Dual 1ghz iMac?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by spuncan, Jan 30, 2002.

1. spuncan macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if it would be even possible for a dual processor to fit into the new iMac because I now cooling issues would be fine because of the small but existant fan. I came up with this because in my idea of the coming six months I see first a new powerbook at 733, 800, and 933 or 800, 933, 1.0ghz. Next I see a G5 at 1.2 - 1.6/1.8 at MWNY and available in september like the quicksilver was. After that I see an iMac update around 800, 933, 1.0ghz. Now if the iMac update happens which I beleive is very likely in the 6 months per update scheme of Apple I would really like to see a dual 1ghz processor because Apple couild market it at 2ghz and allow pro users who know about the mhz myth buy the powermac line which consumers dont usually buy. Thus allowing the iMac to be relatively close to the Intel market boosting Apples sales. And no this isn't lying on Apples part because OSX utilizes Dual processors making it a 2ghz model.:)

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

:)

I hope you are right, but what about the iBook? I hope we see it at 1ghz!

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I assume you are talking about Apple putting duals in the iMac... not a user-hack...

unlikely to happen...

1) Most consumers don't care... everyone who is reading this --- you are NOT "most consumers"... Sure bigger is better... but I will guarentee you if you poll all the consumers buying an entry level computer - the number of people who's reason for buying a PC over a Mac is "because the PC has more Mhz" will be small. The biggest reason that random entry-level consumers will buy a PC over a Mac is because that's what their friends have. Note: this is NOT true for the high end... there very well may be high-end design shops etc... that would buy a PC over a Mac due to Mhz issues.... (and that's why the pro line gets dual processors)

2) The increased cost of an extra processor is a lot. You're adding a whole nother $200-$300 part to the computer

arn

4. spuncan thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you read the latter part?

K if you read the last part of my post "Apple couild market it at 2ghz and allow pro users who know about the mhz myth buy the powermac line which consumers dont usually buy. Thus allowing the iMac to be relatively close to the Intel market boosting Apples sales. And no this isn't lying on Apples part because OSX utilizes Dual processors making it a 2ghz model."
    So by then the intel world would be at 2.2ghz all over and maybe a 2.4 would be in a few brands.

5. germanknee macrumors member

The dual 1 ghz processors is not the same thing as a 2 ghz processor, even in OS X. If it was, apple would put multiple low powered chips on their motherboards such as the G3's.

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Dual G4 in iMac

It could happen but not likely. It is a consumer model so there is little need for the average user. Hope for 1ghz TiBook!
    (This is my 50th post)

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Dual G4 in iMac

Up until 6th Jan, the G4 was 'not' a consumer model... Your 'average users' requirements are always increasing, especially with this digital hub ethos that apple is pushing.

8. spuncan thread starter macrumors 6502

no germanknee

germanknee- Actually I beleives its impossible or very hard to make a dual g3. But anyways X is fully Mulitple Processer id est it splits apps among the processers not the individual so unless u have a non dp app that uses over a ghz at a certain speed then you have the equivalent of 2ghz. oh yeah id est is i.e. or is same translated, Latin is Cool

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Dual

Consumer requirements are increaseing but a Dual machine is over kill for the person who wants to type, browse the web, download songs, and play games. It is also expensive to have duals and this would put them out of reach for some people. Apple should keep iMac an afordable consumer PC, if u want a Dual just go with a Power Mac, the cost would be very close.

10. Six macrumors regular

Eh... People complained too much about how the iMac is too close to the Powermac... Remember? After the iMac came out and before the revamped Pmacs, alot of people were furious! Besides, a dual would be considered by pros, and not many graphic artists or anyone like that would probably want to use a 15" monitor.

thats my two cents on it all

11. keithcobbett macrumors member

Dual iMacs just won't happen. Period. Consumers do not have the need for them. Even in the "Digital Hug". Steve has stated that the G3 doesn't even fit into the scheme of things and this is why it was dropped out of the iMac to begin with and the new powerful G4's were put in its place. General consumers are not impressed by how many processors are in their machines. They rate everything on how fast the 1 processor goes and how pictures or video looks.

12. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

this is kind of a silly question

Dual CPU's in an Consumer level computer? Just not going to happen... it well be a long time before that kind of thing startes to happen. The Towers would all come with 4 CPU's standard first.

13. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

Golly me, it's a Gee Three!

Apple had to dump G3s.. they just aren't up to snuff for OS X.. and besides, it's beyond last-year's technology. The G3 is like 4 years old now.. As for dual G3s, it is impossible. G3s are not designed to interface in a MP setup.

I think 800 MHz will be the top for iMac for at least until the end of the year. The problem will be that they can't use the highest rated chip at full speed because it's heat output will likely surpass the rather odd heat sinking arrangement in the iMac. Right now they're probably using 1GHz chips marked down to 800 MHz to meet the heat requirements. Just a guess, but it's been done many times before on many products... Motorola used to routinely mark down the speeds on their chips by as much as 50%. I was able to overclock an old MC68882 from 25 MHz to 50 MHz (read 100% faster) because I knew that their chips were always tested at twice the speed they rated them for back then. We called it "engineer's insurance".. Typically in electronics, good engineering practices call for designing systems to run 30% under max condition as a safety precaution.