Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Is there a big enough jump in performance to justify the extra expense? Anyone know? Ordering today and would like some input. Thanks.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
I'd say it really depends on what you want to do with it. The price difference is certainly substantial ($500), but so not quite so big if you end up upgrading the HDD (80GB in the 1.8 vs. 160GB in the 2.0), and the RAM (256MB vs. 512MB). Another thing to consider is that you can get a refurbed 2.0 for what a new 1.8 will cost you. Just something to think about.

The 1.8 is now limited to 4GB RAM and has no PCI-X slots. This may or may not be a big deal to you.

Another thing to consider is that for graphically intensive work a Dual 1.8 with a good GPU will outperform a 2.0 with the 5200. You can check that out on barefeats.

Enjoy your new PM, I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
So I'm not really sure what I'll be doing with it. In any case, buying refurbs isn't really that good of a deal since I'll still have to pay tax through Apple. If I buy from clubmac they have all sorts of free stuff that they throw in. The hard drive and RAM do affect things as price breakdown is as follows:

Dual 1.8
$1999
768 MB Included + 1 GB expansion ($179)
80 GB HD + 160 GB upgrade ($80)
=$2258

Dual 2.0
$2499
1.5GB RAM
160 GB HD

So then, is the 2.0 worth the extra $250 for the 8% boost in performance MacWorld claims in benchmarking. Barefeats basically says the same thing but they think the extra little bit is worth it. Macworld says go for 1.8, barefeats 2.0. So I'm not sure of the best value.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
With a $241 difference I'd say it's now a toss up. Personally, I'd probably get the 1.8 and upgrade the GPU if you have an absolute ceiling of $2500.

the_nole

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2004
LOS ANGELES, ca
Zeke said:
So then, is the 2.0 worth the extra $250 for the 8% boost in performance MacWorld claims in benchmarking. Barefeats basically says the same thing but they think the extra little bit is worth it. Macworld says go for 1.8, barefeats 2.0. So I'm not sure of the best value.

well i was in a similar situation. i ended up getting the dp 1.8 because i put the rest that i 'saved' into a new mouse and monitor (lets not forget apple care and tax). the only thing i am disappointed is the ram situtation.

only having 4 rams slots vs 8 is kinda a bummer but what exactly are you going to be needing w/more than 4 gigs of ram?

i think the debate is weather it is worth the extra money to get 4 more ram slots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.