Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 taking 30 Seconds to sleep sometimes

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pipian, Oct 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Tonight, I tried putting my G5 to Sleep Mode, but it hung around for about 30 seconds to actually go to sleep.. I took it out of sleep mode, and tried it again after fixing permissions. Same thing. What's going on? There are no programs open

2. macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Have you tried shutting it down then starting it up again?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

That worked for a few days, but then it started doing it again. :confused:

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have you tried Disk First Aid and fsck, or tried the machine in safe mode (to see if a background widget is causing the problems)?

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk First Aid - Meaning Disk Utility? I checked Permissions, and DSCK doesn't do anything? I looked in the background processes and saw nothing wrong

6. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

So what, if the problem is in the drives catalog checking permissions won't do squat.

Running Disk First Aid and fsck will check the drive for quite a few of these problems, although neither of them fix everything in one pass.

If there is a problem with the file system/catalog, you'd see some slowdown when you dump stuff to the HD -- and sleeping is dumping stuff to the HD.

Booting into "Safe Mode" is OS X's equivalent to booting with extensions off that we had under OS 9 (heck it even uses the same key to do it). So don't knock it til you try it.

If there is a problem with something you are running, it should help you point it out -- like a .kext file for some widget you may be running that's causing problems.