Dual 1.42, Dual 1.8, or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by invaLPsion, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #1
    I don't know what to do! I have been waiting for G5 updates for a month and a half and now there is a lull in information from rumor sites. I have nothing to go on! In addition, I have a new revolution sound card, JBL Invaders, and KDS Radius 17" waiting for a powermac to plug in to. I could buy a Dual 1.42 for $1999 or a dual 1.8 for $2250 (both new) but I want a computer that will last for at least 2 years in terms of high-end gaming and video-editing. Will either of these last? When will the new updates come out?

    I REALLY want to wait for the powermac updates!
     
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

    MoparShaha

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #2
    Go for the dual G5 1.8. That will easily last two years. Just get a good graphics card for it.
     
  3. sethypoo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    #3
    I expect to see G5 updates within the next 2 months, maybe sooner. If I were you, I would wait! That way, you can have a tip top of the line computer that will be smoking fast even two plus years from now.

    Also, max out the RAM if you can. It's lots of money, but the more RAM you put in the longer your computer will be up to date. Imagine, a dual 2.2 Ghz G5 with 8 GB of RAM! Holy cow, that would be faster than a dual 2.0 Ghz G6 with the standard 512 MB of RAM.
     
  4. KevCo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    #4
    As of a few hours ago there were refurbished dual 1.8 G5s at the apple store. Seems they are sold out now (mine is already shipped and on the way) but you might want to keep your eye out for more. They seem to update the special deals section pretty frequently.
     
  5. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #5
    I was thinking about going for one of those refurbished dual 1.8s. I think I will wait, but it's hard watching those boxes of my new hardware just sitting there unused. But I am strong, I WILL make it to the updates!:D
     
  6. Bilba macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2004
    #6
    Go to iTMS and download Olive "you're not alone".

    I am waiting here looking at my HK soundsticks box, waiting for the pbook update...:rolleyes:

    ohh and I have ACME made cover on its way for my "hopefully" soon to come laptop.
     
  7. MattG macrumors 68040

    MattG

    Joined:
    May 27, 2003
    Location:
    Fletcher, NC
    #7
    I just got a new DP 1.8 G5 at work, and I must say...IT ROCKS!! Almost makes me sorry for not waiting and saving up the money to buy myself one of those instead of the DP G4 I have at home. Go for it!
     
  8. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #8
    I have some money in my account left from the iTunes gift certificates I got for Christmas, so maybe I will.;)

    The people who are waiting for powerbooks and powermacs are both in the same boat right now. Hopefully Apple will release them simultaneously as a major update to their pro lineup!:)
     
  9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2002
    #9
    I have a feeling that Power Macs will get an update before the PowerBooks. I went to CompUSA the other day, and on the 15" PB they had a "BEST SELLER" sticker on it. The guy said they were selling like hotcakes. This makes me think PowerBooks will have a bit of a wait for an update, if they're selling this well. Of course, they could surprise us at any moment.

    Power Macs are really overdue for a rehaul. They're either going to update them really soon, or wait until the summer with a big leap from 2GHz to 3GHz.
     
  10. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #10
    Does this machine make the "chirping" noise the first ones did?
     
  11. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #11
    A dual G5 is soooo much better internally than a dual G4. It's a little extra, but the wisest investment you'll ever make. Only time will tell on updated G5s - will a minor speedbump make that much difference to you??
     
  12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

    gwuMACaddict

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2003
    Location:
    washington dc
  13. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #13
    Yes, because I have friends in my neighborhood who are all competing to have the fastest computer. They all use PCs... I want to show them up and then some.

    Plus, I want this computer to last for a while.
     
  14. Maclarny macrumors 6502

    Maclarny

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2003
    Location:
    MN
    #14
    Shut up, wait, and stop bothering me...

    -your brother
     
  15. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #15
    in that case you shouldn't even be CONSIDERING a dual G4.
     
  16. invaLPsion thread starter macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #16
    Consider it unconsidered.
     
  17. spencecb macrumors 6502a

    spencecb

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2003
    #17
    I would surely wait for the updates... Plus, a dual G5 is MUCH better than a dual G4...but, like people have told me, if you need a computer now, then get it now....don't wait if you NEED one. But, we all know that the updated G5 is just around the corner.....
     

Share This Page