Dual 2 or Referb Dual 2.5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bascule, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Bascule macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Missed the refurb store (uk) on wednesday but am pleased to find out its open every day till the 25th.(Im asssuming lots of Rev Bs to get rid of)

Now my problem is thus.
    I was going to go for a Dual 2 (2.3 would be nice but it technical breaks my budget)
    but dual 2.5 on the refurb store has taken my fancy.

New Rev C (?) dual 2 == £1349
    Referb Rev B dual 2.5 == £1399

Now okay I'd need to add tiger to that ~£90.

Out of the spec differences its only the gfx card (9600 XT vs 9600 )that stops me hitting
    buy now, can someone in the know tell me or point me to some camparisions (things I have seen hint they are the same?)

so about £150 for the faster cpu and FSB.
    Any of your thoughts would be welcome too.

Will be adding 2GB or ram and running with two viewsonic lcds regardles of which one I end up with,

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I would get the 2.5. Refub (when it comes too apple) seems to be just as good as new. The price points are just too close, and you will always be wondering if you should have gone for the 2.5 instead of the 2.0.

Oh, and doesn't the 2.0 only have PCI, where the 2.5 has PCI-X.

Kimo

3. Bozola macrumors regular

Just my $0.02

Any ongoing/longstanding problems with Liquid cooled????

4. Bascule thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct re the PCI-X vs PCI but i doubt I'll use them but its a plus its just the gfx card really.

5. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

get the dual 2.5, faster bus, PCI-X (some compagny are talking about some nice card latly...). For the difference price it's no question.

The 9600 and XT version are nearly the same thing, except amount of VRAM and the possibility to use a 30' with the XT, support dual-DVI. But it's still a lame card for a powermac IMO.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

sorry, not quite sure from your original post - is this a refurb from apple's refurbs? if so, no need to worry about tiger, it'll have it in the box... they put all of the up-to-date software in there, along with the original shipping software. that's how I got my refurb emac - came with x.2, x.3, os 9, and ilife '04 all in the box... which made me happy... I had always wanted to try out x.2 to see how much better x.3 was (this was my first os x mac)...

7. salmacis macrumors member

Hi,

One review about the 2.5 says its very loud under full load (5.1 Sone), whereas the 2.0 is about half as loud (2.5 Sone). However, both were very silent, when idle.

So if noise is an issue for you, and you do lots of cpu-intensive tasks you could consider this. If not, go for the 2.5.

salmacis

8. devman macrumors 65816

devman

only an extra 50 quid out of a 1350+ spend... dual 2.5 every time.

9. Bascule thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the comments.
    Re noise, I had a listen to a 2.5 in the office yesterday to check and it does get louder under strain but its not going to be a problem.

Order placed, now just have to wait.

Cheers

10. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Damn! Beat me to it, had my Visa ready...ah well.