Dual 2.0GHz G5 as a server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by patseguin, Aug 16, 2006.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I listed my Dual 2GHz G5 on ebay and hope to sell it. In the event I can't, would it make a good server if I throw Mac OS X Server on it? Would a server be of any benefit since my network consists of my mac pro, Mac Book,a nd Xbox 360?

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

pfft, it'd probably be overkill for a server in your situation.

You probably don't need a server unless you want storage... but your MacPro already handles that...

And you wouldn't need OSX Server. The only difference between server and client is that server has a few GUI apps that are already on the Client computers but in UNIX terminal form. Just looking them up and doing server-side things manually should be fine.

3. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

One of the great things about OSX is that you dont really even need OS X Server to use it as a Server. Many of the broadcasting features are already built into OS X.
    OSX Server gives you many more management tools but if your using it just in a Home network its not worth the Price.

Check out this program called SharePoints, which adds Volume sharing management software into your Sys Prefs. which makes it very easy to Share External drives, or other Folders across a network easily.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Any Dual G5 would make an excellent server.... too good really, so yes.. pretty much overkill in a Home network. :eek:

But it really all depends on what you want to do with it.
    A 10-user license still is € 499, so it's pretty expensive just to be toying around with.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

And the '10-user' vs. 'unlimited user' licenses only refer to using Apple's tools and AppleTalk. For the underlying UNIX tools and networking protocols, it's 'unlimited user' even on the non-server edition of OS X. (So, for example, the 10-user license will limit a server to allowing 10 clients to connect using the 'afp://' style, but unlimited using the 'cifs://' style; or unlimited web connects, SMTP, etc.)

Yeah, there are decent tools for 'server' functions built into the non-server version of OS X. If all you want to do is serve up files, though, getting a 'Net Disk' might be better. (An external hard drive that has USB and Ethernet ports.)

6. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Linux runs quite well on the G5. Faster than OS X Server. Lots of companies use powermac G5s as Linux servers. Look at yellowdog linux's client list on their webpage.

But yes this is quite overkill for a home server. A Pentium 2 would suffice for a home server. Dual PM G5 is good for a LARGE company or LARGE university department.