Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac Released

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Nov 18, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Apple released a new Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac today. The new model introduces a second dual G5 configuration to the PowerMac line.

The new PowerMac offers Dual 1.8GHz G5, 900MHz Frontside Bus, 512MB DDR400 SDRAM, Superdrive, and NVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.

The new PowerMac G5 product line:

Single 1.6GHz PowerMac - $1799 (from $1999)
    Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac - $2499 (new)
    Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac - $2999 (Unchanged)

The Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 was first rumored in July. The new dual model was rumored to shift some demand from the popular 2.0GHz processors.

2. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

this is going to make it hard not to get one for christmas...

:D

3. macrumors newbie

Damn, and that 20" monster iMac too!

4. macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

how the hell do you do it arn how the hell do you do it great news though

5. macrumors newbie

tck - lived in beijing, now in the states
    sweet! the g5's are really moving into a nice price point..

6. macrumors 68000

Squire

That would be my choice of PowerMacs now. It's the best value in my opinion. (So there isn't a single 1.8 GHz anymore. Hmmm.)

Now if they only lower the prices on the LCDs, I'll be ready to make the leap to the "Pro" line.
    Squire

7. macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Interesting move. Comparing the features, the Dual 2.0 comes out quite badly in the value for money department. I wonder how that will affect sales of the high end model?

8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

anyone bother to read the link?

9. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

The dual 2,0 is ready for an upgrade as it no longer has clear advantages over the next in line.

Any time now. Any time!

10. macrumors member

Erh, Apple site says just the 15" and 17" iMacs and single 1.8GHz G5...

11. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

12. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

see the press releases linked from the main articles. Apple's site is still updating.

arn

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hmmm...

Any changes on the single 1.6 G5, or are people going actually going to have a shot back at $200 from the Apple Store this time on VERY recently shipped units?

14. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

This is what the Powermac line-up should have been from day one. The new configuration will likely be the most popular model. It is such good value for the performance it offers.

15. macrumors member

Thanks Arn!

De Dual 1.8 GHz sounds really nice, too bad I just bought a 15.2" PB. Not that the dual would be a good replacement, but I can't spend my money twice...

16. macrumors 68040

Can one say 2.5GHz by January for the top end?

While some seem to think that this is to take pressure off the top end I don't believe it. First there isn't a great deal of differrence in performance for single threaded applications with the old configurations. Second I can't really believe that the 2GHz 970 is that hard to come buy that they need to take presure off the top of the line model. Nope, in my opinion they are getting ready for a faster top of the line model, which will put the 2X 1.8 GHZ SMP machine squarely in the middle.

Now clearly it is open to speculation as to how fast this new machine is to run. It does seem like apple will need to hit 2.5 GHz or better in the January time frame to keep pace with there public commitments of 3GHz in a year.

Thanks
    Dave

17. macrumors member

That's probably why Apple waited until now. Had Apple released these models, the dual 1.8 probably would have been the most popular model. By waiting, the dual 2.0 was the best seller. Apple was able to squeeze an extra couple of hundred dollars out of the early adopters.

I'm surprised the single 1.8 wasn't at least a BTO option on the lowend model. There's a pretty big jump in price from low to midrange products. Offer an upgrade for an extra $300 and make most of that in profit. Plus, those sales have to go through the online store, which we know Apple likes.:p

18. macrumors newbie

they didnt support 8 Gigs of memory before did they??? good lord!!!!

19. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

they did.

arn

20. macrumors newbie

I don't think this was done to curb the demand for the dual 2ghz g5's. Is there a demand?!?

It was inevitable; before the mac g5 surfaced; the G4 line was exactly the same;
    Lower end model was single processor (with option to build you could have added a second processor) and the mid and high end models were dual processor.

Good move on apple's part; not great!
    Wizard (dave) nailed it: First there isn't a great deal of differrence in performance for single threaded applications with the old configurations.

All that apple has done is optimize their killer apps.
    Don't get me wrong; The G5 is a great computer but I dont see a need right now for 64 bit pci-x computing.

I will admit that if the dual 1.8 was priced at 1999 I would get one hands down. That's 499 cheaper than what it's priced at and 299 cheaper for the educational discount.
    That'll never happen though. Until then enjoy the optimized apps and raw power that can't be fully utilized just yet.

21. macrumors member

Not quite. As I understood Apple's strategy they had 1.8DP ready for day one, but did wait with the launch as long as the top model sold as fast as the can make them.
    Only after the demant started to drop they introduced a new sweet spot. Apple collected a lot of dollars with 2.0 model. I think that we'll see 2.2 or 2.5 introduced very soon and 1.6 model dropped so that entire line will stay DP.

22. macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

The Dual 2.0 is selling extraidonarily well. I heard from internal sources that they expected it to sell half the number of units in the first 3 months that it eventually did.

23. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

nice addition to the powermac line, perhaps setting the pace to all dual configs for the pro's? perhaps early next year they will have dual 1.8 2.0 and 2.5? they need this so they can do a consumer line with single g5's in em. that 1.25 g4 imac is a dog right now. how many years of moto stagnation will apple keep partaking in? a 1.25 g4 would be good for emac but not imac and what they charge. the pro tower line is shaping up and getting better all the time.

24. macrumors 6502a

Wonder Boy

there should have been dual 1.8 g5s to begin with.

25. macrumors newbie

My order for PowerMac single 1.8GHz was updated to DUAL 1.8GHz. The price remained the same. :D

Now, I'm actually happy they kept postponing my order. :p

-happo