dsl on osx

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wake up Jobs!!!, Jul 30, 2002.

1. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

Hi, I am using earthlink Dsl on my dads g3 400 powerbook on os 9. I find It extremely slow for dsl, could this be becaus he is rumming a slow processor or is it that earthlink dsl sux? Any was I am planing to get a new mac by the end of the summer, with osx, but I dont know what Dsl clients work on osx. Which is the fastest Dsl client for the mac?

Thanx
    GaBe-

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I am not sure what you are refering to as a DSL client, but the fastest DSL ISP that I have seen is the bell companies. Bellsouth, Southwestern Bell, Atlantic Bell etc. As far as working in X. There is a very easy way to make it work. Get a linksys BFSR41 firewall router, and boom. It will work.

Hope this helps.
    C

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'd recommend Pipex but they're in the uk, I have 512 down 256 up, and I get around 60 k per sec down and 30 up.

4. richierich macrumors newbie

I am running a bt adsl connection (UK) with an alcatel modem. Is there anyone else out there using this as the modem never appears in the modem drop down so I have it on a Null modem. I am sure this is not the best way, but I have all the udated OSX drivers and it doesn't work!!!! Great.....

Regarding speed though seems to be ok!:) apart from IE obviously;)

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Alcatel speedtouch? I have that, it's working perfectly and I'm getting a nice throughput of around 100-125k/sec out of it. Are you using the PPPOE protocol?

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have Earthlink DSL up here in MA, and it is fast... You might have a problem in the line somewhere. How far from the phone station are you??? THAT will determine how fast your DSL speed is. I am under 1000 feet from the station, and I constantly see at least the 1.5Mbps (peaking at close to 2Mbps) that I was promised (downstream with a 384Kbps upstream).

As for client software under OS X, you don't need any. Just configure the network preference pane to reflect what they have you use (such as PPPOE) and you are good to go.

I also have a Airport base station and network at home. The base station keeps me online 24/7 and the network allows me to use the printer from any computer (the printer sits on the network). I enjoy being wireless with the TiBook, since I can go anywhere within 150 feet of the base (all of the apartment as well as most of the yard where I live).

For those in the UK, wuJ is in the US, so it will do him NO good to hear what ISP you are using. :p

BTW, W-_-W, those speeds you listed are pitiful. :eek: :p :D

7. richierich macrumors newbie

Its not my settings that are wrong, its that the alcatel modem does not appear in the modem choices (drop down menu). Do you know where to get drivers to get that working Topicolo???:)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How the hell are you using it that you need drivers??? Even if I connect directly to my DSL modem, I don't need any kind of drivers (use the Ethernet port, that what it's there for :rolleyes: ).

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Alphatech, that's pretty good for 512, I'm within 1 k of the exchange, don't worry as soon as I upgrade to a higher speed you'll be the first to know.

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, unless you have the USB version of the speedtouch, you shouldn't need any drivers (all included in OSX). In case you do tho, here's the website for the drivers Alcatel Speedtouch Drivers

Hope this helps

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I got DSL from Verizon, those bastards told me that I couldn't hook up a Mac to it. I whipped out my iBook, hooked it up to their network, and showed them how idiotic they were. :D