Dual 19 inch iiyamas with G5 {help}

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mac Kiwi, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I have my eye on 2 x 19 inch iiyama LCD displays mod - 4821.

My question is can a G5 {2ghz} with a retail 9800 Pro card run 2 DVI monitors,ie is there an adaptor etc,or do Apple have it nailed down to one foreign monitor and one of theirs is all you can use?

Heres some monitor info which I hope might help :)

Max res 1280 x 1024

Mac compatible

Input connector - DVI - I

Comes with a power cable,DVI - D cable,DVI - A cable,audio cable,USB cable,pivot soft etc etc.

Thanks for any help.

Stu.

2. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

Sure can, the 9800 has an ADC and a DVI output...so for ADC output you can get an adapter:

ADC to DVI adapter

I'm sure there is a ton out there by different manufacturers, but this is what I found on my first search, and it seems pretty cheap ;)

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I think Apple even includes one of these with the G5. Not sure on that, though.

4. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

I checked the apple store out, and I think what you mean is the dvi to vga is included in the g5 accessory kit. But what is funny is how apple is trying to protect it's adc monitors??? I only found the ADC to DVI adapter made by apple in a search, not in the main product pages. Also when you order your G5, you can "expand the functionallity of your g5" with all the regular dvi to vga/adc/s-video, but no adc to anything. Ha, just thought that was interesting...I know it's obvious buisness, but thought it was funny.

5. Mac Kiwi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys :D

So you plug one in directly into the DVI slot on the G5,and the other you plug the adc to DVI adaptor into,ok thats makes sense :) I cant do a BTO on my G5 as its pre ordered through my retailer,hence the retail 9800 Pro with AGP 4x,as opposed to the BTO from Apple being AGP 8x.

The only reason I am getting non Apple displays is because these ones have sRGB,rotate tilt and contrast ratio of 600 to 1,that I am sick of waiting for new Apple monitors.

Ya I couldnt find the adaptor I was looking for either,so I was wondering if it was going to be the same as DVD - R and DVD RW if you know what I mean,but ya that is business :)

Stu.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'd been looking at adapters for my phantom G5 for exactly the same reasons, and found the same thing: Apple will sell you a DVI-anything adapter (for cheap, in fact), and apparently kicks in a DVI-VGA adapter with the G5 (I hope so, anyway, since I need it). But if you want an ADC-anything, you can get them, but only from 3rd parties (Belkin, et al).

What I noticed that was REALLY cool is that Apple makes a DVI-video adapter. I don't remember reading or seeing anything about one anywhere, but I noticed it on the extra stuff page after the main CTO page. $20 lets you output a signal directly to video/s-video just like the powerbooks, which will be a wicked-cool way to get that big-screen experience while watching videos on my Mac. Add in the toslink optical-audio-out, and you've got a home theater jukebox! Neat!

7. panphage macrumors 6502

Wrong.

Then again, you can't hotlink to stuff in the apple store...but apple does make a ADC to DVI adaptor.

EDIT: Err, I appear to be a moron. Ahem. Search ADC dvi in the apple store. Doh!

8. Mac Kiwi thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is cool Makosuke :)

Was just quoted 53$ NZ for a DVI monitor to ADC,so thats cheaper then I thought it would be in our currency :D

I am not hugely knowledgeable on this subject,so I am also wondering if a DVI monitor using an ADC adaptor is going to get just as good a signal as the other DVI monitor with no adaptor?

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, I stand corrected and pleasantly surprised. You can get them a little cheaper from 34rd parties, if it's worth the trouble to save $5 (Dr Bott's MCA-ADC-DVI, for example).

Apple doesn't make an ADC-VGA adapter, though, although they're reasonable at $30 from other companies.

Question, if anybody happens to know: Will the DVI-Video adapter that I just got from Apple work with older Apple video cards even though the package says "For use with G5 Computers"? It ironically shipped about a month before my G5 is scheduled to, and I'm wondering if I can have some fun with it without toasting something accidentally.

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes; the ADC connector includes DVI-D, VGA, USB, and DC power. An ADC-DVI adaptor would, therefore, give you the all-digital DVI portion of the signal, meaning it'd be exactly the same as using a normal DVI connector.

I ran into an interesting chunk of info; it looks like there are two versions of the DVI connector: DVI-D and DVI-I. The D version only carries the digital signal, while I has both the digital signal and an analog signal (same thing as in a VGA connector). Obviously the Apple dual video cards (at least the ones they offer with the G5) use DVI-I, since you can buy a DVI-VGA adaptor for them. Makes me wonder whether the ADC-DVI adapters spit out the VGA signal, too, although that's basically academic since you'd kind of hope that your LCD is using the digital half of the signal.

I guess this means the answer to my previous question depends on whether the particular older dual-head card is DVI-D or DVI-I...

11. Mac Kiwi thread starter macrumors 6502a

This might help :)

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800prome/specs.html

At the moment {as in the state of useable technology today} the G5 BTO 8 x AGP and the retail 4 x AGP wont have a noticable difference in performance will they?......I am really hoping for Fire GL s or Quadros but we might be waiting a while longer yet.

If it says for use with G5s I wouldnt risk it,because if you did toast something you would have no comeback.