 hours on the phone to get your problem fixed. I have SBC Yahoo dsl and the customer support stinks. Once it went down and after being on the phone for hours I got it back working but they put it so only 1 computer could be connected to the internet at a time. They wanted us to pay $10 a month for the "add-a-computer option" :mad: With 4 computers connected the router there was no way I was going to pay that. So with a quick call to the router company they updated the firmware and within 10 min it was working fine. :)

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

1. Check DSL and rule out errors with line, modem, etc.
    For one, go to www.dslreports.com and run the series of tests. It MAY show something. Also, make sure line filters are installed on each phone extension.
    2. Try direct connect without wireless to verify DSL and rule out wireless.
    3. It could be reception with airport. Is your wireless secure? Do you or someone close have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone or baby monitor in use? Its amazing how many of these devices cause networks to slow down to a crawl.

But with your symptoms, it sounds like an SBC issue at the host end. Your machine is probably static on DHCO and my guess is that your particular node is having difficulty. But at least now you have the wherewithal to troubleshoot.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

ive generally had good reasonable customer support from SBC...
    ...and i was about to suggest a router before i finished reading your post :p
    screw $10/computer, thats gay :p

7. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

camobag

So with a quick call to the router company they updated the firmware and within 10 min it was working fine--i like my mac

Is there another place to call, other than the sbc yahoo tech support even if my router came from them? I'm just curious because I didn't buy a separate router.

8. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Does your router say SBC on the side?
    I got mine from SBC but it's a Netgear brand.

9. camobag thread starter macrumors regular

camobag

Mine says 2wire--give them a call if sbc can't fix it?
    thanks again

10. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

It wouldn't hurt. But I'm pretty sure they can fix it. Hint: For faster service mumble, "I wonder if cable internet has these problems...."

11. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

If your router is not brand labeled, and has an SBC or Verizon label, look at the firmware. It will have a brand in there somewhere. In that case, call the manufacturer or peek at the web site.

With SBC it really is easier to tell them you have XP. If you think its the line and the hardware tell them for sure. Everytime I tell them I have a Mac, they blame the Mac, when I know its the modem or the line. If I call back and tell them I have XP they test the line and find the problem.

12. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Really? Because when I called and they asked what os I had I answered 10.3, 9.2, XP, and Win 2000 and the tech support wanted me to use the mac with 10.3 to fix it.

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've got SBC DSL, too, and I have the same problem. I'll be getting all 4 bars on airport reception, but I won't be able to connect to any sites. It's SBC's problem, and they say it's mine, because I have a router....

My friend has the same problem, and he doesn't have a router...