Dual 17" Studio Displays on a G4 PowerMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Horrortaxi, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

My wife has a Gigabit Ethernet PowerMac with a 17" Apple CRT. We've just acquired a 2nd Apple 17" CRT and she wants to run both of them of her computer. Her video card has the ADC port and a standard VGA.

An additional PCI video card wouldn't be able to power the ADC. I can't find an AGP card that has double ADC ports. Is there a splitter? The Dr. Bott site suggested there is one. The one thing I saw that might have worked just mirrored the 2 monitors and she wants to span them.

I know there are a lot of people out there using dual displays--but how? Can you do it with 2 ADC monitors?

2. vniow macrumors G4

Apple's CRT ADC monitor can only be powered by an ADC video card, no adapter will work on it. If the other monitor is VGA then you should be able to hook it up to the VGA port and the ADC monitor to its respective connector, if not then you're going to be able to do just one CRT ADC, DVI ADC works with adapters, the one CRT one doesn't however...

3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you are talking about two LCDs powered by ADC, not CRTs?

If you are talking about ADC LCD, what you have to do is to get a video card that has both ADC and DVI on it. Connect one display to ADC, and get Apple's or other other companies' DVI to ADC adapter to connect anoher ADC powered display.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

No, actually Apple did make an ADC CRT. It was quite a nice display.

What you may be able to do is buy a VGA to DVI adaptor (I have seen them, but very expensive), then get Apple's DVI to ADC adaptor (also very expensive). All of this would probably set you back several hundred dollars however. It would be considerably cheaper to buy a second VGA CRT.

5. yamadataro macrumors 6502

oh they did??? excuse me for my ignorance!

oooh, that one. I always thought Apple started to use ADC from their new LCD line.

6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the vga to dvi adaptor is not that expensive i think it even comes with some ibooks emacs etc
    the adc adaptor though will set you back a lot to the point where you should just pick up a new vga 17 inch CRT