Dual 1.8 ghz with monitor, or dual 2.5 without?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SwitchingSoon, Jun 12, 2004.

1. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

hey guys, here's the two systems I'm interested in getting:

• Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
    • 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
    • 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    • ATI Radeon 9600 XT w/128MB DDR SDRAM
    • Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • 56k V.92 internal modem
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $3,259.00

-or-

Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
    • 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
    • 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    • ATI Radeon 9800 XT w/256MB DDR SDRAM
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Bluetooth Module
    • 56k V.92 modem
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $3,193.00

I already have a windoze VGA LCD flat panel (still haven't switched) and was wondering what your advice on these two choices are. I really like the look of the apple flat panel displays compared to my beige bulky gateway monitor (highest resolution is 1024 x 768).

I do photoshop work which occasionally exceeds multiple megabytes. I also occasionally do video work, nothing intensive yet, and I'm interested in trying out FCP.

I am taking courses in graphic animation (maya) this coming school year.

PLEASE HELP. Thanks!

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

get the 2.5 you can always get another monitor later

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

you can get a pretty good CRT practically dirt cheap if you look around some. So if worse comes to worse, you can get the 2.5 and add a cheap moniter to it for the resolution improvement. But I would get the 2.5. You'll be happy longer IMO.

4. SwitchingSoon thread starter macrumors regular

Alright. Thanks. I guess I could save the money and get a monitor next year...such a tough decision since most people said I probably wouldn't need the power

5. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

If you think about it you can't upgrade the processor right now. Later, if you could it would be very difficult due to the liquid cooling system. So upgrade whatever you can't first when you order then upgrade from there

6. SwitchingSoon thread starter macrumors regular

7. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Yep, go with the 2.5Ghz. Use your old monitor until you save up enough to get a new one.

That is an incredible computer. Good luck with it.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

either way, add more RAM to it than 512. There's very little point in having 2 amazing processors when the system is completely starved for RAM. Putting 512 RAM in a G5 is like buying a Ferrari and putting the cheapest tires you can find on the wheels (well, it's not a perfect analogy ;) ); why spend a fortune on the machine but cheap out on an essential component that will make a huge difference?

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Heck if I was getting a 2.5ghz G5 I would take the gateway monitor any day if it meant the difference between the 1.8 and the 2.5! Go for the 2.5, u won't regret it. Please post pics if you get one!

10. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If you are going to purchase an Apple Display, you might consider purchasing it with your Powermac. So that in case you do end up buying AppleCare both the computer and the display will be covered. Otherwise, just the computer would be covered. I don't really understand why Apple does this besides to boast display sales.

11. SwitchingSoon thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, i'm planning on getting RAM and installing it myself.

As for the monitor, i would love to buy it at the same time but my budget is around 3200-3300.

I'm planning on just getting one on ebay or something for cheap anyways

btw, where in Arkansas?

I'm from Arkansas too. Hot springs.

12. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

PowerMacMan

Definately the 2.5... Monitor is upgradable but processor isn't... :cool:

13. aykew macrumors newbie

I do agree that the dual 2.5 will be an absolutely incredible machine, but there are a couple advantages to getting the 1.8 + display. For one, you can go right out and buy a 1.8 today! Also, (and more significantly... the 2.5 will be worth the wait!) for just $200 more (after $500 rebate), you can upgrade your display to the 23" Cinema HD, but only if you buy before WWDC, and only if you buy the system and monitor at the same time. Remember, the monitor is the primary interface between you and your computer, and a nice display can make all the difference. They don't get much better than the Cinema HD!

14. SwitchingSoon thread starter macrumors regular

that's true too. i really don't want to wait until august 2nd to get the 2.5. I start moving into school august 8th, and I've never had my own mac before. that means i only have a few days to learn how to use the system. Sucks. I dont know. I could go either way. it's really tough.

15. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I know that is the estimated shipping date but someone who ordered one called apple and they said it should ship earlier. Either way get lots of ram (2 Gigs + for a G5) and have fun on your new mac when you get it.

16. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

go with the 2.5!!! you can always get a monitor later. . . and come on noone here has mentioned the rumor of newer and cooler displays that may be comming out soon?!!! so wait to see what comes out and in a year or so when you have more money again im sure whatever monitors are around will be cheaper!

17. SwitchingSoon thread starter macrumors regular

Ordered the 2.5 ghz option plus printer/scanner all in one!

YAyyyyy...... can't wait

Estimated shipping: July

18. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

congratulations!