Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imspace2

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2001
Maryland
This is really no big news I've got my fingers crossed for MWNY for G5 with faster bus and ram speed and an upgraded Superdrive would be nice too Probably 20x Read 4x write for dvd and 40x read for cds with 16 or 20x write

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
I agree

Apple can't make a huge deal out of this NOW (why weren't these machines announced at MWSF? They seem to be available for immediate delivery, as rumoured, which would have given the same lead-in as for 800MHz iMac).

Another reason they can't make a big deal is, I presume, because they will be replaced with more seriously revamped machinery in the (near?) future. 'Hey here's the greatest thing since the wheel! --Oh, (1 month later) sorry, actually THIS is the best thing since the wheel...'

The really good news is the price. The next BIG thing won't come so cheap. To buy or not to buy?

bingimar

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2001
Reykjavik / ICELAND
its mine !!!!

I´m buynig one even if the **** ing G5 comes out 3-4 months later. The thing is that this computer serves all my need for for desktop publishing and artdesign, even if i have to put out 5.000 $ for the dual here in iceland.

Steve M

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
What everyone's forgetting:

They dropped the prices! For years, the PowerMacs have been priced at $1699, $2499 and $3499, and now they're $1599, $2299 and $2999. Far more power and a lower price! Way to go Apple :)

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
Finally Apple's broken the Gigahertz barrier! It's about time! With a Gforce4
:D Still no g5...

It' really a 2Ghz barrier they've broken if they have dual processer.

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
this forum sounds a little more down about the upgrades than the other... I think the upgrades are great. Apple couldnt have let the iMac and the towers stay at their current position... GForce 4? Awesome! More RAM? Great! Bigger hard drives? yay! be happy with the G4's.. I dont think anyone could seriously have thought the G5's would have come out today without a giant fanfare.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Originally posted by chicagdan
I like the way Apple just posted them with zero fanfire ... break the gigahertz barrier, ho hum.

Yeah..... perfect. I like that there is NOTHING about the GeForce 4 MX on Nvidia's web site.....

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
Originally posted by ilikeiBook
Finally Apple's broken the Gigahertz barrier! It's about time! With a Gforce4
:D Still no g5...

It' really a 2Ghz barrier they've broken if they have dual processer.

Not really..... if it were a 2Ghz barrier, the speed would be rated at about 25 gigaflops.....

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
GFlOps! Remember MIPS?

This GigaFlops stats remind me of the good-ole' days when the scorching 68040 25Mhz was toutes at the 50 MIPS chip!

Heck, SGI's even used the "MIPS" chip.

MIPS, or Millions of Instructions Per Second (for you non-geeks here), was king!

Just out of curiousity, anyone know what kind of MIPS the G4's are getting now?

HorseHead

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2002
Question

Is there something f'ed with the SuperDrive that a lot of you don't want it or is it just the cost??
I want to get the dual gig's but i'm wondering if there is going to be that much of a difference in noticable performance over the 933. Anyone have any idea?

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Re: Question

Originally posted by HorseHead

I want to get the dual gig's but i'm wondering if there is going to be that much of a difference in noticable performance over the 933. Anyone have any idea?

the dual machine should be very noticeably faster in mac os X

Marvenp

macrumors member
Oh stop your bitchin' already!

Damn it Stop your bitchin'! You all wanted a new machines and now you've got them. In my opinion they kick ass! Yeah it's not the G5 and no it doesn't have DDR RAM but Apple is trying. They're a company NOT Santa Claus. We all have our wish lists but let's give Apple a break. Do you expect them to introduce a new product every freakin' week? Even with these minor speed bumps, they STILL kick the **** out of any similarly priced PC.

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
Dual vs. Single...

Okay, I'll say this once and only once. If you plan to use applications that are specifically written to take advantage of dual processors, by all means go after the twin CPU machines. If not, and you are just going to do general work go for the mid or lower end machines. 'Nuff said.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Re: Powermac

Originally posted by Macmaniac
Lol PC users will be drooling as they see Mac people buy computers with G Force 4, Haha u have to wait!

Not all who wander are lost.

Check out my pole in Software rumors.

Rember though,
Geforce 4 MXMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMMXMXMXMXMXMXMXMX not Geforce 4, the actual Geforce 4 has somewhere around 128mb DDR memory, and there is no option to switch to that card, meaning peecee users will have ultra-fast Geforce 4's while were stuck with Geforce 4 MX's at least until apple provides an option to switch. also , has anyone noticed how much better these are than the previous macs:

G4 DP 800- 80gb Hd, Geforce 2 MX 64mb SDR, 256mb RAM, Superdrive, no monitor, $3,499

G4 DP 1 GHZ- 2x80gb HD, Geforce 4 MX 64mb DDR, 1536mb RAM, Superdrive, no monitor, $3,499

G4 DP 1GHZ-80gb HD, Geforce 4 MX 64mb DDR, 256mb RAM, Superdrive, no monitor, $2,999
Goood job apple!!!!!

ilikeiBook

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
This is a bigger breakthrough than the new iMac. They should've released it at MWSF. Breaking the gigahertz barrier is alot more important than a new design. These macs are awesome!:D

And the price!

A dual 1Ghz machine for under $3000!:D

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
first of all, they didnt want to screw over the new imacs, you know that 150,000 imacs have been pre-ordered by people, hmm looks like we might have more than 1million imacs sold this year. Also They couldnt Debut at MWSF because of the Geforce 4, remember ITS NOT EVEN OUT ON NVIDIAS SITE, THE GUYS WHO MADE IT. maybe 3 days, when people actually have them

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by ilikeiBook
This is a bigger breakthrough than the new iMac. They should've released it at MWSF. Breaking the gigahertz barrier is alot more important than a new design. These macs are awesome!:D

And the price!

A dual 1Ghz machine for under $3000!:D

that's where u are mistaken....this is not the big breakthrough everyone is waiting for....

yes it is a tremendous feat for Apple....

but just wait.....this was quiety released....but wait till they make a hype of the next generation PowerMac....

If Apple would have announced this with the new iMac, it wouldn't have made half the impact it did...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.