Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justinc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
London
Hi all,
I'm trying to setup a Router DSL scenario between my G4 and G5. I'm using a Zyxel Prestige 650H-E series. At the moment the 2 macs are seeing each other but when i enter the IP address into IE to setup the internet connection, nothing happens.......

Is this something that anyone could help me with here, or is there a better place to post this query?

If so -
I'm using cross over cables - could that be a problem?
Could my Built in Ethernet be conflicting?
and btw - what is the difference between PPoA and PPoE?

Thanks for any help in advance....

Justin

pncc

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
justinc said:
Hi all,
I'm trying to setup a Router DSL scenario between my G4 and G5. I'm using a Zyxel Prestige 650H-E series. At the moment the 2 macs are seeing each other but when i enter the IP address into IE to setup the internet connection, nothing happens.......

Is this something that anyone could help me with here, or is there a better place to post this query?

If so -
I'm using cross over cables - could that be a problem?
Could my Built in Ethernet be conflicting?
and btw - what is the difference between PPoA and PPoE?

Thanks for any help in advance....

Justin

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Your phrasing doesn't make total sense.

I take it you have DSL service from somewhere (doesn't matter) that includes a DSL modem. You also say you have a DSL router and two Macs. Then I assume you want to share that DSL connection.

First, make sure the DSL connection works by connecting the DSL modem to either of the Macs and setting it up according to the instructions included. If it works, great.

Use plain ethernet cables when running between any device (modem, hub/switch, router) and a computer and cross over cables when running direct computer to computer or device to device. I believe all Macs now adays have auto switching ethernet ports so it doesn't matter what you use connecting to/from the Macs, the computer will figure it out.

Now turn off or unplug the DSL modem and connect it to the WAN port of the router. Connect a ethernet cable to one of the Macs and a LAN port on the router. Turn ON the router and DSL modem and wait for the modem light to indicate a connection. In the router manual should be info on how to configure it. Most routers have a WEB interface that is accessed by typing in an IP address of 192.168.1.255 or something like that. Follow the router instructions for PPPoE or whatver your DSL provider requires. I would recommend writing down the DNS info that the router gets from your DSL provider and entering it in the network Pane of System preferences on the mac even though most routers and DSL providers say it isn't necessary. Once one Mac is up and running, connect the other Mac and set it up the same way as the first.

Your network should look like this:

DSL modem---router WAN port---router LAN port 1---Mac 1
---router LAN port 2---Mac 2

CHANGE THE DEFAULT PASSWORD ON THE ROUTER!!!!
Make it a good password utilizing letters and numbers and not be a word in any language. The first letter orf words in a phrase is good and easy to remember. 'My mother is 50 years old' = Mmi50yo.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Your router is a 4-port ADSL router and modem, I believe. It sounds as though you are trying to access the router via a web interface and the router does not respond - is this correct? Or are you trying to actually connect to somewhere on the internet?

If you can't see the router configuration page, make sure you're using the correct IP address (the internal IP address from the router).

Your setup would look like this:

Incoming DSL line
|
|
|
ADSL Modem/Router - - - - - Mac 1
|
|
|
Mac 2

Mac 1 and Mac 2 should be connected to the LAN ports on the router with normal ethernet cabling. If they can see each other, I would say that part is set up okay.

You may need to reset your router to the default settings if the IP address or password have been changed (see the manual). Then do what pncc suggests and change your password to something more robust than what is built in (which often is "admin" or nothing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.