DSL Routing to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Toad816, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Toad816 macrumors newbie

Ok I can't get a straight answer on ho wto do this, so if anyone can help, please do. Heres what I want to do....
    I have a G4 tower connected to Sympatico DSL and I want to wirelessly send the internet to the computer downstairs, its an older PC running Windows XP. So if someone can tell me what I need to send the internet to that computer from my mac that would be great, thanks.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You should be able to use your mac to share the signal I have never heard of someone doing to with a PC at the other end but it should work. So you would need a airport extreme card for the mac and a wireless card for the PC. The other option is to buy a wireless router so you don't need the mac on to use the PC.

3. Toad816 thread starter macrumors newbie

K thanks, but I'm not sure what kind of wireless router to get and then which 2 types of cards I would need. Oh and if there is a cheaper way to do the connection I would love to hear, I'm on a budget.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If you want the cheapest way to do this would be to have a wireless router by the mac have the mac cabled into the router and have a wireless card for the PC. I know many people here would have suggestions of good cheap wireless routers. This option would for sure work. And would be the cheapest i would think.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

That is exactly the configuration that I have. I have SBC DSL come into a Linksys WRT54G wireless router which is hardwired to my Mac Mini. I have a pc with a Dlink wireless card and also an iMac with built-in wireless. Works like a champ, and any computer can access the internet at any time, and the router has a hardware firewall which helps keep down on internet attacks to the pc, since nobody on the outside can see it. I am sure there are cheaper routers out there that can do the same job; check Dlink for cheap 54g routers. From what I have heard stay away from Fry's brand (AirLink+).

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You just mentioned one of my pet peeves......it does not have a firewall but NAT. Its not a true firewall but it does the job.

This would be the route i would go.