Dual 1.25 G4 with 320 GB or 1.8 G5 with 250 GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pose, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Pose macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2003
    I am buying a new computer and I am stuck with the question of which to buy. Keep in mind that I am using it pretty much soley for serious video editing. Thanks for your help...

• Dual 1.25GHz w/ 2MB L3 Cache per processor
    • 1GB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2 DIMMs
    • 2x160GB Ultra ATA drive
    • Optical 1 - Apple SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • Optical 2 - None
    • NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium dual-display w/128MB DDR
    • Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel)
    • 56K internal modem
    • Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
    • Mac OS - U.S. English

or this...
    • 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    • 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
    • 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
    • Apple Studio Display (17" flat panel)
    • 56k V.92 internal modem
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English
  2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    G5 by a mile only dont go for the lousey fx5200 get the 9600 for 50 more bucks. G4's are ok....G5's are rocking and by the way Mac Addict just did some photoshop test and the 1.8 smoked the dual 1.42 MDD. Macs future is G5 need i say more.
  3. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    While the bandwagon is screaming G5 and holding up such and such test they fail to show that the test are single processor tests. Even MacAddict admitted the dual beat the G5 on dual processor intesive tasks.

If you are going to run a bunch of apps simultaneously or two heavy ones for that matter or a single app that is heavily multithreaded a dual processor 1GHz up match or beat all but the Dual/2GHz/G5.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    When you're moving massive amounts of data around inside the machine, all the G5s have an edge over the bandwidth constipated G4s.

Plus the 1.8 and the 2.0 G5s have 8 DIMM slots and up to 8GB of memory capacity. While the G4 is a fraction of that.

Sure you may need to pay a little more for external storage, but the extra memory capacity and the data bandwidth is much higher on the G5.

Which may pay for the aggravation and cost of using an external RAID.
  5. straphound macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    I would agree with MacBandit here. For multi-threaded apps the dual G4 will probably still win. Also, you are going to have a lot more room for internal storage such a fast RAID 0 array for a good, fast scratch disk. Most of your serious video apps will benifit from the dual processors and the fast scratch disk more than a G5.