Dual 2.0 G5 cant handle WoW

Discussion in 'Games' started by PowermacG5, Dec 5, 2004.

1. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Why in the hell do I have frame rates as low as 3.5 when i go into town. Is this purly lag?

2. hjhhjh macrumors member

something terribly wrong there ... it shuld be in the 30s or 40s

3. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Re-install it. Your G5 should be fine with WoW from what I know. I don't have it but do know it should run.

4. coconn06 macrumors regular

I have a new single 1.8GHz PowerMac with an 9600XT graphics card, and I get anywhere from 15-60 fps in towns, depending. So something is certainly wrong. I have the settings on default (1280x1024 resolution, etc.).

5. rbarris macrumors 6502

When trading performance reports it is pretty important to say which town, and which time of day - as location and population density can have big effects on FPS. If there is a specific town where the impact is the heaviest then we would like to learn more specifics so we can focus on it and see if there is a bug.. location-specific performance bugs have happened before with World of Warcraft.

6. robo74 macrumors 6502

I think there is something wrong... I have never seen rates like that.
    Perhaps I dont get to play as much at peak times, but on the weekend, everyone and their brother is on. Never got anything that low. Dipped down to 15-18 in Crossroads when the place was full....real full.
    Dual 1.8 w/9800 Pro

Rob

7. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Reboot three times in a row, then say. "there
    s no place like home" (XBOX)

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Good luck finding a way to play WoW on an XBOX...

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Mac performance is crippled as some features are disabled in the WoW client. I get decent framerates (1.8 G5, 9600XT) but it sometimes lag. Blizzard is waiting for Apple to install a driver fix in the next update of OS X.

I have a friend in the gaming industry who knows the Blizzard folks. Apparently there is texture cache problem in that WoW doesn't clear the cache. As you visit more and more zones you will eventually "fill" your texture cache and thrash your HD. Framerates will plummet. I've seen this firsthand after visiting about six zones. The only fix (that I know of) is to exit the game and re-enter. This fixes the problem.

In other news, I just got my 20" widescreen monitor and WoW looks...well, WOW! :D

10. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Plays great on my Dual 2.0 G5. I also have 9800 card and 6GB of ram.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Did you find some way to hook it up to your cell phone lcd? and even then, what's your definition of 'great'?

12. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I've never seen the game skip a beat. Other then when the sever is down. I also play on a wireless router, so maybe its your cable modem. I would re-install the game or if it is the G5, then something is wrong with it.

13. coconn06 macrumors regular

:eek:

14. PowermacG5 thread starter macrumors regular

PowermacG5

Re-installing was the answer. I was using my roomates disc to try it the game out on his account. Now i reinstalled with the discs i actualy bought.

Thanks

15. Rob Nance macrumors newbie

I hope you see this reply...

I just bought a geforce 6800 GT and it is running the SAME SPEED as my ati 9600. I am really freaking out because I just dropped $470 on this thing. I am getting 20-40fps in town and never seeing over 50fps, anywhere. This is horrible. I guess I will try and reinstall, I just don't see what that would do.

16. Cfly macrumors regular

how do u check framerates while playing games

im interested in seeing wut i get for ut2k4 and wow etc.

17. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

If WoW slows down due to frequent HD access then adding RAM and upgrading to a RAID is all we can do until game and OS patches appear. I am glad the thread starter solved his super low frame rates now lets aim for super high!

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Perhaps someday, XGrid will work with games so you can have several Powermac G5's contributing to your game's performance. :eek:

19. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, I added another 1GB RAM to my Dual 2.0 G5, bringing it to 2GB. WoW seems to perform quite good now. I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not though. I still have to do the 360 spin when I enter a new zone to eliminate stuttering. I still don't think it performs nearly as well as the PC client but the extra RAM seems like it helped a little.

20. robyrt macrumors newbie

Heh. I'm running it on a 733 G4, with 1.25 GB RAM, and that high-end geforce4 ti (4800? Can't remember and I'm not at home to do a system profile--anyway, it was around $350) card from about 3 years ago. I get an average fps of 17-25. It's playable. I have a friend with two high-end pc's and we get together at his house and do questing there and while the game looks "prettier" on his systems, the gameplay is about the same.

Now, when I'm in Ironforge (especially near the AH) the game just plain goes to pot. I wind up falling in that grill-thing very frequently becuase of laggy performance or game lag. However, I'm not complaining. It's a fun game, I can afford to play it on the system I have, and can dream about a new G5 or building a PC for 1/4 the cost to do the same thing. It's just awfully hard to justify either $500 or $2000 to play a game, and my poor old G4 is still hanging in there for almost anything else I want to do...

21. rbarris macrumors 6502

You might just be running into an issue that is not GPU related.

We have additional speed improvements that we are working on, both in our own code and stuff that Apple will change for possible future updates. WoW is a product that will receive steady maintenance and upkeep over its lifetime, as with our other games.

A common thing that seems to impact people is trying to play with the terrain distance cranked all the way up, if this is the case for you I'd encourage you to try it set at the halfway point.

Rob

22. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

:eek:

I'm with him, OMG 6GB OF RAM!!! - Dang too bad you can't load panther on there and boot from the RAM. That'd load so fast.

Anyone seen the RAM Boards out there where you can run it as a hard drive (and it'll keep your data) the only thing slowing it down is the Processor on the mainboard lol.

23. rbarris macrumors 6502

This is largely affected by texture load speed, something that is our top priority to tune up for an upcoming update.

24. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I play WoW on both the imac and the powerbook in my sig. Everything is turned down to low, and the hardware mouse pointer is disabled. Both preform okay. The powerbook and the imac are running at their native resolutions. The powerbook gets steady 30s outside of busy towns 50s in caves, and 15 in a busy town. The imac gets a steady 25 outside of busy towns and 10-12 in a busy town. All in all very playable and fun.

25. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Thanks, I appreciate the update! Can you address some of the messages pertaining to the game not using as much memory as it could? People have speculated that the game is not using very much memory, thus requiring it to access the hard drive alot.

Early rumors of 10.3.8 are already floating. Can we expect an update to coincide with that?