DSL with router problems. Please!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jay212, Dec 16, 2002.

1. jay212 macrumors newbie

I have a DSL line that I have going through a Linksys 4 port router. The speed fluctuates dramatically sometimes slowing down to a near halt or not working at all. A combination of unplugging the router, unplugging the modem, disconnecting and reconnecting in the router settings and just plain screaming obscenities sometimes fixes the problem. I have done a speed test on a site and it goes from an aprox 680 per second rating of "fantastic" all the way down to 50. Could there be a hardware problem with the router or modem? I suspect that it might be the router because when things are not working properly sometimes 192.168.1.1. in the browser window is unable to bring up the router settings page. I only have me and my roommate on the system. If he is using it would my speed decline substantially? I am about ready to switch to cable if I can't fix this. Thanks

2. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I've recently developed this problem on my home network(cable modem and netgear wireless 4 port router).

Some times is fast and sometimes it makes dial up look like a T3. Never had this problem before. Just started about a month ago.

3. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

It's much, much more likely that the problem is farther upstream with your DSL provider, rather than a problem with your router, especially since you are seeing the problem only intermittently. Just to verify, though, you can circumvent the router and connect a computer directly to your DSL modem (of course your roommate would have to agree to this test). If you still get the problem, then - bingo - at least it's not your router...

And yes, of course your roommate sharing the connection would slow it down (esp. with streaming media or large file downloads), but it by no means should bring your network to a halt.